PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Thoughts on my Class System?

ShadowBane22
2016-08-16, 07:46 PM
I want to make a tabletop game similar to D&D, and so naturally I thought the first step would be to come up with a theme and classes to base the gameplay around. I want the game to have a Monster Hunters (Asian mixed with Medieval European) vibe, and I started developing this Class System. I just wanted other peoples thoughts and opinions on it.

Classes - Classes are divided into three categories based upon their TRADITIONAL class playstyle. It should be expressed that each class has many skills and different skills trees, allowing for unconventional playstyles, such as a paladin choosing to be a tank, healer, dps, or a little of everything. Class builds are free in terms of abilities (Only thing set is weapon types, and armor types).

The three categories consists of:

Physical - Melee classes

Magic - All three categories allow the use of magic (i.e. Paladin is Physical but can use holy magic), but this mainly entail pure traditional magic classes (Most of which are ranged).

Tactical: Could be a mixture of the first two or a unique play style. This includes ranged classes, and classes that involve odd or complicated arrays of weaponry/equipment.

Each category is further split into 3 base classes, based on play style and weapon choice, and each base class is split into multiple advanced classes. You start as the advanced class; the base is simply for an idea (They are named primarily after traditional RPG classes).

Physical Classes:

Infighter - Infighter classes involve the use of hand to hand combat, and focus on the use of Chi as their primary resource.

Blader - Bladers are master swordsman and hybrids between both offensive and defensive play styles. Resource management is unique and will be explained further in a little while.

Knight - Knights are heavy armor and shield wielding characters. Primary modes of defense on the battlefield.

Now to Physical Advanced classes, starting with

Infighter

Grappler: Grapplers primarily focus on zone control through the use of throwing enemies. They can use their chi to control hand wraps and chains and use those chains/wraps to grab enemies and throw them, pin them down, or use the chi to harden the wraps into rock solid impact weapons.

Brawler: Brawlers use brass or spiked knuckles in close hand to hand combat. They can use chi to create combat knives, or multiply the person. Brawlers prefer to use their chi capabilities to overwhelm and gang up on the enemy.

Student of Discipline: Students of Discipline learn from an early age how to control the inner workings of their Chi. Where most fighters simply know how to release it into external forces, these fighters discipline themselves to meld their bodies with the Chi. This allows them to turn their hands and feet into deadly weapons capable of breaking steel as easy as they can break teeth.

THIS FORUM IS NOT FINISHED, IT'S SIMPLY TOO MUCH TO FINISH TONIGHT. I WILL RESUME TOMORROW.