PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Beefing up the Sorcerer Spell List [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-08-18, 06:45 AM
I can't be the only one who's annoyed that the sorcerer has a Storm based archetype and they get all of (something like) 4 spells that deal lightning damage. Welp, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to homebrew some spells (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HyIUBsz5) so that they can sling lightning around more readily.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-08-18, 03:06 PM
They look fine to me.

DracoKnight
2016-08-18, 03:09 PM
They look fine to me.

Coolio. Good to know!

DracoKnight
2016-08-18, 07:14 PM
Are there any other opinions??

Devcon1
2016-08-18, 07:39 PM
The spells look okay, except with the cantrip, where I see two issues: one, cantrips don't have material components (at least not to my knowledge) as they are supposed to be able to be cast an indefinite number of times, and two, the ending of the description seems to have been cut off.

EDIT: Apparently cantrips can have material components (doesn't make sense to me, but whatever), so that isn't an issue. Sorry for my mistake.

DracoKnight
2016-08-18, 09:07 PM
The spells look okay, except with the cantrip, where I see two issues: one, cantrips don't have material components (at least not to my knowledge) as they are supposed to be able to be cast an indefinite number of times, and two, the ending of the description seems to have been cut off.

EDIT: Apparently cantrips can have material components (doesn't make sense to me, but whatever), so that isn't an issue. Sorry for my mistake.

Thank you for catching that - it's not supposed to have a M component. But the Homebrewery auto adds some stuff. :smalltongue:

EDIT: fixed it!

quinron
2016-08-19, 09:18 PM
Had you considered making the cantrip Dex save-based instead of a spell attack? I only say that because I'm seeing it as a miniature lightning bolt. If it were save-based, I think a damage increase would follow, comparing it to poison spray - lightning is a less-often-resisted damage type than poison, but it's still probably less reliable to hit.

That said, though, I don't see any problem with it as a spell attack, and I think it's a spell the game could really use - why is there no mini-lightning bolt cantrip already? The other spells are great too, particularly herald of the storm - who doesn't want to turn into Zeus for a minute?

DracoKnight
2016-08-19, 09:43 PM
That said, though, I don't see any problem with it as a spell attack, and I think it's a spell the game could really use - why is there no mini-lightning bolt cantrip already? The other spells are great too, particularly herald of the storm - who doesn't want to turn into Zeus for a minute?

I have no idea why there wasn't already a mini-lightning bolt cantrip. It doesn't make sense to me that there's not a lightning-based cantrip that's ranged :smallannoyed:

I'm glad you like herald of the storm ^_^

khadgar567
2016-08-20, 07:38 AM
I have no idea why there wasn't already a mini-lightning bolt cantrip. It doesn't make sense to me that there's not a lightning-based cantrip that's ranged :smallannoyed:

I'm glad you like herald of the storm ^_^
herald of storm is realy good spell talk about channeling divine fury

DracoKnight
2016-08-21, 12:06 AM
herald of storm is realy good spell talk about channeling divine fury

That's exactly what I was going for (or elemental fury if you're a Storm Sorcerer)

Master Elodin
2016-08-21, 08:09 AM
Check the last line on the cantrip. It seems like a half-formed sentence. Otherwise, cool spells. They seem balanced to me.

DracoKnight
2016-08-21, 01:50 PM
Check the last line on the cantrip. It seems like a half-formed sentence. Otherwise, cool spells. They seem balanced to me.

What's wrong with the last line???

EDIT: oh, I see what you're saying now it's supposed to be "your next ranged spell attack against the creature is made with advantage."