PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Druids and Racial features question

ES Curse
2016-08-18, 09:49 PM
Can Druids use the racial features of their main form whilst Wild Shaped? Referring namely to Mask of the Wild, Halfling Luck, and Gnome Cunning.

RickAllison
2016-08-18, 10:04 PM
Can Druids use the racial features of their main form whilst Wild Shaped? Referring namely to Mask of the Wild, Halfling Luck, and Gnome Cunning.

So long as a form is physically capable of doing so, yes. Halfling Luck definitely works, Gnome Cunning should work, but I don't remember Mask of the Wild. Probably also works.

Things that don't include Aarakocra flight, Minotaur horns, and possibly Driw sunlight sensitivity.

quinron
2016-08-18, 10:23 PM
Tieflings also lose Infernal Legacy spells; while that's covered by "can't cast spells," I've seen enough arguments from people retaining the "racial spells aren't really spells" mindset from earlier editions that it's probably worth mentioning.

hymer
2016-08-19, 02:30 AM
Things that don't include Aarakocra flight, Minotaur horns, and possibly Driw sunlight sensitivity.

And the specifically mentioned Darkvision.

Personally, I'd let all three you mention function in wild shape. If I were to disinclude the gnome feature, it'd mostly be because of my distaste for gnomes. :smallwink:

NNescio
2016-08-19, 02:36 AM
And the specifically mentioned Darkvision.

Personally, I'd let all three you mention function in wild shape. If I were to disinclude the gnome feature, it'd mostly be because of my distaste for gnomes. :smallwink:

What's so bad about them lawn ornaments?

hymer
2016-08-19, 02:45 AM
What's so bad about them lawn ornaments?

Shock. Annoyance. Bruised aesthetic sense. Nauesea. They're a lighter shade of Kender in the wrong hands. :smalleek:

NNescio
2016-08-19, 03:21 AM
Shock. Annoyance. Bruised aesthetic sense. Nauesea. They're a lighter shade of Kender in the wrong hands. :smalleek:

What, whenever they say "oops"?

hymer
2016-08-19, 03:53 AM
What, whenever they say "oops"?

More like pranking people is part of the race description, as is speaking incessantly. They may not be the TPK-machine and effective party cohesion destroyer that a kender is, but they smack of it.
And yes, of course, it depends on the player. I've just never seen a PC gnome played in a way that wasn't annoying at best.

Specter
2016-08-19, 06:52 AM
More like pranking people is part of the race description, as is speaking incessantly. They may not be the TPK-machine and effective party cohesion destroyer that a kender is, but they smack of it.
And yes, of course, it depends on the player. I've just never seen a PC gnome played in a way that wasn't annoying at best.

Yeah, well, most gnomes I've seen were serious people, only being funny/annoying when appropriate. Don't let that judgement be forever.

hymer
2016-08-19, 07:00 AM
Yeah, well, most gnomes I've seen were serious people, only being funny/annoying when appropriate. Don't let that judgement be forever.

If someone plays a gnome in my presence, which I don't feel the desire to crush, I'm sure it'll help moderate my views.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-19, 07:25 AM
Gnomes don't annoy players, Players annoy players. But that discussion lies elsewhere.

My quick and dirty take is the stats: Things related to physical stats disappear, things related to mental stay (if available). But that blurs all over the place. Mask of the Wild is probably the thorniest. Is it a learned skill, a weird elven mojo, or something inherent to the wild elf form? I know how I would rule it for my game (no, it's tied to your elf-tree-blood thing), but that's tied to my world's lore. But what about Lightfoot Halfling? Is their "one size larger" something they've learned to do, or is it being exceptionally slight and nimble?

Can an 18th level druid use racial spells? Are genasi spells part of their physical form, and not count? If so, what about Svirfneblin Deep Magic (from a feat with a racial prerequisite)?

hymer
2016-08-19, 08:23 AM
Gnomes don't annoy players, Players annoy players. But that discussion lies elsewhere.

You say that, but I think (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsN0FCXw914) the gnome helps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_xrLNS6bY). :smallwink:

Can an 18th level druid use racial spells? Are genasi spells part of their physical form, and not count? If so, what about Svirfneblin Deep Magic (from a feat with a racial prerequisite)?

Beast Spells and Archdruid both specify druid spells.