PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Psionic fission, some questions

you randomly
2016-08-17, 08:30 PM
question 1:
so lets say for the purpose of this you are close to next level and you decide you're going to manifest a fission that lasts for 24 hours (how this is done doesn't really matter) and during this 24 hours you (being the original) decide to stay at home and get some much needed rest and send the duplicate off with your party and during this tome the duplicate gains enough xp to level up

A)would and the end of the 24 hours gain the level as the power ends
B)gain the experience as it gain the experience
C)the xp gained would be wasted
D) other (please explain)

question 2:
lets say instead you decide to go off on this adventure and tell your duplicate to stay at home and do some psionic item crafting also assuming the duplicate has crafting time reduction feats that can bring it down to 1 days work

A)when the power ends you would add together the experience you both gained/lost (from crafting and adventuring)
B)you gain and lost experience at the same time
C)the crafting was effectivly free due to the xp cost not being transferred to the manifster
D)other (please explain)

question 3:
no magical 24 fission needed for this one, you manifest fission then you have the duplicate manifest temporal acceleration for 5 rounds will this mean that the duplicate will end 5 rounds sooner effectively?

A)yes, the duration is linked to the duplicate
B)no, the duration is link to the manifester
C)other (please explain)

Question 4:
if you manifest fission and shove them into a pit of Quintessence enough to cover them completely will

A)the duplicate stay there after the duration has ended
B)the duplicate will end when the power ends
C)other (please explain)

okay i think that's all the question i have sorry for thee long post

Calthropstu
2016-08-17, 08:39 PM
question 1:
so lets say for the purpose of this you are close to next level and you decide you're going to manifest a fission that lasts for 24 hours (how this is done doesn't really matter) and during this 24 hours you (being the original) decide to stay at home and get some much needed rest and send the duplicate off with your party and during this tome the duplicate gains enough xp to level up

question 2:
lets say instead you decide to go off on this adventure and tell your duplicate to stay at home and do some psionic item crafting also assuming the duplicate has crafting time reduction feats that can bring it down to 1 days work

A)when the power ends you would add together the experience you both gained/lost (from crafting and adventuring)
C)the crafting was effectivly free due to the xp cost not being transferred to the manifster
D)other (please explain)

question 3:
no magical 24 fission needed for this one, you manifest fission then you have the duplicate manifest temporal acceleration for 5 rounds will this mean that the duplicate will end 5 rounds sooner effectively?

C)other (please explain)

Question 4:
if you manifest fission and shove them into a pit of Quintessence enough to cover them completely will

C)other (please explain)

okay i think that's all the question i have sorry for thee long post

1: I would rule that the duplicate cannot gain experience.

2: I would rule that the duplicate cannot SPEND experience.

3: No, I would allow the duplicate to remain the full duration based off your casting time.

4: I would rule that the nature of quintessence would eliminate the duplicate upon immersion.

you randomly
2016-08-18, 07:13 AM
1: I would rule that the duplicate cannot gain experience.

2: I would rule that the duplicate cannot SPEND experience.

3: No, I would allow the duplicate to remain the full duration based off your casting time.

4: I would rule that the nature of quintessence would eliminate the duplicate upon immersion.

just wondering about your reasoning behind your answer to 4, as if it did keep the duplicate then all it would do is work like the clone spell from players hand book

Calthropstu
2016-08-18, 07:19 AM
just wondering about your reasoning behind your answer to 4, as if it did keep the duplicate then all it would do is work like the clone spell from players hand book

Because quintessence specifically states it interferes with psionics.
If you put a temporary psionic person, the energy maintaining it would be degraded and the spell would end.

Big Fau
2016-08-18, 07:34 AM
If you put a temporary psionic person, the energy maintaining it would be degraded and the spell would end.

That's not how it works.

Powers require twice as many power points to manifest, unless the manifester makes a successful DC 16 Will save each time he or she attempts to manifest a power.

