PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Wandman: All the partially charged wands.

thethird
2016-08-19, 04:44 AM
Please be nice and constructive on your critiques. That said...

https://img1.goodfon.ru/original/640x480/6/6b/lord-of-war-oruzheynyy-baron.jpg
You know who's going to inherit the earth? Arms dealers. Because everyone else is too busy killing each other. That's the secret to survival. Never go to war, especially with yourself. Yuri Orlov, Lord of War

What does the wandman do?
The wandman creates partially charged wands. Normally single charged wands. The wandman then has tricks to use those partially charged wands. But those wands are in no way limited to him. Spread the love. Gift them to your friends. Answer those monks praying for partially charged wands.

On the basis of the wandman:
I am probably not reinventing the wheel. D&D 3.5 has been going on for a very long time. By now many of the tricks should be out. That said if The Hamagess' Staffsprout (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/mc/mc20020130a) doesn't ring a bell, keep reading this might be worth your time.

The Hamagess' Staffsprout
Transmutation
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Touch
Target: One magical staff
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You cause a branch to sprout from a magic staff and direct any one arcane spell of 4th level or less contained within the staff into the branch. Once the branch is broken off, it acts as a wand with one charge, capable of casting that one arcane spell with a caster level equal to that of the magic staff.

The staff must contain a number of charges equal to at least one plus the number of charges needed to cast the selected spell or the spell is wasted. Casting this spell drains the number of charges needed to cast the selected spell. If the branch is not broken off within ten minutes of the casting of this spell, it crumbles to dust, wasting both the spell and the charges expended to create the branch.

Material Component: A magical staff standing in at least an inch of water.

The wandman will use staffsprout along with ludicrous use of power surge (artificer infusion that provides items with temporary charges) to generate single charged wands (that are valid targets to power surge, again) without it costing him any resource.

Wandman's build?
As a crafter the most efficient wandman is an artificer. Artificer works well straight to 20.

I assume someone is going to cry Objection, phoenix wright style, at this point:

Page 32: Artificer—Item Creation
Magic items created by an artificer are considered neither arcane nor divine.

Staffsprout language refers to arcane spells. Would it work with artificer item creation? I would rule that yes, it does. While the item might not be arcane or divine the artificer item creation language doesn't address the spell itself within the item being arcane or divine.

Still this trick isn't exclusive at all to artificer's a warlock 12 / chameleon 8 would also be a great wandman (better at some points). Any arcane spellcaster can for the matter be a wandman, as long as he has access to staffsprout.

http://p3.storage.canalblog.com/38/67/818284/60793632.jpg
It's light. Handle's adjustable for easy carrying, good for righties and lefties. Breaks down into four parts, undetectable by x-ray, ideal for quick, discreet interventions. A word on firepower. Titanium recharger, three thousand round clip with bursts of three to three hundred, and with the Replay button - another Zorg invention - it's even easier. Zorg, the fifth element

Wandman's feats

The wandman obviously needs craft staff. He is using craft staff to create the staff that will be providing the spells for staffsprout after all.

Good feats for the wandman are metamagic feats. If you need help picking metamagic feats, this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9876.0) might be of help. You want general feats that improve whatever spells you want to put in the wands.

As a spellcaster’s knowledge of magic grows, she can learn to cast spells in ways slightly different from the ways in which the spells were originally designed or learned. Preparing and casting a spell in such a way is harder than normal but, thanks to metamagic feats, at least it is possible. Spells modified by a metamagic feat use a spell slot higher than normal. This does not change the level of the spell, so the DC for saving throws against it does not go up.

While at least my table, I assume it's not a weird houserule, has ruled that for the purpose of item creations the effective spell slot is what matters that's not RAW. So you could put an extended persistent wraith strike in a wand and it will still be a 1st level spell.

A special mention to reserves of strength (Dragonlance Campaign Setting) as it allows to break the CL cap on spells. If the wandman is making blasting wands this is a great thing to have.

Another special mention to arcane thesis (player's handbook 2) as it lowers the cost of metamagic effects for one spell. This is particularly relevant to chameleon based wandman's and is a prime candidate for the floating feat.

The wandman might not be using what he is selling (even if he is losing out). The following feats enhance the use of the wands themselves, after they are created.

Personally I'm a cheap person. And I would rather not spend the resources I've craved. As such I like feats that allow me to use something else instead of the charge within an item. While power surge (the artificer infusion) is the only way of giving temporary charges that can work with staffsprout, once the wand is created (even if power surge is applied to it too) it will eventually run out of juice.

Wand Surge (magic of eberron) allows to expend action points (*cough* singlechargedwandofsanctumpersistentunfetteredhero ism *cough cough*) instead of charges. Wand surge, and unfettered heroism, get reasonably axed at many tables (at least when I try to use it :smalltongue:) by action points not being in place.

Channel Charge (lost empires of faerun) allows to expend spell slots / prepared spells instead of charges. It requires a UMD check and a higher level spell though.

