PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Gods

SMac8988
2016-08-18, 08:18 PM
I am working on a paladin of devotion to start CoS, and was wondering if anyone has like a god they perfer for their paladins and clerics.

I am going half orc, and thinking he will have lived as a barbarian prior to finding the path of light. As of now thinking pelor but still looking for suggestions!!!

Arkhios
2016-08-19, 02:44 AM
I am working on a paladin of devotion to start CoS, and was wondering if anyone has like a god they perfer for their paladins and clerics.

I am going half orc, and thinking he will have lived as a barbarian prior to finding the path of light. As of now thinking pelor but still looking for suggestions!!!

If you go by the book, a paladin isn't required to follow a deity, unless the setting specifically says otherwise.

Ravenloft, as I understand it, can be accessed through any D&D world, so any deity is technically possible. Pretty much any deity with the Light, Life, and even Nature domains could work.
In fact, even a worshiper of the Old Faith could find undead abominable and seek their destruction.

Reasoning:
Light opposes Darkness; Classic "Good vs. Evil"
Life opposes Death; Death isn't strictly speaking associated with undeath (by definition, undead exist somewhere between alive and dead), but it's close enough to justify deities of Life to root out undead.
Nature & the Old Faith; Undeath is unnatural thing: You have an incentive to hunt and destroy undead from that perspective.

An out of the box idea:
Raven Queen (Lawful Neutral) from the Dawn War pantheon might be the goddess of death, but she despises undeath as much as Pelor might. And her domains include both Death and Life.
It might make an interesting story to play a Paladin of Raven Queen (note that a paladin isn't required to be "strictly lawful good" either. Lawful Neutral could work just as well with Devotion to Raven Queen), hunting undead (such as vampires and their ilk) as your agenda.

SMac8988
2016-08-19, 04:08 AM
I figured that. I'm honest just not super well versed in the gods. I want him to be the true holy god warrior like a previous edition paladin.

My plan is like his will have holy scriptures scared into him, and almost do a barbaric version of worship to this more civilized god.

Mandragola
2016-08-19, 06:50 AM
Sounds like you might want one of the more stern gods, like Helm or Torm if playing in forgotten realms. Lathander is a little too nice, maybe.

MrStabby
2016-08-19, 08:56 AM
Maybe Tempus could work for the honourable stern type?

A racial god if appropriate might fit?

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-19, 08:56 AM
Go Racist Paladin of the Silver Flame and smite everything that moves because it is probably a filthy lycanthrope or an undead abomination...

SMac8988
2016-08-19, 09:24 AM
How does following a strict god play into the character

Mandragola
2016-08-19, 09:34 AM
I was basing that off where you said:

My plan is like his will have holy scriptures scared into him, and almost do a barbaric version of worship to this more civilized god.

Lathander is a really nice guy. He'd probably try and persuade your character to be good using sunshine, flowers and rainbows or something (unless you were undead, in which case he'd burn you to ash).

Someone like Helm, or one of his priests, would be more likely to go down the fire and brimstone route. You'd get lots of scary images of the sort of judgement that awaited you if you carried on being naughty.

Kish
2016-08-19, 09:38 AM
You need to mention which campaign world you're in. People are making world-specific suggestions; Helm or Lathander isn't a possibility if you're not in the Forgotten Realms, and the Silver Flame only works if you're in Eberron.

SMac8988
2016-08-19, 09:49 AM
You need to mention which campaign world you're in. People are making world-specific suggestions; Helm or Lathander isn't a possibility if you're not in the Forgotten Realms, and the Silver Flame only works if you're in Eberron.

We are running curse of strahd and I haven't decided which realm he is from yet. I know my dm is pretty open with custom areas and will most likely allow whichever god I chose.

So far the only thing I am 100% on is oath of devotion and being a half orc. I also rolled really well on stats so I should be set there most the game, being able to get feats as they come up. Was thinking great weapons, like either a great axe or great sword, and maybe a long sword and shield on my back just in case.

Specter
2016-08-19, 10:02 AM
If you take Torm, you will be exactly the paladin pictured in the book!

http://media.wizards.com/2015/images/dnd/resources/HalfOrc_Paladin.jpg

RickAllison
2016-08-19, 10:20 AM
We are running curse of strahd and I haven't decided which realm he is from yet. I know my dm is pretty open with custom areas and will most likely allow whichever god I chose.

So far the only thing I am 100% on is oath of devotion and being a half orc. I also rolled really well on stats so I should be set there most the game, being able to get feats as they come up. Was thinking great weapons, like either a great axe or great sword, and maybe a long sword and shield on my back just in case.