The only other effect that could happen is partial immersion in quintessence causing damage, but that doesn't matter for the OP's question.

you randomly
2016-08-18, 08:01 AM

ah okay i can understand that, so would you agree that you could use a 24 hour fission to do the mundane parts of crafting while you continue to adventure?

Calthropstu
2016-08-18, 09:45 AM
ah okay i can understand that, so would you agree that you could use a 24 hour fission to do the mundane parts of crafting while you continue to adventure?

I see no problem with that. As long as there is no xp expenditure involved.

Personally, I GM fiat the xp cost of item crafting out when I ran 3.5, and pathfinder got rid of xp costs entirely.

Segev
2016-08-18, 10:00 AM
I would personally handle it by having gained/lost XP by both parties summed at the end of the duration, just as you do damage, ability drain, etc. If a player attempted to cheese this by having his duplicate go do another adventure while he's adventuring, I'd look carefully at his contribution to both adventures before assigning him full XP from each. And, if it were a problem, I might change this ruling for that specific case.

Interestingly, summing these damage types means that if both you and your duplicate are at half "health" in any of these stats, you will die (or be incapacitated, depending) when the spell ends and the wounds combine.

I would have quintessence preserve the duplicate past the duration, essentially suspending the duration until it is removed.

Deadline
2016-08-18, 10:06 AM
question 1:

Probably A. Reasoning: You are present and participating in the adventure. I might ad-hoc it a little lower than normal due to the decreased threat, but that's personal taste. This is, of course, assuming that XP is awarded as if you were there (meaning the duplicate being effectively 2 levels lower doesn't get you more XP).

question 2:

D)other (please explain)

D, but only because A is worded the way it is. Given the numerous methods by which an Arcane caster can adventure and craft at the same time, I see no reason why a Psionic character can't do the same. I'd have you spend the crafting XP as soon as you delegated the duplicate to begin crafting though. I think that's pretty much in line with how the Dedicated Wright works. And yes, because you went adventuring, you'd gain XP for that.

question 3:

C)other (please explain)

A. Mostly for bookkeeping and avoiding headaches.

Question 4:

C)other (please explain)

A. Reasoning: And this looks like it could suck, because now you are stuck with only half your power points and special ability uses until your duplicate is pulled out of the Quintessence.

you randomly
2016-08-19, 10:48 AM
snip*
A. Reasoning: And this looks like it could suck, because now you are stuck with only half your power points and special ability uses until your duplicate is pulled out of the Quintessence.
snip*

reading this made me think, if at the end of the day you manifested a 24 hour fission and then both of you rested would both of you gain you full power points back or only half of your full normal power points.

Segev
2016-08-19, 11:54 AM
reading this made me think, if at the end of the day you manifested a 24 hour fission and then both of you rested would both of you gain you full power points back or only half of your full normal power points.

Unspecified, to my knowledge. I would like to posit a more extreme case, though. Share power lets somebody transfer pp to you, but can't bring you over your normal maximum. There are tricks (mostly relating to psicrystal shenanigans) to actually let you use this on yourself and net pp (thus refueling almost at-will).

Could you refuel yourself after creating a fission clone, or not?

you randomly
2016-08-19, 12:43 PM
Unspecified, to my knowledge. I would like to posit a more extreme case, though. Share power lets somebody transfer pp to you, but can't bring you over your normal maximum. There are tricks (mostly relating to psicrystal shenanigans) to actually let you use this on yourself and net pp (thus refueling almost at-will).

Could you refuel yourself after creating a fission clone, or not?

well the recharge trick relies on bring the power point cost lower that the number of power points in provides, so i would say it doesn't make much of difference besides maybe be able to recharge quicker as the duplicate could manifest the same trick on you

Segev
2016-08-19, 01:28 PM
well the recharge trick relies on bring the power point cost lower that the number of power points in provides, so i would say it doesn't make much of difference besides maybe be able to recharge quicker as the duplicate could manifest the same trick on you

The point of the question is: does fission set your max pp to the halved value, or does it merely empty half your current pp into the clone? If the latter, you can recharge back to full pp.