PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Touch of Corruption While Grappling?

Traditio
2016-08-18, 09:36 PM
I'm going to be playing as a level 8 antipaladin with the following feats:

Improved unarmed strike
Improved grapple
Greater grapple

Greater grapple allows me to maintain grapples as a move action rather than a standard action.

What I'm wanting to do:

Maintain grapple and then blast my opponents to kingdom come with touch of corruption (a touch attack).

Is this legit or no?

LTwerewolf
2016-08-18, 09:52 PM
Can't see any reason why not. It's not the most effective us of your actions, but it's functional.

Traditio
2016-08-18, 11:58 PM
Can't see any reason why not. It's not the most effective us of your actions, but it's functional.

There's a drow oracle and a sorcerer with ridiculously high AC that I want to make...dead. Very, very dead.

I'm going to trick the drow into believing that my character is going to bless him with a mysterious rite of the gods. Pin him down. And then fry him into oblivion.

Return to sorcerer. Blind him. Deafen him. Pin him. And then fry him into oblivion.

LTwerewolf
2016-08-19, 12:02 AM
There's a drow oracle and a sorcerer with ridiculously high AC that I want to make...dead. Very, very dead.

I'm going to trick the drow into believing that my character is going to bless him with a mysterious rite of the gods. Pin him down. And then fry him into oblivion.

Return to sorcerer. Blind him. Deafen him. Pin him. And then fry him into oblivion.

CDG during a trance will be easier if tricking them into letting you get close is an option.

Traditio
2016-08-19, 12:05 AM
CDG during a trance will be easier if tricking them into letting you get close is an option.

What is CDG and how do I do a trance?

LTwerewolf
2016-08-19, 12:07 AM
What is CDG and how do I do a trance?

Trance=sleep for elves. CDG is coup de grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#coup-de-grace). There's no reason an antipaladin has to fight fair.

Traditio
2016-08-19, 12:15 AM
Trance=sleep for elves. CDG is coup de grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#coup-de-grace). There's no reason an antipaladin has to fight fair.

They're both level 7. And again, the sorcerer has ridiculous AC (dragonic bloodline) and OP items. There's way too much that could go wrong:

My thinking: if I go the "I am going to give you a blessing from the gods" route, I have a ton of deniability the whole way through. "Yes, yes, just hold still a moment...I need to touch you in just the appropriate way for the rite to work..."

"Yes, yes, I know it hurts. That means that the rite is working. Just grin and bear it; soon, you shall taste immortality and infinite power!"

I made sure to have +14 on my bluff checks to pull this off.

LTwerewolf
2016-08-19, 12:16 AM
They're both level 7. And again, the sorcerer has ridiculous AC (dragonic bloodline). There's way too much that could go wrong:

My thinking: if I go the "I am going to give you a blessing from the gods" route, I have a ton of deniability the whole way through. "Yes, yes, just hold still a moment...I need to touch you in just the appropriate way for the rite to work..."

"Yes, yes, I know it hurts. That means that the rite is working. Just grin and bear it; soon, you shall taste immortality and infinite power!"

AC is entirely irrelevant with a CDG. If they're not conscious, it doesn't matter if you have deniability. You can come up with 8,000 different ways of killing them, but none are as effective as "I walk up to them. I CDG (which requires no attack roll) with a scythe. They make a fortitude save or die." Complicated doesn't mean better. Also it would take more than one round to kill each of them your way, which gives them a chance to fight back. If you really want to use your bluff check (+14 is not a guaranteed thing), then promise to guard them as they sleep. You do not want them to have a chance to fight back.

Traditio
2016-08-19, 12:24 AM
AC is entirely irrelevant with a CDG. If they're not conscious, it doesn't matter if you have deniability. You can come up with 8,000 different ways of killing them, but none are as effective as "I walk up to them. I CDG (which requires no attack roll) with a scythe. They make a fortitude save or die." Complicated doesn't mean better. Also it would take more than one round to kill each of them your way, which gives them a chance to fight back. If you really want to use your bluff check (+14 is not a guaranteed thing), then promise to guard them as they sleep. You do not want them to have a chance to fight back.

Fair point. It won't work with the sorcerer because he has a ring of sustenance.

It should work against the necromancer, though. Can drow get drunk and pass out?

Zanos
2016-08-19, 12:26 AM

Got to ask, are these your party members?

LTwerewolf
2016-08-19, 12:26 AM
Fair point. It won't work with the sorcerer because he has a ring of sustenance.

It should work against the necromancer, though. Can drow get drunk and pass out?

Nothing says they're immune to poison. In fact you can grease the wheels by adding ingested poisons into it.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-19, 12:28 AM

A character with a Ring of Sustenance still need 2 hours of sleep to get 8 hours' worth of rest, so you still have a window - just a narrower one.

Traditio
2016-08-19, 12:34 AM
Got to ask, are these your party members?

Yes. They both are playing chaotic evil characters. The sorcerer has contributed to the death of no fewer than 4 of my characters, as has the person playing the necromancer/oracle. In fact, the second to last death to which the sorcerer contributed involved literally handing over the entire party to be eaten by a giant undead thing in exchange for a magic item. The person playing the necromancer/oracle/drow specifically chose that setup because drow hate all non-drows: in his mind, he was creating a pathfinder version of Hitler.

IoW: The former consistently screws over other players (and is very effective at it), and the latter makes his characters specifically to give him excuses to screw over or kill other players (the previous character he made was an ork who, I kid you not, skull raped people to death).

My characters never last more than two bloody sessions.

Those characters have to die.

Zanos
2016-08-19, 12:35 AM
I think this is why Evil games get a bad reputation.

I can't imagine this ending poorly.

Traditio
2016-08-19, 12:35 AM
Nothing says they're immune to poison. In fact you can grease the wheels by adding ingested poisons into it.

Excellent point. Any recommendations for specific poisons?

LTwerewolf
2016-08-19, 12:38 AM
Excellent point. Any recommendations for specific poisons?

I'm the wrong person to ask for this, as I generally use 3.5 and am not well-versed on pathfinder poisons. I'm sure others here can lead you in the right direction.

I think this is why Evil games get a bad reputation.

I can't imagine this ending poorly.

Yeah, I tend to find pvp games turn into nothing but people trying to get each other back and no game actually happening.

Traditio
2016-08-19, 04:39 AM
Ok. I think I've found the poison that will do the trick. Oil of Restfulness. DC 15 (fortitude) to save against it. Onset: 1 minute. Effect: unconsciousness for 1d3 hours.

No sleight of hand necessary on my part: I'll just have it pre-mixed into the wine. To avoid suspicion, my character will drink too. He saves on a 5+ on a d20 (he gets +10 on fortitude saves). They, however, will get -2 to their fortitude saves (aura of despair).

Even if he gets caught, he can claim that he uses it as a sleep aid, but became so accustomed to it, that he completely forgot about the drug.

And who would suspect otherwise? He drank some himself, after all.