PDA

View Full Version : Spike Growth Question

ATHATH
2016-08-18, 01:32 PM
Let's say that I walk 10 feet within the area of a spike growth spell. Do I take 4d4 damage(,) or 2d4 damage twice?

hymer
2016-08-18, 01:36 PM
Let's say that I walk 10 feet within the area of a spike growth spell. Do I take 4d4 damage(,) or 2d4 damage twice?

If you're asking because of Heavy Armor Master, the damage is magical piercing, so HAM doesn't affect it.
I think a DM could rule it either way, but it makes more sense to me that it deals the damage gradually, so if you get downed from hp loss, you drop inside the patch.

N810
2016-08-18, 01:37 PM
You take 2D4 damage listed for each 5' moved through the area.
(I forget if it's 1d4 or 2d4 per square)

Not sure if you calculate resistance between tiles though... or after your are done moving. :smallconfused:
As it usually doesn't make a difference.

gfishfunk
2016-08-18, 01:39 PM
2d4 damage twice is my call.

NNescio
2016-08-18, 01:40 PM
I guess the sensible interpretation is that the damage are taken separately for each 5 ft movement, as otherwise this spell would either deal the damage together or separately depending on how the target moves (explicitly breaks up his movement into 5ft segments vs declaring a full move), which is kinda wonky.

But yeah, HAM wouldn't work, but resistance would apply to each damage instance separately (which is beneficial to the 'victim' as odd numbers round down).

R.Shackleford
2016-08-18, 01:41 PM

"Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 150 feet
Components: V, S, M (seven sharp thorns or seven small twigs, each sharpened to a point)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes

The ground in a 20-foot radius centered on a point within range twists and sprouts hard spikes and thorns. The area becomes difficult terrain for the duration. When a creature moves into or within the area, it takes 2d4 piercing damage for every 5 feet it travels.

The transformation of the ground is camouflaged to look natural. Any creature that can’t see the area at the time the spell is cast must make a Wisdom (Perception) check against your spell save DC to recognize the terrain as hazardous before entering it."

It can go either way.

However the part bolded is wrote as if you take the damage as soon as you move 5'.

Move 5' = 2d4
Move 5' = 2d4
Move 5' = 2d4

not

Move 15' = 6d4