PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Homebrew Playtesting Module (suggestions and the like)

Zaydos
2016-08-19, 01:54 AM
So I've tried running a module to playtest homebrew before and due to multiple factors (one being my own flakiness, one being the module's 1st encounter almost tpked 3 out of 4 groups, including the control group, and then the 2nd encounter was built in such a way as to derail the module by abducting a PC and then not having anything on how to run the follow up encounter :smallsigh:) it failed miserably. However, being me, I am thinking about trying it again.

This time my intent is to:

1) Limit it to my brew, and maaaaaaaybe some things that really interest me (dabblemaster by MorphBark and... there are others but I don't remember them off the top of my head); this has to do with a motivation factor, and because I know my brew and it is 1,000,000 times less likely to trip me up; if something is ambiguous I can clear it up, etc. In short it's also a whole ton less work.

2) Use 2 or 3 control groups (4 official classes, 1 homebrew) and 2 or 3 test groups (4 homebrew, 1 official class).

3) Use a module not picked at random; in this case I've gotten RHoD and Expedition to Castle Ravenloft so I have two options that are known as some of the best modules of all time. This lets me run a control and test group for each, and also give players knowledge that this is a module actually reputed to be good and not just random garbage roulette, while also allowing me to have some control on 'oh you've played X before but not Y?' and stop people from building the dragon/undead slayer knowing they're in RHoD or EtCR. Plan is not to specify which group is which until after play has begun and start them a day before the module with a (not so) random encounter.

4) Make it clear that this is not a high impact stress test for maximum optimization ceiling; a commoner can break the game at maximum optimization ceiling even without Chicken Infested. Throw in that this is a module and precarious to begin with. So no, this is a 'does this function when played for fun' test, because 3.5 is breakable. I mean I love it, but 3.5 is breakable. It's not Exalted 2e, but at the same time it is fragile at the best of times.

This brings me to why I'm posting this thread.

1) I'd like a 3rd module option. Either 5th or 6th level to start (RHoD says 6 to... on the cover but inside you find out it's 5th... EtCR is 6th) and with some reputation to be good, know of any? While I'm not sure I'll run more than 2 out of 3, if I had a bunch of 'I've played RoHD and EtCR' people it'd be nice to have a 3rd less commonly played option.

2) Also considering looking in to getting one of the Dungeon Magazine adventure paths (Shackled City/Cult of Worms/Savage Tide) and was wondering: if they could be started from the 3rd chapter (i.e. 5th/6th level); which were good.

3) Connected to 2, was wondering what levels people thought starting these would actually be good at. While I'm likely to do RHoD and EtCR just because I've wanted to run or play those adventures for a while and I've already gone and got them so they're likely. That said while they cover one of the major play ranges (5-11) I was wondering if people thought it might be best to do the 3rd pair in a module set at a different level range either just see how far I can run Savage Tide/Cult of Worms (I seem to recall Shackled City isn't as good and might be 3.0?), or go with something like Expedition to Ruins of Castle Greyhawk or City of the Spider Queen since those are two other ones I've heard of as good, and Castle Greyhawk has always interested me. That said maybe Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil since Monte Cook was some sort of sorcerer-god when writing for Planescape and putting his name on things makes me want them.

4) I was wondering what people thought about the idea. If someone else liked it and decided to do it/similar, it might be nice to compare notes. I'd say something about it saving on control groups, but DMing style (and RULINGs) impact enough that it really wouldn't. Still would give some more info from the run.

5) Any advice and what all?

Also just in general discuss the idea and people can subscribe to this thread if they're interested so I can just post a 'hey I started the recruitment thread here' link when I do start it.

Eno Remnant
2016-08-19, 04:24 AM
You'd certainly have my interest if you started this up. As you know, I'm a fan of your work :smallsmile:

For modules you could use, I can't say I've run or played anything at the kind of level you want to start at. However, White Plume Mountain and One Last Riddle would appear to be good (White Plume Mountain based on the rating Dragon Magazine gave the 1e version and One Last Riddle because I've skimmed it before and liked what I saw - though I can't accurately recall the content to save myself), but they have a puzzle-solving focus, which is of course more player-focused than build-focused.

As for advice, I can't say I've done anything like this before, but I can offer a very solid tip to keep in mind (which you undoubtedly already know, but reminding you can't hurt): a party is a party, not four individuals.

To elaborate, the usual idea when judging homebrew is to measure its weaknesses against its strengths. You want to judge how well it does in either situation. The problem is, especially in a group which is mostly your own homebrew, there may be a lot of variety or a lot of overlap. So if each class fills in for another's weakness, you can't accurately measure said weakness without contriving an individual situation (this is less of a problem for judging strengths, naturally). A good idea, with all of this in mind, would be to group together classes that have a similar weakness, and then put them in a situation they're not designed for and see how the party goes about things.

