PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there are feat that grants a base +1 to Caster Level?

thorr-kan
2016-08-17, 10:09 AM
Is there are feat that grants a base +1 to Caster Level?

I'm away from books at the moment, and I need to get an idea out of my head.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-17, 10:13 AM
Only for specific categories of spells, as far as I know. Reserve feats all provide +1 CL to associated spells (a certain descriptor, typically), there's Domain Focus for clerics, and something like Planar Touchstone for the Oracle domain can provide a CL boost. There's Practiced Spellcaster for +4 CL, but that goes up to your HD only. No feats that are just "+1 CL for class X", I think.

Sian
2016-08-17, 10:25 AM
Not quite a feat, but Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) Gives Kobolds an additional Sorcerer level ... the Prerequisites is 6HD, Draconic Rite of Passage (a fluffy bit from Races of the Dragon), and a specific feat

FearlessGnome
2016-08-17, 10:25 AM
No feat gives a flat +1.

But. Dark Speech (From Elder Evils) lets you speak evil and boost your caster level by 1, at the cost of everyone knowing you are definitely evil for certain.

Practised Spellcaster gives you +4, but caps at your character level. Ie, it's only good for multiclassers or racial hitdice. You can sorta surpass your class level by having a high level Bard Inspire Greatness to give you temporary bonus hitdice.

Reserves of Strength lets you add +1,+2 or +3, but then you are stunned for that many rounds. If immune to stunning, you instead take 1-5d6 damage.

Elder Giant Magic lets you add 1-3 caster levels, but you must take 1-3 rounds extra time to cast the spell. Combine with Reserves for +6 to caster level, but you can't exactly use it in combat. Great for all day buffs though.

Primitive Caster tries to compete with the above two, but fails badly. It lets you increase caster level by adding more components to your spell if it didn't already have them. So if it doesn't normally have a Vocal component, include one and increase caster level by 1. Same for Somatic and Material. Unfortunately most spells have all three, or at least two, so you never get that tasty looking +3 it promises.

Edit: Found this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?484088-3-5-Raising-Caster-Level)

Eldariel
2016-08-17, 10:34 AM
There's a lot of feats but they're mostly specific, as LibrisMortis said. Off the top of my head, Arcane Thesis, Spell Thematics, all the Earth Spell/Silent Image/Shadowcraft Mage nonsense & reserve feats. I'm sure there's plenty more. But getting universal "Spell Power +1" above your HD is quite difficult.

Flickerdart
2016-08-17, 11:07 AM
There's a trait - Spellgifted - which gives you +1 to CL from one school, at the cost of -1 CL to all other schools.

Draz74
2016-08-17, 01:23 PM
But getting universal "Spell Power +1" above your HD is quite difficult.

Well, until you can afford an Orange Ioun Stone, of course.

Eldariel
2016-08-17, 01:57 PM
Well, until you can afford an Orange Ioun Stone, of course.

Yeah, I meant through feats. Both, spells and items do it relatively easily.

DarkSonic1337
2016-08-17, 06:56 PM
On the subject of practiced spellcaster, what are some ways to temporarily gain extra hitdice?

Inspire Greatness was mentioned, and I guess you could contract lycanthropy, but I'm looking for things a spellcaster could do for themselves.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-08-17, 07:02 PM
Extra Spell (Create Magic Tattoo) or Precocious Apprentice (Create Magic Tattoo) does it at higher levels.

For magic/psionics transparency, Overchannel.

Necroticplague
2016-08-17, 07:04 PM
On the subject of practiced spellcaster, what are some ways to temporarily gain extra hitdice?

Inspire Greatness was mentioned, and I guess you could contract lycanthropy, but I'm looking for things a spellcaster could do for themselves.

Polymorph into a dusk giant, use their Cannibalize ability.

J-H
2016-08-17, 07:36 PM
The overlooked Red Wizard PRC from the DMG gives you Spell Power +5 over 10 levels. If I ever build another wizard (I prefer spontaneous casters, less bookkeeping), I'll work it in if I can.