PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Greater Dispel Magic vs Curse

kahlzun
2016-08-17, 11:15 PM
Hi all, I am currently in the process of going through all the SRD Cleric spells, and found the following (emphasis mine):

Dispel Magic, Greater (Abjuration)
Level: Brd 5, Clr 6, Drd 6, Sor/Wiz 6

This spell functions like dispel magic, except that the maximum caster level on your dispel check is +20 instead of +10.
Additionally, greater dispel magic has a chance to dispel any effect that remove curse can remove, even if dispel magic can’t dispel that effect.

Was it ever established exactly what a 'chance' was? Google doesn't seem to have anything, and looking up the various curses & removal options has no other mention of this ability.

Cheers!

Âmesang
2016-08-17, 11:16 PM
My barest thought is that it would still require a dispel check to try and dispel the curse, just as if you were trying to dispel any other spell.

Necroticplague
2016-08-17, 11:26 PM
Was it ever established exactly what a 'chance' was? Google doesn't seem to have anything, and looking up the various curses & removal options has no other mention of this ability.

Cheers!

Dispelling any spell requires a dispel check (which, long story short, is an oppossed CL check). So, in this case, the 'chance' is allowing you to roll to dispel it (as opposed to using the normal Dispel Magic, which wouldn't even be allowed to roll against such things.).