PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some ideas with 3.5

Funkyodor
2007-07-06, 07:58 AM
Hmm, I got to thinking of ways to counter someone who abuses truesight and casts it all the time every time. Also if there is a way to hide from True Sight. Or how to get around being Programmed Amnesia'ed. And what gear would be good for a Spy or Special Forces type NPC/Player.

I wonder if a Contengency to cast Greater Restoration 1 hour after being Programmed Amnesia'ed would work. Or when hearing a command word.

As to Special Forces gear, you would need things that explode, things that do smoke, things that incapacitate, things that get around locks, ranged damage & H2H damage, things that can get through / blast through a door or grate, communication, protection from scrying/divination/thought detection, ability to remote view and scry, swift travel / teleportation, invisibility, detect invisibility, disease/poison/HP curatives, raise dead, ability to swiftly stabilize a downed team mate, uhh... can't think of anything else. So what gear could you give people to accomplish all the tasks.

As to spy gear I'm not sure. I'm thinking everything must not radiate magic, his race should be similar to the popluace he'll infiltrate. Needs protection from thought detection. Should have long distance un-traceable communication ability. Skill in information gathering and detect thoughts ability. Emergency gear (or contacts to go to) if escape is required.

Also, just thought about Assassination. How to go about permenantly killing someone so they can't come back? Because in the day of magic death is really no biggie.

Roog
2007-07-06, 08:06 AM
Also, just thought about Assassination. How to go about permenantly killing someone so they can't come back? Because in the day of magic death is really no biggie.

IIRC - There is some fancy metal, if a weapon made of it is embebed in a creature when it dies then the creatures soul it trapped in the weapon (one soul per weapon only), as long as the soul is trapped in the weapon the creature cannot be resurected.

Fixer
2007-07-06, 08:12 AM
True Seeing is no help against mundane disguises (using the Diguise skill) or natural hiding (using the Hide skill) or environmental effects (like fog or smoke).

The duration on the spell is 1 minute per level. I suppose it can be made 24 hours for a few levels but that's pretty high casting there.

The Material Component that gets used up every time the spell is cast costs 250gp.

How the hell is this guy keeping it active all the time without a magic item?

BloodyAngel
2007-07-06, 08:15 AM
My group had this problem with villains in a higher-leveled game. All the leaders of the main opposition had plenty of access to resurrections and enough resources to make sure they never stayed dead. (There was also a lich who kept bringing back dead bad-guys as undead bad guys, but that's beside the point.)

The way we got around it was this.... We animated our fallen foes as miserable, 2 hit die zombies... and tossed them in a dark room somewhere they couldn't be found via scrying (That part was the hard part). According to some rule we found somewhere or another, a person who is undead, cannot be raised or resurrected until the undead them is killed. So my suggestion to you is to make a "Trophy room" of the zombies of your former foes. Plus, if you've had a bad day... you can tell them to do stupid things and laugh. We spent about twenty minutes laughing one session, when I got bored and made the former grand-cleric of Vecna devour his own foot.

Joltz
2007-07-06, 10:41 AM
Hmm, I got to thinking of ways to counter someone who abuses truesight and casts it all the time every time. Also if there is a way to hide from True Sight. Or how to get around being Programmed Amnesia'ed. And what gear would be good for a Spy or Special Forces type NPC/Player.Hide in plain sight is great.

I wonder if a Contengency to cast Greater Restoration 1 hour after being Programmed Amnesia'ed would work. Or when hearing a command word.I think the contingency for 1 hour afterward would work (where's programmed amnesia?)

As to Special Forces gear, you would need things that explode, things that do smoke, things that incapacitate, things that get around locks, ranged damage & H2H damage, things that can get through / blast through a door or grate, communication, protection from scrying/divination/thought detection, ability to remote view and scry, swift travel / teleportation, invisibility, detect invisibility, disease/poison/HP curatives, raise dead, ability to swiftly stabilize a downed team mate, uhh... can't think of anything else. So what gear could you give people to accomplish all the tasks.Magic Item Compendium has all of that I think. Just a list of stuff in about the order you asked for it

-explosive stuff from MIC
-smokesticks, anything that imitates a fog spell
-wand of knock, picking locks, anything that mimics dimension door
-communication could be permanent telepathic bond spells
-items that mimic nondetection are good for avoiding divinations
-shadow walk and teleport can get you places you need to go
-dust of appearance and dust of disappearance is good for dealing with magical invisibility CS has this stuff called torchbug paste. that's good too
-wands/scrolls of spells and keoghtom's ointment (DMG) is good for healing
-raise dead? cast it or use a scroll. paying an NPC works too
-stabilize teammate? any cure spell, heal skill, or use a blessed bandage (10gp MIC)

That's about it. Someone mentioned a couple of methods of permanent death already. Everything you asked for is possible (if you have enough money/levels). You can get lots of really nice effects with wands/scrolls of unusual spells (Spell Compendium has a ton). Magic Item Compendium has a lot of stuff too (I think it has 3 forms of nondetection in magic items).