I would actually suggest Corellon Larethion. Saved from the horrors of eternal enslavement to the ideals of Gruumsh, you seek to act as his envoy, inspiring others like you to rebel against Gruumsh and crushing those who hold his ideals. His banishment to Barovia is a test and a gift of Corellon, a chance to both prove he is worthy to Corellon while also becoming strong enough to stand against a god.

Finlam
2016-08-19, 10:27 AM
In 3.5 my favorite deity was Boccob, the god of magic and apathy. I've always liked the idea of a Paladin who's very passionate about being apathetic, who's smites amount to "Chill the f*ck out!" condensed into searing, radiant damage by the conviction of the Paladin and the uncaring blessing of his god.

BigONotation
2016-08-19, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure why people are poo-pooing Lathander. He is an awesome god for paladins. Specifically when he is worshipped as Amaunator (pronounced ah-MAWN-ah-tor), who was the Netherese solar deity of order, the sun, law, and time. He was viewed as a harsh but fair deity,revered by many rulers, soldiers, and powerful wizards.

MrStabby
2016-08-19, 11:03 AM
I would actually suggest Corellon Larethion. Saved from the horrors of eternal enslavement to the ideals of Gruumsh, you seek to act as his envoy, inspiring others like you to rebel against Gruumsh and crushing those who hold his ideals. His banishment to Barovia is a test and a gift of Corellon, a chance to both prove he is worthy to Corellon while also becoming strong enough to stand against a god.

Personal check here - is this because he is the guy who took Gruumsh's eye?

RickAllison
2016-08-19, 11:25 AM
Personal check here - is this because he is the guy who took Gruumsh's eye?

Yes, but the rivalry extends farther back. Supposedly elves actually were created from the blood Gruumsh spilled from Corellon, so the status quo is orcs hate elves and vice versa.

Laserlight
2016-08-19, 12:15 PM

Tell your DM what you're looking for and see if he has any suggestions. He may have a pantheon he prefers.

Georlik
2016-08-19, 12:30 PM
Actually Lathander is one of the selected few, who are worshipped in Ravenloft. They call him a Morninglord there, but still...

2D8HP
2016-08-19, 12:42 PM
Being unfamiliar with the "Realms" I've wondered the same thing!

When I first saw the "Patron Deity" line on the AD&D Character sheets, I would put down something Greek or Norse, or for the Murder-hobo's (we didn't use that phrase back then) I would put in R. E. Howard's/Conan's
Crom (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crom_(fictional_deity)), and for "good guy's" I would put down The World of Greyhawk's St. Cuthbert (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Cuthbert_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)) whom Gygax probably named after the real one (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuthbert).

Now that I'm playing in the "Forgotten Realms" my Fighters and Rogues go w
Tymora (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tymora), but for a Paladin Dame Fortune/Lady Luck does not seem an appropriate choice!
O Fortuna (O Fortune)
velut luna (like the moon)
statu variabilis (you are changeable)
semper crescis (always waxing)
aut decrescis; (and waning;)
vita detestabilis (hateful life)
nunc obdurat (first oppresses)
et tunc curat (and then soothes)
ludo mentis aciem, (as fancy takes it)
egestatem, (poverty)
potestatem (and power)
dissolvit ut glaciem. (it melts them like ice.)

Sors immanis (Fate - monstrous)
et inanis, (and empty)
rota tu volubilis, (you whirling wheel)
status malus, (you are malevolent)
vana salus (well-being is vain)
semper dissolubilis, (and always fades to nothing)
obumbrata (shadowed)
et velata (and veiled)
mihi quoque niteris; (you plague me too;)
nunc per ludum (now through the game)
dorsum nudum (I bring my bare back)
fero tui sceleris. (to your villainy.)

Sors salutis (Fate is against me)
et virtutis (in health)
michi nunc contraria, (and virtue)
est affectus (driven on)
et defectus (and weighted down)
semper in angaria. (always enslaved.)
Hac in hora (So at this hour)
sine mora (without delay)
corde pulsum tangite; (pluck the vibrating strings;)
quod per sortem (since Fate)
sternit fortem, (strikes down the strong)
mecum omnes plangite! (everyone weep with me!)
So Tyr?

SMac8988
2016-08-19, 07:48 PM
I love all the discussion, I was hoping for this. I need to pick one badly! Lol thanks all

MeeposFire
2016-08-19, 08:24 PM
Maybe Tempus could work for the honourable stern type?

A racial god if appropriate might fit?

Tempus classically does not have orders of paladins. I believe it is his chaotic nature (which I never really felt fit exactly right but that is what they wrote) which kind of limits the acquisition of paladins.

Torm would be the most common but any of the Triad would work (Illmater and Tyr assuming he lives in your campaign). Helm if he exists would also be more towards the lawful end but also fairly popular.