PDA

View Full Version : Storm King's and Rune Scribes

Drackolus
2016-08-17, 02:14 PM
My group has been talking about running Storm King's Thunder, and I've been considering making an artificer/rune scribe character. I know there is "rune magic," but does it work as described in the ua? Are there rune(s) and a teacher that I could learn from in the campaign?

R.Shackleford
2016-08-17, 02:29 PM
My group has been talking about running Storm King's Thunder, and I've been considering making an artificer/rune scribe character. I know there is "rune magic," but does it work as described in the ua? Are there rune(s) and a teacher that I could learn from in the campaign?

Storm King's Thunder doesn't come out till September, last I heard... So I don't think anyone really knows what is actually in it yet.

Sir cryosin
2016-08-17, 02:34 PM
We won't know tell a couple of days when the book comes out. I don't think they said that it is a subclass or a full class. I mean it would be weird to leave it just as is from UA. The store own of the shop we play at said he should be getting the book on the 23 or 26 I can't remember which one it was.

Drackolus
2016-08-17, 02:38 PM
Oh, I thought it had already been out a bit.
Well, I sure hope it does .

Chaosvii7
2016-08-17, 06:48 PM
Given the feedback on prestige classes in 5th edition from the surveys, I don't think Rune Scribe is going to show up as a prestige class. Perhaps an archetype, but the dissenting opinion that, as presented, it just wasn't very good for what it's worth. The new rune mechanics, however, sound perfect for an artificer - the little bit of information that's trickled down seems to imply that you can attach runes to magic items, and that you might even be able to remove runes from other items. The potential for an archetype (or prestige class, we won't know until the book drops in a week) that utilizes these runes in more different ways would be very interesting, though, given their already surprisingly diverse speculative uses.

DriftedIsland
2016-08-18, 12:35 PM
I think I read somewhere that rune magic is basically going to be an enchantment that can move between items.

NNescio
2016-08-18, 12:38 PM
I think I read somewhere that rune magic is basically going to be an enchantment that can move between items.

Time for some Diablo-esque Rune socketing.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-18, 01:21 PM
Time for some Diablo-esque Rune socketing.

Really, it wouldn't be D&D if we didn't have Diablo/WoW stuff ingrained into it.

Dalebert
2016-08-19, 10:28 AM
Game stores that are on the Wizards network will get the book by the 26th, I believe, while others won't get it until a couple weeks later, e.g. the story I pre-ordered from because I had a credit built up that I needed to use and didn't know they weren't on the network. *facepalm*

eastmabl
2016-08-19, 10:32 AM
Really, it wouldn't be D&D if we didn't have Diablo/WoW stuff ingrained into it.

OD&D/BECMI/AD&D/2E would like to have a few words with you about who came first.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-19, 12:01 PM
OD&D/BECMI/AD&D/2E would like to have a few words with you about who came first.

You are confusing what was D&D with what is D&D. Besides MMORPGs have things that D&D didn't have until after the MMORPGs came out. So while a brand may have came out first, that doesn't mean they came up with idea XYZ first.

WotC has owned D&D since 3e, ever since they owned D&D their games have reflected a MMORPG of the time.

3e was Diablo.

4e was WoW.

A friend of mine has this theory about 5e being Overwatch.

This isn't a bad thing, just that D&D is tied closely with videogames... You know, since videogames are more popular than tabletop rpgs.