PDA

View Full Version : Shield Master Question (not about the shove)

huttj509
2016-08-18, 01:44 AM
So, I've seen a lot of discussion about the first part of the Shield Master feat, but not so much the second.

"If you aren’t incapacitated, you can add your shield’s AC
bonus to any Dexterity saving throw you make against
a spell or other harmful effect that targets only you."

What dex saves aren't area effects? I haven't seen this actually come up yet. If it's a fireball and I'm the only one in range can I suddenly get my shield bonus to my dex save, but not if it also hits a familiar?

djreynolds
2016-08-18, 01:49 AM
So, I've seen a lot of discussion about the first part of the Shield Master feat, but not so much the second.

What dex saves aren't area effects? I haven't seen this actually come up yet. If it's a fireball and I'm the only one in range can I suddenly get my shield bonus to my dex save, but not if it also hits a familiar?

disintegrate

Arkhios
2016-08-18, 01:52 AM

some traps are also single-target effects and allow for a Dexterity save. And no, I don't think an area spell that only affects your character would apply. If you read fireball carefully, it especially mentions that unattended and unworn flammable objects ignite if in the area. Being a target doesn't mean it has to be a living thing. An object can be a target as well. Even though only creatures can get a save, it's quite obvious that a stationary object isn't going to evade an area effect, isn't it ;)

hymer
2016-08-18, 03:13 AM
some traps are also single-target effects and allow for a Dexterity save. And no, I don't think an area spell that only affects your character would apply. If you read fireball carefully, it especially mentions that unattended and unworn flammable objects ignite if in the area. Being a target doesn't mean it has to be a living thing. An object can be a target as well. Even though only creatures can get a save, it's quite obvious that a stationary object isn't going to evade an area effect, isn't it ;)

Also, the target is presumably the area, not the people/stuff in it.

Sacred Flame is another spell affected by Shield Master. Cordon of Arrows. At least part of Flaming Sphere's damage. Hellish Rebuke.

Edit: From the EEPC there's Catapult, and possibly part of Bones of the Earth.

Arkhios
2016-08-18, 03:26 AM
Also, the target is presumably the area, not the people/stuff in it.

Sacred Flame is another spell affected by Shield Master. Cordon of Arrows. At least part of Flaming Sphere's damage. Hellish Rebuke.

Good point on target = area.

Also, Acid Splash is single target cantrip (well, okay. max. 2 targets if two targets are close enough to each other). I must say I hadn't thought about it applying to Hellish Rebuke too. Nice!

hymer
2016-08-18, 03:37 AM
Thanks. :smallsmile:

By the way, isn't it funny that you can make dex saves while incapacitated, but they draw the line at you getting your shield bonus. :smallamused: