PDA

View Full Version : First Magic Item: How Soon is too Soon?

Regitnui
2016-08-17, 07:26 AM
My players just hit level 2, so for a feeling of accomplishment and to give them something iconic, I'm considering giving them a minor magic item. I used Nerzugal's DM Toolkit (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/188626/Nerzugals-Dungeon-Master-Toolkit?filters=0_0_45383_0_0_0_0_0) and rolled up a couple, like a shabby-looking greataxe for the barbarian, and an unbreakable, soul-capturing spear for the monk. My question is, is 2nd level too early to be giving the party magic items? I don't plan to give them a ton of magic items, this round being the character's iconic item. Like for example; the monk starts being called "Kip Khyberspear" after the party builds a reputation.

smcmike
2016-08-17, 07:29 AM
Personally, I like the idea of iconic magic items acquired early on in a setting where they are generally very rare. Heck, I'd be ok with players starting with their great grandpappy's magic sword, or whatever.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-08-17, 07:37 AM
Sounds like fun! 5e means that your minor magic weapon is useful throughout, even if you don't have it scale. My main thought is that you might want to offer a Boon or similar such bonus as an alternative, if you have any players who don't want to be known for their items.

JeenLeen
2016-08-17, 07:42 AM
In the game I'm in, we were awarded a couple of magic items between level 2 and level 3. The timing seemed well.

I'm pretty sure it was a module the DM modified for a campaign, and the magic items were there in the module, so that gives extra support in my eyes.

The items in question were a +1 Longsword and a magic staff that gives +1 AC and lets you use charges to cast Shield and Mage Armor. So the staff is sort of iconic, but the longsword is 'meh' (if good for our level).

Zman
2016-08-17, 07:57 AM
My current campaign got heir first magic items at 3rd level, they picked a dangerous side quest in the midst of a quest and survived a beyond deadly. They killed a young black dragon and got a Wand of Magic Missiles, Circlet of Blasting, and Magic +0 Shortword with d4 Cold Damage. Oh, and a bag of holding.

The wand was too good for early levels. The circlet was just fine and quickly becomes near useless, the Sword was perfect.

We're now level 7 and the sword, named Frostbite is the Rogue's main weapon and it has become iconic. He says, "I draw Frostbite!" He group at level 7 has acquired their first +1 Weapon. I'd expect the Rogue/Fighter to keep using Frostbite for many levels to come, likely in the next couple it'll get bumped to offhand, but it will hold a nostalgic place IMO.

I treat +X Magic weapons one category higher than they normally are, so a +1 Weapon is Rare so any magic item feels Awefully special.

imneuromancer
2016-08-17, 08:04 AM
You could always use the Earthdawn/3E Legendary Item idea and have the magic item grow as the character learns more about it, pumps power into it,

Some possible progression could be by:

* Character learns secrets or history of the item, unlocking abilities. Easy to center a campaign around finding out these secrets and history (Earthdawn was awesome for doing stuff like that).

* The item's power is based on the level of the character it is attuned to. If a first level character attunes, it is a +1 longsword. If a 10th level character attunes, it is a flametongue. If a 20th level character attunes, it is a vorpal flametongue. Or whatever, YMMV.

* The character can sink XP into the item, allowing it to get more powerful. This is the most interesting but also the most fiddly way to do it.

RumoCrytuf
2016-08-17, 08:27 AM
My players just hit level 2, so for a feeling of accomplishment and to give them something iconic, I'm considering giving them a minor magic item. I used Nerzugal's DM Toolkit (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/188626/Nerzugals-Dungeon-Master-Toolkit?filters=0_0_45383_0_0_0_0_0) and rolled up a couple, like a shabby-looking greataxe for the barbarian, and an unbreakable, soul-capturing spear for the monk. My question is, is 2nd level too early to be giving the party magic items? I don't plan to give them a ton of magic items, this round being the character's iconic item. Like for example; the monk starts being called "Kip Khyberspear" after the party builds a reputation.

As long as your campaign stays balanced you can give out any number of magic items. I run campaigns a little stronger than my players, so every interaction is more challenging than average. But I dish out rewards more too, so my players feel accomplished after they kill 2 Ankhegs at level 3.

RumoCrytuf
2016-08-17, 08:28 AM
My current campaign got heir first magic items at 3rd level, they picked a dangerous side quest in the midst of a quest and survived a beyond deadly. They killed a young black dragon and got a Wand of Magic Missiles, Circlet of Blasting, and Magic +0 Shortword with d4 Cold Damage. Oh, and a bag of holding.

The wand was too good for early levels. The circlet was just fine and quickly becomes near useless, the Sword was perfect.

We're now level 7 and the sword, named Frostbite is the Rogue's main weapon and it has become iconic. He says, "I draw Frostbite!" He group at level 7 has acquired their first +1 Weapon. I'd expect the Rogue/Fighter to keep using Frostbite for many levels to come, likely in the next couple it'll get bumped to offhand, but it will hold a nostalgic place IMO.

I treat +X Magic weapons one category higher than they normally are, so a +1 Weapon is Rare so any magic item feels Awefully special.

Congrats to your players, that's quite a feat!

Joe the Rat
2016-08-17, 08:31 AM
2-3 is probably fair for low powered items - rider effects or high utility. If you are after a touch of magic but not sure if the impact is going to be too much, start with consumables.

