PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Creating a new balanced race/subrace

MissJynx
2016-08-19, 07:26 AM
Hi there!

I've been using the DMG to follow some kind of guideline concerning the creation of a subrace for our campaign. The book is very "Do what you want, but be reasonable about it" and since i'm relatively new at this 5th edition I was looking for some input, or any ideas you guys might have.

Here's what I was looking to create; an elven subrace that would be what the Drow and Lolth are to the Abyss, but to the Nine Hells and Azmodan/Asmodeus.

The crimson elves are twisted creatures who were created by and serve the Lord of Hell. They would have some devil traits, but not too far as going full tiefling. I would also like them to have a minor illusion ability to be able to fade into their backgrounds, a bit like chameleons do, but keep most elven traits, such as the sleeping trance and charm immunity.

Stats would be +2 DEX, +1 CON.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joe the Rat
2016-08-19, 08:10 AM
Doing it as a subrace, keep everything in the main stat block.
Elf subrace gives
+1 stat
darkvision
cool magic / wild thing
weapon training
offset penalties

+1 CON is solid. Darkvision is a must. I'd just go with the 60' version.

This leaves a replacement for magic and weapons: Restricting to normal Darkvision (60') and giving them something like the Drow/Tiefling magic sequence is probably sufficient. (1st level: cantrip, 3rd level: 2nd level spellslot (1st or 2nd level spell), 5th level: 2nd level spell). The Tiefling package is thematic and straightforward.

I am sorely tempted to suggest upgrading to 60' Devil's Sight (see in magical darkness), but that either needs to come online later, or come with an offset penalty. Drow get sunlight sensitivity (which can be murder in the wrong conditions), but that doesn't make sense here. A damage vulnerability might be an interesting twist. Silver, radiant, or even holy water would thematic, and quite dangerous if they come up.

clash
2016-08-19, 08:43 AM
I agree with Joe, however I would recommend against the devils sight. It's kinda the warlocks thing and they need to take an invocation for it. Getting it from a race would just be too powerful I think. Tieflings fire resistance was also be themtic. I like the idea of a vulnerability too.

HunterMarked
2016-08-19, 08:59 AM
I would give the Elf-Tielfing Subrace something along the lines of:
+1 Con is okay
Normal Darkvision
Abyssal Legacy (only one from each list):
1st Level Dancing Lights\Light\Message\Thaumaturgy
3rd Level Charm Person\Hellish Rebuke\Fog Cloud
5th Level Alter Self\Darkness\Invisibility\Levitate\Mirror Image\Blur

Nothing else so it is balanced. Another variant I might use would be:
+1 Con
Darkvision