PDA

View Full Version : group problems

Wraithy
2007-07-06, 10:26 AM
i'm having a bit of a problem with my gaming group at the moment.
i'll backtrack to the route of the problem: my friends and I have in-jokes and catchphrases that origionate from previous conversations etc. but where normal people might only have a few, we have a lot, and I mean alot. whenever we play D&D, we end up useing these jokes OOC, and it breaks up the game, sometimes this is a good thing, but thanks to the sheer volume of these phrases in circulation, we end up wasting something like 2 hours of an 8 hour session doing things that don't affect the game in any way. as I said, some times it's funny, but by the time we're halfway through the session; i've become sick of it and just want to go home, as far as I see it, a little goes a long way, especially considering that some of the phrases in such large doses are, well, a bit hutful.
this is ruining the sessions for me and although I don't want it stamped out, i want it to be decreased alot.
how can I get my group to do this? otherwise i'm seriously considering quitting the group.

its_all_ogre
2007-07-06, 10:28 AM
talk to them and tell them how you feel about it all.
simple as that. (don't mean that to come across as snide btw :smallsmile: )

mudbunny
2007-07-06, 10:28 AM
Talk to the DM and the rest of the group about it.

Dizlag
2007-07-06, 10:38 AM
I will third that option! Talk to your group. Sounds like you've got a long history with them and that they'll be kewl about it. Ask if anyone else notices it or not either and that you'd like the group to be a little more focused on the game. Banter, jokes, and having fun is what gaming is all about.

Keep that in mind! And good luck!

Dizlag

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-06, 10:54 AM
We had similar problems. I only played two games with that particular group and we got a truck load of those things.

It's more a sign that it was a really fantastic group.

Piccamo
2007-07-06, 12:59 PM
Talking is for pansies. Go in with guns loaded and let the lead do your talking.

valadil
2007-07-06, 01:02 PM
My current group does that, only they tell stories and in jokes from games I didn't participate in so I miss out on all the good in jokes.

Are you going to game because you want to roleplay or because you want to hang out with these people. Much as I like a good DnD game, I've lost interest in it lately and mostly show up just to be social. If that's why you're going then it doesn't really matter if your conversations are in game or not.

Morrandir
2007-07-06, 01:15 PM
As a player: Talk to them. That's the best option, and really, unless you want to risk friction, the only other one is to start stabbing people in-game.

As DM: In addition to above option(s), enforce RP. ANYTHING said once the game has started is considered in-character, which leads to many strange looks from NPCs, as well as fun penalties to move silently when one guy won't stop the wise-cracking.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-06, 01:43 PM
Yeah, you really need to bring it up before your next session.

Something that has helped our game alot is a likes/dislikes session after every game. The dm and every player has to mention at least one thing they liked about the session and one thing they disliked about the session, it usually ends up being more than one thing both ways. Just remember, everybody gets thier turn and nobody is allowed to cut off the person speaking. Then discuss after each person has his say.

Using this, we have helped tune our games to where everybody has fun. It also really helps the dm focus on the aspects of the game that each player is interested in.

Damionte
2007-07-06, 03:48 PM
If your group is only wasting 2 out of 8 hours of a session with goofing and joking than you guys are way above the curve. That's a very productive group to be honest.

What you're discribing is part of gaming. It's the benifit to pen and paper vs online games. The comraderie of hanging with your friends.

You're only losing 25% of your sessions to bullpoop. so you're doing great.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-06, 04:33 PM
If you quit our group then who will you play DnD with? Only two other people you know outside of our group play DnD.

If you like we can all discuss it tomorrow in person?

Wraithy
2007-07-06, 05:11 PM
well I don't know who those two people are, but I'll just have to live without D&D for a while if things continue like this. I'll miss it, but if I have to I'll learn to live without it.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-06, 05:12 PM
I said we should discuss it Tuesday not at 11.15pm.