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-06, 12:21 PM
Hmm, I got to thinking of ways to counter someone who abuses truesight and casts it all the time every time. Also if there is a way to hide from True Sight. Or how to get around being Programmed Amnesia'ed. And what gear would be good for a Spy or Special Forces type NPC/Player.
Magic disguises can't counter True Sight unless you are using 1 item from the Eberron setting and that item costs 90K. It also has lots of conditions on its use. So It won't really help with what you are asking about.

I wonder if a Contengency to cast Greater Restoration 1 hour after being Programmed Amnesia'ed would work. Or when hearing a command word.
Greater Restoration is a 7th level spell cleric spell. Contingency doesn't work on spells over 6th level (and thats with an 18th level wizard/sorcerer caster).

And if you are allowing crafted contingent spells in your game than you will be allowing a whole new level of cheese.

As to Special Forces gear, you would need things that explode, things that do smoke, things that incapacitate, things that get around locks, ranged damage & H2H damage, things that can get through / blast through a door or grate, communication, protection from scrying/divination/thought detection, ability to remote view and scry, swift travel / teleportation, invisibility, detect invisibility, disease/poison/HP curatives, raise dead, ability to swiftly stabilize a downed team mate, uhh... can't think of anything else. So what gear could you give people to accomplish all the tasks.

-protection from scrying, divination, and thought detection could be done through minblank (the only unbeatable way IIRC) but it won't work well for spies and there are no items of it
-divination spells could handle remote viewing and scrying but neither will function if the target location is protected by anti scrying measures (and what place being attacked by special forces isn't?)
-3/day teleportation is doable with boots of teleportation but they cost 49K a copy
-invisibility can be done with the ring of invisibility
-Potions of Healing will work for the healing part
-Raise dead can't be done with any item except a scroll
-A potion can swiftly stabilize a downed teammate

As to spy gear I'm not sure. I'm thinking everything must not radiate magic, his race should be similar to the popluace he'll infiltrate. Needs protection from thought detection. Should have long distance un-traceable communication ability. Skill in information gathering and detect thoughts ability. Emergency gear (or contacts to go to) if escape is required.
You can't do it and remain undetectable to magic without being a high level caster (as in level 15+)

Communication can be handled by permanent telepathic bonds but the person will show up on ever a detect magic.
Detect Thoughts Ability can be gotten with teh Medallion of Thoughts (29,000 GP in the DMG)

A couple of magic items can do it and so can a couple of spells.

Darrin
2007-07-06, 02:43 PM
Hmm, I got to thinking of ways to counter someone who abuses truesight and casts it all the time every time.

Try this sometime: "Ok, you see what you're really up against." *roll* "You lose 13 sanity points."

That should send the PCs scurrying for a little bit.

psychoticbarber
2007-07-06, 02:56 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/LQrUU7ApBttgaXkOzts.html

Here is a link to the Giant's "Even More Hidden Book"
The last spell might help you with TrueSeers. A little harsh, but use it once and they'll start considering their actions before they act.

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-06, 02:59 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/articles/LQrUU7ApBttgaXkOzts.html

Here is a link to the Giant's "Even More Hidden Book"
The last spell might help you with TrueSeers. A little harsh, but use it once and they'll start considering their actions before they act.
Isn't RAW.

PinkysBrain
2007-07-06, 03:05 PM
Hmm, I got to thinking of ways to counter someone who abuses truesight and casts it all the time every time.
That's not abusive.

Also if there is a way to hide from True Sight.
Hide in plain sight and dust of disappearance.

Or how to get around being Programmed Amnesia'ed.
I don't see a problem with the spell, if PCs use it to get an ally then just make it clear to them you are going to dock them XP if they take a NPC along as an ally. Also MDJ will ruin their day.

And what gear would be good for a Spy or Special Forces type NPC/Player.
Scrolls, single use magic items (such as the above mentioned dust), poisoned ranged weapons.

So what gear could you give people to accomplish all the tasks.
How much money can he spend?

I'm thinking everything must not radiate magic
Lead containers and/or bags of holding and a couple of castings of nystul's magic aura take care of that.

Also, just thought about Assassination. How to go about permenantly killing someone so they can't come back?
Books? A thinaum weapon from CW is a nice cheap solution.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-06, 05:26 PM
If truesight bothers you, put the characters in some magical illusionary dungeon where the illusions are more important than what's actually there, and with truesight you won't be able to see them.

Callix
2007-07-06, 09:25 PM
True Seeing is expensive, short-lived and not all that useful. Don't use magical concealment and the guy will assume that if he can't see it, it's not there. HiPS, Camouflage, or just a dark corridor and the Hide skill can really ruin his day. Alternatively, Scrying and Teleport can give you a lovely ambush when Invisibility isn't working.

Emperor Tippy
2007-07-06, 09:33 PM
True seeing is very nice when its continuously on though :smallwink: