PDA

View Full Version : Original System Mortal Kombat: The Tabletop RPG

Ralcos
2016-08-17, 01:29 AM
I've always wanted to play a tabletop version of Mortal Kombat, or (even better) run it myself.
I decided to build my own system, taking cues from two systems in particular: BESM and Fate Core.

What I have in mind is:

The base stats are Body, Mind, Soul, and Kombat, and each stat has a value determined by assigning scores from the following array (your choice).
2, 2, 3, 4

Body, Mind, and Soul can be affected using the Condition Track, having a number of orbs equal to the assigned score.
A body stat of 3 gives 3 orbs to the Body Condition Track, for example.

The Basic Rule: Roll 2 Fudge/Fate Die (pluses and minuses), and add any bonuses/penalties from stats, traits, abilities/perks, and skills, and compare the result to a set Difficulty Score or Opposed Roll to determine results.

In other words, I'm saying that I have the basic ideas for a system down. All I need is help to determine how the game works beyond these posted ideas.
Comments and Ideas are totally welcome.

Bruno Carvalho
2016-08-17, 06:45 AM
I would like to recommend the Final Stand RPG. It has a nice combination of mechanics and is pretty fun to play. You can surely take some inspiration from it.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/timdenee/FinalStand.pdf

Ralcos
2016-08-17, 07:29 PM
I would like to recommend the Final Stand RPG. It has a nice combination of mechanics and is pretty fun to play. You can surely take some inspiration from it.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/timdenee/FinalStand.pdf

I like a lot of the ideas in here!
I think I'll use it to develop how combat works!

Any other suggestions or feedback?

steelsmiter
2016-08-22, 10:59 AM
Any other suggestions or feedback?

Yeah, I'd recommend having characters be able to survive more than just 4 hits (Kombat to Body) BESM 3e has separate HP and Energy Point tracks based on a combination of Mind or Body with Soul. They multiply by 5, but I think it's better if you don't. This could give 6-7 energy or 6-7 body orbs for a Mind/Soul or Body/Soul focused character.

The Basic Rule: Roll 2 Fudge/Fate Die (pluses and minuses), and add any bonuses/penalties from stats, traits, abilities/perks, and skills, and compare the result to a set Difficulty Score or Opposed Roll to determine results.
I don't know if you intended on giving static bonuses or penalties, but this looks like you did. I'd recommend +/-dF instead of flat modifiers, unless you don't want the game to be very swingy.

I'd also suggest you look over Fight! The Fighting Game RPG, or even OVA for trait ideas.

DeadpanSal
2016-08-22, 02:03 PM
You should totally add in an Action Point/Edge element too, to allow players to get an advantage during kombat. If someone's about to fail or wants to add kritical damage to a success, they can use Toasty Dice. It lets them add a d6 to your roll and the DM has to say "TOASTY!" every time.

Ralcos
2016-08-22, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I'd recommend having characters be able to survive more than just 4 hits (Kombat to Body) BESM 3e has separate HP and Energy Point tracks based on a combination of Mind or Body with Soul. They multiply by 5, but I think it's better if you don't. This could give 6-7 energy or 6-7 body orbs for a Mind/Soul or Body/Soul focused character.

I don't know if you intended on giving static bonuses or penalties, but this looks like you did. I'd recommend +/-dF instead of flat modifiers, unless you don't want the game to be very swingy.

I'd also suggest you look over Fight! The Fighting Game RPG, or even OVA for trait ideas.

I think that'll end up better overall. Plus, it won't be as finicky in playtesting.

You should totally add in an Action Point/Edge element too, to allow players to get an advantage during kombat. If someone's about to fail or wants to add kritical damage to a success, they can use Toasty Dice. It lets them add a d6 to your roll and the DM has to say "TOASTY!" every time.

XD

DreganHiregard
2016-08-24, 09:15 AM
I think it's important to descide if you want to emulate Mortal Kombat the Game or Mortal Kombat the mythology.

For example in the Mythology it's almost impossible to kill anyone, at least relative to the horrifying things that get inflicted on people, wheras in the games it's practically the core mechanic.

Likewise think about something like Mocap or Striker vs Raiden. In a well made balanced game Mocap will win like half the time. But in the mythology the fght would be a joke.

Once you descide what feeling you want to emulate you can nail down whats more important. For emulating the game you'll want tight fast easy emchanics with more attention to the details of how you atatck and defend.

If you're more interested in the mytholgoy you'll need more attention devoted to magic and gods and how such abilities interact with technology. I hope this is helpful!

Ralcos
2016-08-28, 09:50 PM
Still working hard on the system itself. You'll see something soon!

Any other suggestions/ideas?

steelsmiter
2016-08-29, 06:41 AM
Still working hard on the system itself. You'll see something soon!

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Either some sort of means for advancement, or an explanation why you don't. I feel like the latter will probably limit your fanbase though.

Another one, is possibly making it expand beyond just the scope of Mortal Kombat. I started a RPG as a GTA based game, but found out people preferred a more generic game that took elements from other criminal sandboxes, primarily Saints Row.

Rawanzo
2023-10-19, 05:14 PM
You did the System?