PDA

View Full Version : Is there a place to find out statistics for things like total number of traffic stops

Traab
2016-08-16, 10:28 PM
Im not looking for a breakdown into categories like who gets tickets, who gets a warning or whatever, but is there a place where I can see a decent estimate, if not an accurate account, for how many traffic stops are done in america on average every year? Im just curious if its tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, or millions per year. I honestly have no clue.

Telonius
2016-08-16, 10:38 PM
Judging by this (http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=702) from the Bureau of Justice Statistics, the number's well into the millions. 26.4 million people said their most recent police contact in 2011 was a traffic stop; presumably some of those would have been pulled over more than once in the year.

EDIT: Then again it's not totally clear that all the respondents were drivers; some might have been passengers. (Too tired to check the methodology at the moment).

Traab
2016-08-17, 11:32 AM
Yeah that was my problem too. Plus I wasnt entirely certain they meant that they had been pulled over this year instead of, "My most recent contact with cops was the last time I got pulled over" Only to learn they last got pulled over 4 years ago. :p