PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid Swiftshaping

Theodoxus
2016-08-17, 04:17 PM
As an alternative to Wildshape, because I was a huge fan of the Shiftshape ability from the 3.5 PHB2, I thought this would be an interesting take for 5E.

I still haven't figured out a decent capstone ability to replace unlimited wildshapes with... if anyone has suggestions, that'd be awesome :)

Swiftshaping: [Replaces Moon Druid's WildShape, starting at 2nd level]

As an action, you can use a spell slot to empower your ability to assume another form. The level of the slot determines the number of hours you can use the Swiftshaping ability. Every round, while the Swiftshaping is active, you can use a bonus action to assume a different form, including your natural humanoid form. Changing forms provides no healing, nor does being reduced to zero. Swiftshaping does not provide a separate pool of hit points, however, you can still use spell slots to convert to healing as per the Moon Druid ability.

The forms are static, but sufficiently varied:

Tiger: You assume the form of a medium sized predator (it doesn't have to look like a tiger). While in this form, your attributes change to Str: 14, Dex: 14, Con: 12. These are also increased by your Proficiency bonus. Your base AC is 13 + Dex mod + Proficiency bonus. You gain a multiattack with claws, each dealing 1d6+Str. If both attacks hit, you can either knock the victim prone, or rend them for an additional 1d6+Str. You also gain a Bonus Attack with a bite, dealing 1d8+Str. If all three attacks hit, the victim bleeds 3 HP per round until staunched (same rules as the Sword of Wounding).
Your speed increases by 10' and you gain the Evasion ability.

Bear: You assume the form of a large sized animal (it doesn't have to look like a bear). While in this form, your attributes change to Str: 16, Dex: 12, Con: 16. These are also increased by your Proficiency bonus. Your base AC is 15 + Dex mod + Proficiency bonus. You gain a multiattack with claws, each dealing 1d8+Str. If both attacks hit, you automatically grapple your opponent. While in bear form, you can Rage, gaining all the benefits of your barbarian rage. You can also choose to Recklessly Attack while Raging.

Eagle: Starting at 8th level, you can assume the form of a medium sized bird (it doesn't have to look like an eagle). While in this form, your attributes change to Str: 10, Dex: 16, Con: 12. These are also increased by your Proficiency bonus. Your base AC is 14 + Dex mod + Proficiency bonus. You gain a fly speed of 20' + 10' per Proficiency bonus. When shifting from Eagle to another form, you gain Slow Fall equal to your character level, as per the monk ability. You do not have a native attack in Eagle form.

Elk: You assume the form of a large sized hooved animal (it doesn't have to look like an elk). While in this form, your attributes change to Str: 18, Dex: 14, Con: 14. These are also increased by your Proficiency bonus. Your base AC is 12+ Dex mod + Proficiency bonus. Your gain a ground speed of 30' + 10' per Proficiency bonus. You gain an attack with Hooves, dealing 2d6+Str. You can make a Trample attack against creatures smaller than you, as per a Warhorse.

Aquatic: Starting at 5th level, you can assume the form of a medium sized amphibious or aquatic critter. While in this form, your attributes change to Str: 10, Dex: 16, Con: 14. These are also increased by your Proficiency bonus. Your base AC is 10 + Dex mod + Proficiency bonus. You gain the ability to breath water and a swim speed of 20' + 10' per Proficiency bonus. You do not have a native attack in Aquatic form.

Rerem115
2016-08-17, 04:33 PM
Some of the AC bonuses go clean through the roof of PC expectations. The bear form, for instance, has an AC of 25 from 17th level onward, eagle has 26, elk has 23, tiger has 24, and aquatic has 21. To put this in perspective, a fighter with a shield, full plate, and the defensive fighting style has 21 AC. To top it all off, the bear also gets rage resistances. You make a better barbarian than the barbarian with this.

AC should be calculated as 10 + Dex + other modifier, to prevent absolutely insane levels of AC.

GorinichSerpant
2016-08-17, 05:36 PM
From a purely fluff standpoint, I'm bothered by the fact that the eagle doesn't have an attack. I feel that if I were told that I can't scratch and peck someone's eyes out while cawing in their face I'd be greatly disappointed. It does make sense for a medium sized bird to not be able to deal some damage. I think the bird form should either be made small or given say a 1d4 damage attack because a bird that big should be able to do something. By that logic aquatic should also be small if you think about it. I also think that either the name of aquatic should be changed to something specific like dolphin or the others are changed to something more general. Eagle could become bird or avian, Elk could be Hooved, and I'm not sure what alternate names you could give tiger and bear.