PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Optimize my Quarterstaff!

Lehrling
2016-08-17, 12:09 AM
Basis: My character is a Monk whose daughter was killed by mages, and so he harbors a grudge against spellcasters. His weapon of choice is the walking staff he held on the day of her death, which he unsuccessfully used to defend her with. He has modified it to disable/kill mages as quickly and efficiently as possible. Due to obvious flavor reasons, none of the mods can be magical.

I have never played a monk before, so I am not sure what playstyle I should focus on, although I know that I do not want to sacrifice unarmed strike potential just for the staff. I would therefore would prefer to avoid burning feats and such for this, unless you think the tradeoff would be worth it. The staff is for flavor; I just want it to also serve a purpose. He will be a Human Qinggong Monk, 20 point buy, using anything but unchained rules from the D20PFSRD site.

The staff is a quarterstaff, but is 2-handed due to the weight of his modifications. Here is what I have so far; please correct and optimize it as you can:

Ramick’s Quarterstaff of Mage Killing (Two-Handed, Masterwork):
Dmg (M) 1d10; Critical ×2; Type B; Price 354 (1gp × 9 [the weapon's base DP]) + 45gp + 300gp

Base Design Points: 9
Additional Design Points x3 (0, +45gp)
Monk (1)
Grapple (3)
Deadly (4)
Improved Damage x4 (4)

Masterwork: +1 to hit (+300GP)

Two-Handed: Apply 1-1/2 times the character's Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks

Monk: Can use it with “Flurry of Blows”

Grapple: On a successful critical hit with a weapon of this type, you can grapple the target of the attack. The wielder can then attempt a combat maneuver check to grapple his opponent as a free action. This grapple attempt does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the creature you are attempting to grapple if that creature is not threatening you. While you grapple the target with a grappling weapon, you can only move or damage the creature on your turn. You are still considered grappled, though you do not have to be adjacent to the creature to continue the grapple. If you move far enough away to be out of the weapon’s reach, you end the grapple with that action.

Deadly: When you use this weapon to deliver a coup de grace, it gains a +4 bonus to damage when calculating the DC of the Fortitude saving throw to see whether the target of the coup de grace dies from the attack. The bonus is not added to the actual damage of the coup de grace attack.

Strategy: Trip the enemy (I have Improved Trip), knocking them prone (-4 to AC) then land as many attacks on them as possible using ‘Flurry of Blows’. Eventually, it will critical and I’ll get a free ‘grapple’ attempt (I alo have Improved Grapple if I don't want to wait). Should I attempt to use that grapple attempt, I can use my ‘Stunning Blow’ to attempt to stun or sicken them, further reducing their ability to fight back. If I can shackle or knock the opponent unconscious, I can coup-de-grace them (sickening them gives them negatives to their fort save). Not sure if Deadly is worth the weapon trait, but I have a difficult time letting go of it.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-17, 04:26 AM
Well, a couple of things.

1) I don't understand why you're improving damage on the staff, while you say you want to use unarmed strikes for damage.
2) Grapple only works on crits, but you don't have Improved Critical Range. You won't crit very often with just 5% chance per hit.
3) Deadly doesn't seem very useful. "If I can shackle them or knock them unconscious" basically translates to "I win". If your opponent resists the first fort save, try again!
4) Your strategy seems roundabout, considering you have Improved Grapple. Just trip and grapple with your unarmed attacks.

Maybe something like:
Extra dp (-3 dp)
Fragile (-1 dp)
Reduced Damage (-1 dp)
Monk (1 dp)
Grapple (3 dp)
Improved Critical Range (3 dp)
Improved Critical Range (7 dp)

Total of 9 dp. The resulting weapon is: 1d2 bludgeoning/18-20/x2, grapple on crit. Essentially, it's a mancatcher.

weckar
2016-08-17, 04:48 AM
if you want to have the staff as a utility tool, I'm pretty sure there's a source out there that allows a quarterstaff to extend to a 10-foot pole with a button. Can't think of where it is right now, though.

A wand chamber may also be a decent idea, but you said no magic, so...

Just get your staff to do things your fists couldn't possibly do (like, pretty sure you can't get a wand chamber in your wrist...).

Seppo87
2016-08-17, 05:11 AM
Ascetic Style, Power Attack.

Use Quarterstaff for everything.
Vicious Stomp? Quarterstaff.
Greater Trip? Quarterstaff.
Medusa's Wrath? Quarterstaff.

PATK is increased in Flurry if you hold it with two hands. Strength is not, but it is on extra attacks (i.e. attack of opportunity)

Avoid grappling

CasualViking
2016-08-17, 06:02 AM

PATK is increased in Flurry if you hold it with two hands. Strength is not, but it is on extra attacks (i.e. attack of opportunity)

Avoid grappling

Ascetic Style for Stunning Fist, Vicious Stomp, Medusa's Wrath etc. with the staff. you can already power attack with it as a two-handed weapon during flurry, adding 1˝ Str if you're an unchained monk. Ascetic Form gives you style strikes with it, not that necessary, and gives you unarmed damage progression (-4 levels) on your staff.

Lehrling
2016-08-17, 08:39 AM

Avoid grappling

Love the idea!
But what mods would work best with this strategy?

Well, a couple of things.

1) I don't understand why you're improving damage on the staff, while you say you want to use unarmed strikes for damage.
2) Grapple only works on crits, but you don't have Improved Critical Range. You won't crit very often with just 5% chance per hit.
3) Deadly doesn't seem very useful. "If I can shackle them or knock them unconscious" basically translates to "I win". If your opponent resists the first fort save, try again!
4) Your strategy seems roundabout, considering you have Improved Grapple. Just trip and grapple with your unarmed attacks.

Maybe something like:
Extra dp (-3 dp)
Fragile (-1 dp)
Reduced Damage (-1 dp)
Monk (1 dp)
Grapple (3 dp)
Improved Critical Range (3 dp)
Improved Critical Range (7 dp)

Total of 9 dp. The resulting weapon is: 1d2 bludgeoning/18-20/x2, grapple on crit. Essentially, it's a mancatcher.

I had increased damage output to increase the fort save on coup. But you're right; once I have them shackled or unconscious, it doesn't matter. Will scrap deadly.
However, if I am going to use Ascetic Style to turn my staff into an unarmed strike, as per the above suggestions, shouldn't I pump the DPS up anyways?