I could offer you more advice, but I suspect I'd just be telling you more things you already know. Hope this is helpful!

Starbuck_II
2016-08-20, 12:36 AM
If you don't mind Ebberon, Whispers of the Vampire's blade isn't bad.

Carnival of Tears and Entombed with the Pharaohs are also good.

Zaydos
2016-08-20, 01:32 AM
@Eno: White Plume is one of the most famous modules ever made, though what I've heard about the 3.5 update has been mostly mixed to bad unfortunately. I haven't heard about One Last Riddle so I'll have to look into it.

There are a lot of dangers in the throw a group with similar weaknesses together and then throw their weakness against them. For one thing it skews results since normally groups don't congregate over a single weakness but instead go for covering spreads which ends with an unnatural party state which actually serves to throw things off... that said so does enforcing 4 and 1. I'd be tempted to go 3 and 2 but then the control group is too homebrew saturated to work as control... maybe 3 and 2 for the test group and 4 and 1 for the control group, gives more normal characters meaning it is less likely to get static from overly similar design...

Ultimately, though, I should make a basic solitaire dungeon to run things through with allies of a pretty basic party (solo runs for testing have never seemed to work right for replicating actual play situations)... probably... Warblade, Heal-bot Cleric, some sort of caster, and a second combatant with more versatility focus (factotum?) have the testy take the place of whichever of the four is closest in role. I've done it before and it was enlightening on the classes I did run it for, it just got boring and gave limited results which hopefully a longer and more well actual adventure-style module will help with.

And found One Last Riddle and... it looks quick, a few simple encounters, nothing too out there, could possibly run it as a lead in to EtCR since it's 5th level like RHoD (EtCR is actually 6th level) and it doesn't necessitate me going 'ok, you know how you made your characters and fought some [insert monster] once, level up' will definitely keep it in mind.

@Starbuck_II: Is Whispers undead heavy? I know I've heard of the module (good sign) and I don't really have an opposition to Eberron (it's not my favorite setting, it doesn't even make top 4, but I've considered running it before and didn't at the time because... I'd want to start with a module and didn't want to buy a module or run one).

Also quick google tells me it's Lv 4, know anything about the next in the series (Grasp of the Emerald Claw) which is level 6 and whether you actually need to have done the preceding modules?

Grand Arbiter
2016-08-20, 01:08 PM
@Starbuck_II: Is Whispers undead heavy? I know I've heard of the module (good sign) and I don't really have an opposition to Eberron (it's not my favorite setting, it doesn't even make top 4, but I've considered running it before and didn't at the time because... I'd want to start with a module and didn't want to buy a module or run one).

Also quick google tells me it's Lv 4, know anything about the next in the series (Grasp of the Emerald Claw) which is level 6 and whether you actually need to have done the preceding modules?

While I haven't played it, I have read through it.

A Brelish spy gets turned into a vampire, and is forced to steal a magic sword from a vault.
Said sword is a sentient magic item from the war and takes control of the vampire, driving it to go to Karrnath.
The PCs are hired by the crown to pursue and recover the agent and the blade.
Other groups are also interested in the blade and the agent.
I wouldn't say it's undead-heavy. It is a tad bit rail-roady though.

As far as I can tell, it was a filler module to give everybody a break from the Emerald Claw. The preceding modules are not necessary.

EDIT: I know I'm not the person who brought it up, but I figured I'd try to help out a bit.

ImperatorV
2016-08-20, 02:01 PM
Definitely interested in playing (provided it starts after the end of this month), I can't really offer much advice on things though. My practical D&D experience is limited to a few games that died almost immediately.

AtlasSniperman
2016-08-20, 07:12 PM
1) I dont know many of the official paths sadly, most of my DM's just toss us in a sandbox. I've only recently started Rise of the Runelords
2) I have perused the Dungeon magazine stuff and it looks like Savage Tide would work fine starting from 3rd chapter, though it'd need a little editing for background flavour.
3) I'm always a fan of starting a little lower than the campaign(and before it) to create party cohesion, but as its just a playtest; I don't see any reason not to start at the base level for the path
4) I've considered doing playtest games, but I don't have many friends interested in playing in untested stuff, and I'm not a good PbP DM
5) Naa mate, you're king of homebrew, I'd be seeking advice from you.

Yes, very interested.

Zaydos
2016-08-25, 05:30 PM
Well decided I didn't want to wait to read a 3rd module (since Whispers was for Lv 4 and leveling some people down is more pain than I wanted, and who am I kidding I'd go RHoD and EtCR over 1 of those and the 3rd part of an 8 part series) so I'm gonna go ahead with just RHoD and EtCR.

That said I'm posting right now to say thread is up (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498524-Red-Hand-of-Doom-and-or-Expedition-to-Castle-Ravenloft-with-Homebrew-Playtesting) if you are interested. That and Sniperman made me blush. That is vital information.