I'm a big fan of upgrading and unlocking.
Our Monk has an iconic Guan Dao, which he got enchanted (rune etchings and a fancy silk hand wrap) as a quest reward.
Our Paladin has a warhammer, "Light Smasher," which among other things, produces light. But it has a hidden trait: it charges up when used as a spell focus (or smiting). Once he puts 49 spell levels through it, it starts doing prismatic bursts (Light Smasher = Light Breaker = Splitting Light) on a critical.
Our newest, the barbarian, has a +1 greatsword with an unfortunate name and miss sound effect (Breaker of Wind). But it's missing some of its original pieces. As he finds them, it will upgrade to Wind Cutter (charges for gust of wind effect), and Iron Wind (force damage, can use charges to counterspell). It will also combine with his folding boat to make it self-propelled.

RickAllison
2016-08-17, 08:39 AM
In the most recent campaign I'm playing in, we all had three different magical items by level 5. Some made for iconic perceptions of the character (my Rogue had an Alchemy Jar which he used in a period of downtime to gain abundant amounts of poison and acid, as well as a Bag of Holding to store it all in; made for a fun experience when the party counted supplies and my rogue offered 109 vials of poison and 25 flasks of acid), while there was one that was definitely OP (a hammer with the weapon die of a greataxe that could be wielded in one hand and I think had some other effects).

Items with creative use are far more fun at those levels, or things which have one-off abilities so they remain useful.

Plaguescarred
2016-08-17, 08:39 AM
is 2nd level too early to be giving the party magic items?It depend of DM preferences. Personally i'd say no it's not too soon. My PCs rarely find a permanent magic item at level one, more often its potions or scroll if any. By 2nd or 3rd level they usually do. If bynow they haven't yet it'd be because i run a very low magic setting.

Zman
2016-08-17, 08:51 AM
Congrats to your players, that's quite a feat!

Thanks! Actually,mother didn't kill it, but defeated it driving it off near death. They are always wondering when he'll pop back up...

Daishain
2016-08-17, 09:05 AM
Generally speaking, there is no such thing as too soon. All that matters is whether or not it works for the balance, flow, and feel of your campaign. It is also worth considering that 5E was designed with limited magic items in mind. You are free to stretch that as far as you wish, but keep the balance concerns in hand.

Personally, in the early levels I like to give a few utility magic items, with some more... direct pieces available as targets of opportunity. Such that the bold and inquisitive are rewarded.

WereRabbitz
2016-08-17, 10:55 AM
Any level will be fine so long as your not giving a overpowered weapon for the level then it's all good.

I've ran campaigns where they start with something magical usually handed down or the like and even let it's power scale with their level.

Level 1 Sword of Light - Lights up like the light cantrip

Level 5 Burning Sword of Light - +1 Sword with Light Cantrip built in

Level 10 Fiery Sword of Daylight - +2 Sword with Charges of Daylight spell

Level 15 Flaming Sword of Purity - +3 Sword + 1d8 Radiant Damage Critical Hits removes poison and disease on anyone within 30ft that is not hostile + 1d8 bonus damage to undead & friends.

Or once did a 1 handed sword where the user found the twin for dual wielding and then later combined into a great sword and that was kind of fun too.
Due to the changing fighting style this required communication with the player though.

GL!

Coffee_Dragon
2016-08-17, 11:44 AM
We're now level 7 and the sword, named Frostbite is the Rogue's main weapon and it has become iconic. He says, "I draw Frostbite!"

Sorcerer: "I cast Frostbite!"

DM: "It disappears into the chasm."

Rogue: "Nooooooooo"

Zman
2016-08-17, 11:56 AM
Sorcerer: "I cast Frostbite!"

DM: "It disappears into the chasm."

Rogue: "Nooooooooo"

Rogue: Jumps into chasm.

Wizard: "I cast Feather fall and jump after the Rogue."

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-17, 02:11 PM
My players just hit level 2, so for a feeling of accomplishment and to give them something iconic, I'm considering giving them a minor magic item. I used Nerzugal's DM Toolkit and rolled up a couple, like a shabby-looking greataxe for the barbarian, and an unbreakable, soul-capturing spear for the monk. My question is, is 2nd level too early to be giving the party magic items? I don't plan to give them a ton of magic items, this round being the character's iconic item. Like for example; the monk starts being called "Kip Khyberspear" after the party builds a reputation.

Anytime is the right time for magic item rewards.

I'd generally have it be found after an interesting fight or journey however. And if you want these items to stand out, perhaps give them a backstory for why they're in the places they are that the players could discover through clues/research/general knowledge.

MrStabby
2016-08-17, 02:19 PM
I usually go for level 6 or 7 for low powered items and about level 13 or 14 for rare items. It has worked pretty well for me, but you need to ensure players get other rewards.

Daishain
2016-08-17, 05:27 PM
Oh, also, for Oghma's sake don't limit yourself or your players to the magic items found in the DMG. Even with the availability of magic items toned down, this is a vibrant magical world with a rich history. Think interesting and surprising trinkets that don't always have an immediately practical use.

One find my players particularly enjoyed was a marble orb, about 4 inches in diameter. Upon holding it in both hands for about 30 seconds, it would light up with a dim display of intriguing colors and play soothing lullabyes for the next five minutes. A child's toy from another age. They used it from time to time as a lure or distraction, and once for its original purpose.

Sabeta
2016-08-17, 08:02 PM
I've always liked the idea of handing out magic items to players early on, but without the magic. (yet)

I would then allow the weapon to unlock properties as they progressed, depending on their playstyle. A Monk who sprints past enemies to stun mages may receive a weapon that boosts movement speed for example. If the party ever got to level 20 the weapon would be on par with a legendary, or perhaps slightly better magic item.