PDA

View Full Version : Optimization AL legal character

Klorox
2016-08-20, 12:45 AM
Hey guys, my party is about to wrap up Strahd and people are already rumbling about that new frost giants module.

I really didn't optimize my last character, and I'd like to this time.

Here's my build requests (not all need to be met, but at least half would be nice):

-The character must resemble its final incarnation by level 5 (leave level 20 out of the discussion!)
-I'd like to keep the character SAD, if I could.
-14+ CON
-12+ WIS (ignore if 6 paladin levels are planned, hehe)
-Either a SCAG melee cantrip OR extra attack by level 6 (unless built around eldritch blast)
-Polearm mastery/great weapon fighting/shillelagh is a nice combo
-Somewhat mobile. I really like misty step for example
-Versatility. I'd like some semblance of spellcasting, but a full spellcaster is not required.
-Halfling would be nice. This DM punishes us on natural 1's.

Here are some early build ideas:

1) fighter 2/warlock 2/sorcerer X. A build totally dedicated to eldritch blast. Agonizing blast + repelling blast for damage and battlefield control. At level 7, you're looking at two initial eldritch blasts, two more for action surge, and another two because you Quicken the spell. Dayum! Of note, a 3rd warlock level could go to tomelock for shillelagh if this character ever enters melee.

2) barbarian 3/moon druid X. It's widely accepted that moon druids are the best tanks in the game. With the bear totem barbarian, you're doubling those HP. Dayum!

3) Ghostwise halfling monk of the long death. The stats are a perfect synergy and the long death monks are just cool.

4) Fighter 1/bladelock X. These guys have been detailed many times before, and are excellent (near full) spellcasters in melee with the fiend patron.

5) Nature cleric. Variant humans get polearm mastery immediately, hill dwarves don't have to invest in STR at all to wear the heavy armor.

6) Arcane trickster. I just think booming blade + bonus action disengage is awesome.

7) Tomelock 3/Paladin X. Shillelagh with a great ranges attack as an option. This could be similar to build #1.

What do you guys think? Any additional build ideas? I'm quite open to suggestion!

Mandragola
2016-08-20, 06:44 AM
Wow, all the complexity! I think you could do pretty well with some much simpler builds than you're suggesting.

For instance, a straight up variant human vengeance paladin could start with GWM or PAM. I went with He gets misty step too. No difficulty in meeting your suggested stats.

I'm biased because this is my own character. I went with GWM and stats of 16, 8, 14, 10, 12, 14 to start. I'm now lvl 11 and have strength 20, plus I found a +2 cha book so that's now a 16. I took perception for my variant human skill.

You could actually make a dex-based halfling paladin if you wanted. You might want to have 13 strength to leave the option of a rogue multiclass available later on, though obviously that's a bit of a tax. Either variant would be good.

Halflings also make decent bladelocks if that's the way you wanted to go.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-20, 09:26 AM
Moon Druids don't make very good tanks, yeah they have the HP but they give enemies no real incentive to target them.

Vuman Ranger 3/Monk 2

Hunter Ranger: Horde Breaker, Hunter's Mark.
Resilient CON for Vuman feat.

Dueling style or archery style (use short sword for main attacks).

I would go dueling as it will work with your main attacks but not your unarmed attacks. Though archery would round you out.

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 16
Int: 10
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

AC: 16 (unarmored)
You can go armored monk with this buold but some features are locked away.

Attacks will be...

Attack Action
1d6 (short sword) + 3 (dex) + 2 (style) + 1d6 HM
1d6 (short sword) + 3 (dex) + 2 (style) + 1d6 HM (adjacent creature)

(12 + 12)

Bonus Action

1d4 (kick) + 3 Dex + 1d6 HM
(9 dmg)

Bonus Action (1 Ki)

(18 dmg)

Without Ki: 21 damage to one creature, 12 to another.

With Ki: 30 damage to one creature, 12 to another. Or 21 and 21

Ki refreshes per short rest (2 ki)
Con Save = +6

Pick up PAM or boost ASI.

Dalebert
2016-08-20, 10:19 AM
Title of thread is "AL legal character" and then...

This DM punishes us on natural 1's.

which is not AL legal.

Specter
2016-08-20, 10:30 AM
Spellcasting and melee capacity? Naturally EK.

You can start V. Human and take GWM. PAM is not absolutely necessary because later you get War Magic. Leave your INT low (10 or 12) and focus on abjuration. Until level 5, Booming Blade away. With the Find Familiar spell, you can get advantage on your first attack every turn. So, every attackcan be with the -5 penalty and still hit, making your damage output stellar. Halfling is possible, but would require dropping large weapons and starting without a feat.

Klorox
2016-08-20, 11:19 AM

which is not AL legal.

I meant character creation must be AL legal. Call it AL with a twist, if you prefer.

Moon Druids don't make very good tanks, yeah they have the HP but they give enemies no real incentive to target them.

If doing a massive amount of damage with multiple attacks per round at level 2 is not incentive to draw attacks (all while being fairly easy to hit), then what is?

R.Shackleford
2016-08-20, 03:48 PM

which is not AL legal.

Welcome to AL!

I meant character creation must be AL legal. Call it AL with a twist, if you prefer.

If doing a massive amount of damage with multiple attacks per round at level 2 is not incentive to draw attacks (all while being fairly easy to hit), then what is?

At level 2 they are strong, yes, but then they fall off until about level 18.

Wildshape druids aren't really all that great of a striker.

Klorox
2016-08-20, 09:37 PM
Welcome to AL!

At level 2 they are strong, yes, but then they fall off until about level 18.

Wildshape druids aren't really all that great of a striker.

This is the first time I've ever read anything like this.

In almost any situation I can think of, the size large (or bigger) raging animal certainly looks to be more of a threat than a fighter in armor or a barbarian with an axe.

When you start adding rage damage to the three attacks a bear gets, you're adding more damage than a barbarian at equal level.

I've personally never played a wild shape druid myself (with or without barbarian levels), so this is only going off of things I've read.

djreynolds
2016-08-21, 12:45 AM
Giants throw stuff at you, so having dex proficiency might be strong than you think.

Ranger monk seems powerful. I would take archery style so you snipe and melee with fists/kicks as a monk.

Warlock with repelling blast will be powerful to help keep giants off of other party members.

If plan on tanking, a level of rogue for expertise in athletics would be good.

Plan old bear totem barbarian would be helpful. Yeah a moon druid barbarian could work as a damage sponge, I'm unsure if while raging and in animal form if you can use spell slots as bonus action healing in the AL.

Having spells to let you fly will be helpful.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-21, 10:14 AM
This is the first time I've ever read anything like this.

In almost any situation I can think of, the size large (or bigger) raging animal certainly looks to be more of a threat than a fighter in armor or a barbarian with an axe.

When you start adding rage damage to the three attacks a bear gets, you're adding more damage than a barbarian at equal level.

I've personally never played a wild shape druid myself (with or without barbarian levels), so this is only going off of things I've read.

Moon Druids are notorious for spiking at level 2 and then dropping off. the

They do not stay competitive with DPR unless the barbarian, fighter, or whomever else is gimping themselves.

They get cool tricks, yes, but they do not out damage the barbarian.