Wand Bonding (stormreach) is like channel charge, but requires you to be a warforged (can't be a chameleon then) and only functions with wands. To compensate it doesn't require a UMD check, nor a higher level spell slot, and it increases the CL of the wand to boot.

Other generally useful using wand feats are useful. Amechra (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10575.0) did a good take on useful feats for the wand user long ago. Remember though that the wandman is at it's core a wand CRAFTER, and that should not be detrimented by being a wand user.

Wandman's spells

The "fun" part of using artificer (item creation) or warlock (imbue item) is that the wandman can put all spells in a staff, and from there in a wand.

Staffsprout has been mentioned earlier. This spell is the bread and butter of the build.

Power surge (ECS) has also been mentioned earlier. If you are not an artificer, because you went the warlock route you will wand this in a magic item, it is very very useful.

Metamagic item (ECS) gives a spell trigger item (such as a wand) a metamagic feat you possess free of charge.

Classess such as recaster (races of eberron) or dragon wizard (dragonmagic) are arcane classes and can add any spell to their list of spells. So if those exist any spell could be an arcane spell. This is not normally relevant for artificers (unless you are trying to pull a psionic artificer, and use spell to power erudites existence to claim that all spells have the potential to exist as powers). But it is relevant for the wandman, as staffsprout calls for arcane spells.

While we are at arcane spells, mysteries from the shadowcaster (tome of magic) function as arcane spells. If you are unfamiliar with them I would encourage you to look at flicker, the rich kid abrupt jaunt wizard, or bolster a non despreciable amount of temporary hp.

Wandman's magic items

I guess by this point you are not surprised by staffs and wands.

I'm going to add to the list though a rod of many wands (complete mage). It allows to use three wands at once. For most wandmans using wands vs the spell they used to create them wouldn't be really beneficial. But through power surge and a rod of many wands it allows the wandman to use 3 spells as a full round action.

Metamagic storm (complete mage) is a "free" metamagic feat. You like those.

Otyugh hole (complete scoundrel) is a "free" iron will, a prereq for reserves of strength.

Eldrittch whorlwood (explorer's handbook) is a special material (increase staff/wand cost by 5%) it twists and gnarls in proportion to the charges it has (specially useful if you are using power surge for temporary charges).

Unguent of timelessness (SRD) your items are made of wood. If you use power surge (or metamagic item) on them trick the pass of time with this unguent and considerably elongate how long those temporary charges last.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/40/4c/60/404c60a9e42c6a88bd123a86465866ab.jpg
I am finished doing what I swore an oath to God 28 years ago to never do again. I've created, "something that kills people." And in that purpose, I was a success. I've done this because, philosophically, I am sympathetic to your aim. I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut. Hattori Hanzo, Kill Bill

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it.

Ruethgar
2016-08-19, 09:58 AM
I would HIGHLY suggest that you try and do this as a Cleric/Artificer if at all possible. Clerics of Magic have access to Improved Power which grants one magic item charge per 2 cleric levels per day. You can get one iteration from giving up Turn Undead, another from nixing your second domain, and a third for the price of a feat. Even if only Cleric 2/Artificer 18, 3/day is still nice if not great. Depending on your DM's ruling on Bloodlines, you could get double the charges for half the cleric level investment.

Gnaeus
2016-08-19, 10:12 AM
I think you can get somewhere similar with a Path of the Crafter Vizier (Dreamscarred Press).

That said, once you've got this guy who can make wands of any level 4 spell, what do you recommend? I asked that on a vizier thread and got very little advice for wands above level 1

Flickerdart
2016-08-19, 10:14 AM
Watch out for that material component - you are burning magic staves each time you create a wand. They need not be the staff you are branching (though it's implied) but since magic staves have GP costs you can't just eschew them away.

Soranar
2016-08-19, 01:57 PM
I just realized a way to abuse this through the ancestral relic feat

-obviously you need to take the ancestral relic feat which lets you create a custom magic item of your choice

-create a magic staff

-add the spell that creates wands on it if you don't have access to the spell any other way, as your charges go down you can replenish them by adding value back into the staff (the only limiting aspect of ancestral relic is it's GP value depending on your level)

-any time you need a particular spell, you can customize your staff to add the spell to it then convert it into a wand, when you do so it reduces the value of your staff which lets you reinvest into it

basically your staff becomes a wand maker and it only cost you 1 feat, like an artificer it lets you create an item out of useless magic items you normally get while dungeoneering and nowhere does it cost you xp

obviously this is quite good so I doubt a sane GM would allow it but it is RAI

thethird
2016-08-19, 03:11 PM
I would HIGHLY suggest that you try and do this as a Cleric/Artificer if at all possible. Clerics of Magic have access to Improved Power which grants one magic item charge per 2 cleric levels per day. You can get one iteration from giving up Turn Undead, another from nixing your second domain, and a third for the price of a feat. Even if only Cleric 2/Artificer 18, 3/day is still nice if not great. Depending on your DM's ruling on Bloodlines, you could get double the charges for half the cleric level investment.

