PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best Divine Spells

Bobthereaper606
2016-08-17, 07:01 PM
Im working on an Archivist and im looking for the best, the cream of the crop, the bee's knee's of divine spells. All Divine spells unless evil is required to cast. All 3.5, Dragon Mag and Pathfinder books are open. If you can please include the Class or Domain and the book that the spell comes from.

Zanos
2016-08-17, 07:39 PM
Summon Giants from Frostburn, off the Disciple of Thyrm class list. It's an 8th level spell normally, but an Archivist can get it as a 4th from a Disciple of Thyrm, and summon Frost Giants at level 7.

Bobthereaper606
2016-08-17, 07:51 PM
Summon Giants from Frostburn, off the Disciple of Thyrm class list. It's an 8th level spell normally, but an Archivist can get it as a 4th from a Disciple of Thyrm, and summon Frost Giants at level 7.

I had come across that myself and that seemed super awesome lol.

Thank you for your reply and input though, your the first person to reply to one of my posts!

PseudoPanda
2016-08-17, 07:57 PM
Best in what way? Miracle just off of the cleric spell list and Wish from the Envy domain (Spell Compendium) are two of the most highly toted spells just for their versatility.

The Archivist Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=185) will be helpful in pointing out good spells and spells that you can get access to early.

Zanos
2016-08-17, 07:58 PM
I had come across that myself and that seemed super awesome lol.

Thank you for your reply and input though, your the first person to reply to one of my posts!
Yeah, in general if you want to do Archivist shenanigans, look for prestige classes that have their own divine casting, and poach spells off of their lists at lower levels.

Paladin spells also work for this. You can get a lot of discounted spells from the Paladin list.

Keep in mind that some of those tricks may not be appropriate the kind of game your DM is running.

Bobthereaper606
2016-08-17, 08:02 PM
Currently my DM is letting me do a Divine Warweaver, so Buff Monkey and Heal Bot shenanigans. I currently a lvl 8 Archivist 5 Warweaver 3. Going to in total do Archivist 5 Warweaver 5 Cloistered Cleric 1 Sovereign Speaker 9

So all in all im looking for the most powerful buff worth and stacking spells up to 4th level

Bobthereaper606
2016-08-17, 08:06 PM
Best in what way? Miracle just off of the cleric spell list and Wish from the Envy domain (Spell Compendium) are two of the most highly toted spells just for their versatility.

The Archivist Handbook will be helpful in pointing out good spells and spells that you can get access to early.

Thank you very much for the link this will prove useful

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-18, 02:59 AM
Divine power is pretty up there in terms of 'screw mundanes, I have spells'. If your party contains a lot of non-full base attack people, it can get them an extra attack, depending on exact bab breakdown.

Khedrac
2016-08-18, 04:20 AM
Against enemies without a decent reflex save Slime Wave can be devastating.

Don't overlook things like Healing Lorecall for the ability to remove stasis effects from the party with a simple Insignia of Healing.

Braininthejar2
2016-08-18, 06:47 AM
Frostfell from frostburn - a shapeable suck or die. It is often capable of one-shotting encounters, leaving the boss standing alone, as his entire retinue turns into ice statues.

Venger
2016-08-20, 01:52 AM
the chameleon handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8750.0) is also very helpful for this.

here are some of my favorite goodies from various divine lists, broken up alphabetically by class, level 1 to 5.

Divine sacrifice (blackguard)
Embrace the wild (ranger)
Fairie fire (druid)
Impeding stones (druid)
Instant of power (druid)
Kuo-tua skin (druid)
Resurgence (Blackguard/Cleric/Paladin)
Rot of Ages (Druid)
Sandblast (druid)
Snake’s swiftness (druid)
Skunk Scent (druid)
Spider Hand (cleric)
Spore field (druid)
Spymaster’s coin (bard)
Winged watcher (druid)

Blinding Spittle (Druid)
Breath of the Jungle (Druid)
Briar web (druid)
Decomposition (Druid)
Drifts of the Shalm (druid)
Fortissimo (bard)
Ice Darts (bard)
Increase Virulence (blackguard)
Jaws of the Moray (druid)
Master Air (druid)
Predator’s cry (druid)
Saltray (druid)
Spider Legs (Cleric)
Snake’s swiftness, mass (druid)

Animate Dead (Cleric)
Blessing of bahamut (paladin)
Chain of eyes (cleric)
Column of Ice (Druid)
Crumble (Druid)
Dolorous motes (cleric)
Earth Hammer (paladin)
Enduring Scrutiny (paladin)
Entangling Staff (druid)
Evard’s menacing tentacles (druid)
Fangs of the Vampire King (Blackguard)
Fell the Greatest Foe (paladin)
Find the Gap (paladin)
Giant’s Wrath (Druid)
Good Hope (Bard)
Greenfire (Druid)
Haboob (Cleric)
Icelance (Druid)
Infernal Threnody (Bard)
Infestation of Maggots (Druid)
Mystic Lash (cleric)
Prayer (cleric)
Ring of Blades (Cleric)
Searing Light (Cleric)
Shadow Cache (bard)
Spark of Life (Cleric)
Spiritjaws (Druid)
Venomfire (druid)

Aspect of the Werebeast (RoE 184) (Druid)
Bleed (CChamp 117) (Blackguard)
Boreal Wind (Druid)
Claws of the Savage (Druid)
Doomtide (CDiv 163) (cleric)
Eye of the Hurricane (Druid)
Friendly Fire (druid)
Implacable Pursuer (Blackguard)
Last Breath (Druid)
Lower Spell Resistance (cleric)
Manifest life (paladin)
Murderous Mist (Druid)
Ray Deflection (Bard)
Revenance (Blackguard)
Slipsand (Druid)
Spell theft (bard)
Stone metamorphosis (cleric)
Summon Giants (disciple of thrym)
True Seeing (Cold iron warrior)
Vortex of teeth (druid)
Wall of Sand (cleric)

Bewildering Mischance cleric 5
Bind to hell cleric 5
Blizzard (Druid) 5
Bolts of bedevilment bard 5
Choking Sands cleric 5
Entomb (disciple of thrym)
Flesh to Ice (Druid)
Flesh to Salt (Druid)
Frostbite (cleric)
Improved Blink (bard)
Owl’s Insight (Druid)
Phantom Stag (Druid)
Rejuvenation Cocoon (Druid)
Revivify (Cleric)
Spore Cloak (Druid)
Wall of thorns (druid)

Âmesang
2016-08-20, 09:29 AM
First spells to come to mind is the adept's heal (5th level instead of 6th) and guidance of the avatar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a).

WhamBamSam
2016-08-20, 01:52 PM
Favored Souls of Bahamut and Tiamat (Dragon Magic) can learn Sorcerer spells through an ACF. If built specifically for the purpose, it's possible for one to know any Sorcerer spell, so a Divine scroll of any Sorcerer spell could theoretically exist.

Many of the Wizard-only spells can be picked off from Domains (Mnemonic Enhancer is Spell Domain for instance) or the Divine Magician Cleric ACF (Spell Engine is an Abjuration). Divine Magician is also handy if the Favored Soul of Bahamut/Tiamat thing gets slapped down as it covers all of Enchantment, Necromancy, and Abjuration.

Even some Wu Jen spells, like Giant Size, appear on Shaman domains.

Actually, with Dragon Magazine, it's possible that you don't even need to jump through these hoops and that Divine Scrolls of all spells exist via various clerics with the Customize Domain feat (Dragon 325).

Ruby Disciples (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030124c) can learn Telepathy Powers as Cleric spells, and hence produce divine scrolls of said powers. How this works is something of a rules headache, especially as you have to muck around with converting 3.0 Psionics.

Venger
2016-08-21, 02:01 AM
Favored Souls of Bahamut and Tiamat (Dragon Magic) can learn Sorcerer spells through an ACF. If built specifically for the purpose, it's possible for one to know any Sorcerer spell, so a Divine scroll of any Sorcerer spell could theoretically exist.

Many of the Wizard-only spells can be picked off from Domains (Mnemonic Enhancer is Spell Domain for instance) or the Divine Magician Cleric ACF (Spell Engine is an Abjuration). Divine Magician is also handy if the Favored Soul of Bahamut/Tiamat thing gets slapped down as it covers all of Enchantment, Necromancy, and Abjuration.

Even some Wu Jen spells, like Giant Size, appear on Shaman domains.

Actually, with Dragon Magazine, it's possible that you don't even need to jump through these hoops and that Divine Scrolls of all spells exist via various clerics with the Customize Domain feat (Dragon 325).

Ruby Disciples (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030124c) can learn Telepathy Powers as Cleric spells, and hence produce divine scrolls of said powers. How this works is something of a rules headache, especially as you have to muck around with converting 3.0 Psionics.

Just when I thought I'd seen the last of the terrible mind's eye psionic prcs, I have to see this. what a weird class.

WhamBamSam
2016-08-21, 11:18 AM
Just when I thought I'd seen the last of the terrible mind's eye psionic prcs, I have to see this. what a weird class.Yeah... Someone floated it as a potential Iron Chef ingredient a while back, and I filed it away under weird Archivist cheese (assuming you and your DM don't have the sense to leave Ruby Disciple buried in an unmarked grave with 3.0 Psionics where it belongs). I guess you could play a Cleric of Sardior with 1-3 levels and make reasonable use of Spell Use that way, but really, it's most useful just for the fact that it theoretically exists.