I'm assuming that's pathfinder. I'm not all too familiar with pathfinder could you please provide a link? Anyway it sounds like a good thing to do. Magic domain also allows the artificer to disregard UMD checks for spells that appear in the wizard or the cleric lists so in itself is a good thing. What I know of pathfinder though is that staves work differently than in 3.5 having only 10 charges and being able to be recharged (once a day) so it has another interesting feature.

I think you can get somewhere similar with a Path of the Crafter Vizier (Dreamscarred Press).

That said, once you've got this guy who can make wands of any level 4 spell, what do you recommend? I asked that on a vizier thread and got very little advice for wands above level 1

What I'm using on game at the moment is 3 wands of twinned (by applying metamagic item) maximized empowered invisibled reserves of strength hail of stones. The wands are all within a rod of many wands, so at a full round action spending 3 charges from every wand it is doing 2400 (CL 20) damage in area, no save, no sr and as an instataneous conjuration (creation) spell doesn't care about antimagic or dead magic areas.

We call it the Piecemaker, and everyone in the party carries one.

Watch out for that material component - you are burning magic staves each time you create a wand. They need not be the staff you are branching (though it's implied) but since magic staves have GP costs you can't just eschew them away.

True we've houseruled it as a focus. The spell does have specific text as to what happens to the staff after the spell is cast, and it is not destroyed, so it makes more sense as a focus. Either way I'm using the staffsprout from a staff....

I just realized a way to abuse this through the ancestral relic feat

-obviously you need to take the ancestral relic feat which lets you create a custom magic item of your choice

-create a magic staff

-add the spell that creates wands on it if you don't have access to the spell any other way, as your charges go down you can replenish them by adding value back into the staff (the only limiting aspect of ancestral relic is it's GP value depending on your level)

-any time you need a particular spell, you can customize your staff to add the spell to it then convert it into a wand, when you do so it reduces the value of your staff which lets you reinvest into it

basically your staff becomes a wand maker and it only cost you 1 feat, like an artificer it lets you create an item out of useless magic items you normally get while dungeoneering and nowhere does it cost you xp

obviously this is quite good so I doubt a sane GM would allow it but it is RAI

That's an awesome idea! Like wow. I hadn't thought about ancestral relic. Wow Ancestral relic is crazy good with this...

Flickerdart
2016-08-19, 03:12 PM
True we've houseruled it as a focus. The spell does have specific text as to what happens to the staff after the spell is cast, and it is not destroyed, so it makes more sense as a focus. Either way I'm using the staffsprout from a staff....

It definitely makes way more sense as a focus. Or even a target.

OldTrees1
2016-08-19, 03:34 PM
I'm assuming that's pathfinder. I'm not all too familiar with pathfinder could you please provide a link? Anyway it sounds like a good thing to do. Magic domain also allows the artificer to disregard UMD checks for spells that appear in the wizard or the cleric lists so in itself is a good thing. What I know of pathfinder though is that staves work differently than in 3.5 having only 10 charges and being able to be recharged (once a day) so it has another interesting feature.

Improved Power is a D&D feat. It is in one of the Dragon Magazine issues (Dragon 342, p21 I think).

Ruethgar
2016-08-19, 07:14 PM
Improved Power is a D&D feat. It is in one of the Dragon Magazine issues (Dragon 342, p21 I think).

This is correct. Here (http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Improved_Power) is a link for the feat specifically, but you'll have to find the article if you wish to verify the other two iterations and the specific bonus for the domains. It also may be able supplement the charges used in the spell.

thethird
2016-08-19, 07:30 PM

This is correct. Here (http://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/feat/Improved_Power) is a link for the feat specifically, but you'll have to find the article if you wish to verify the other two iterations and the specific bonus for the domains. It also may be able supplement the charges used in the spell.

Oh well then if dragon magazine is in it certainly good. I'll try to get my hands on the mag though.

OldTrees1
2016-08-19, 07:34 PM

I don't think you can get the same Improved Power multiple times. Presuming this restriction is in place, which of the methods (feat, nix 1 domain, nix Turn Undead) do you think is ideal?

Ruethgar
2016-08-20, 03:52 AM
I don't think you can get the same Improved Power multiple times. Presuming this restriction is in place, which of the methods (feat, nix 1 domain, nix Turn Undead) do you think is ideal?
Just went through it, and while you cannot take the feat multiple times for the same improved power, there appears to be no such restriction on the other methods. However, if limited to one, the magic item is the least damaging, followed by domain, then feat, then turning. This is however, assuming you wish to take advantage of DMM, otherwise Turn Undead is against the flavor of a magical craftsman and would be better gone to keep a feat or a domain power like Scribe Scroll.