PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] How to Orc?

Ortesk
2016-08-20, 01:02 AM
As a long time fan of orcs(easily my favorite race) I have always held them in High Esteem. Due to me being asked to DM for a month, due to vacation of a friend of mine, I figured why not treat the group to an orc filled quest. With the idea being, showing orc as more than blood thirsty animals.

With that in mind, what books/classes/feats/ect do you know of based around Orc's?

I know of Eye of Grummsh, headlong rush, and the little written about orc society in the monster manuals, but what I am really curious is whether or not orc's have their own book. 3.5 or pf acceptable, third party is fine. Thanks, and may the horde be with you :P

illyahr
2016-08-20, 01:09 AM
There are a few for orcs and half-orcs, but they are mostly scattered around different books. I don't think there is an actual book that has orc culture (there probably should be though).

That being said, I've always viewed orcs as Vikings. They have a high reproduction rate and a short lifespan compared to other races. They build communities, but are too aggressive for "civilized" lands so they have to make their homes on the outskirts in areas that don't support farming. They have lower-than-average Intelligence and Wisdom, so most of their spellcasting is set for support of warbands. They raid and pillage, not because they are mindless brutes, but because they need the resources to survive and the so-called "civilized" races refuse to give an inch.

inuyasha
2016-08-20, 01:10 AM
I got a book (https://www.amazon.com/Wrath-Rage-System-Races-Renown/dp/0971438080)all about orcs from Green Ronin. Their work is always nice, and I think the book does a good job of adding extra options for orc players and NPCs, as well as different origins for orcs, different stats, prestige classes, feats etc.

All in all, I think it's really fun

tsj
2016-08-20, 01:12 AM
The warcraft d20 books has some cool orc stuff...
I especially like the way the orc race works in warcraft. ..

The orc and half orc races are nerfed to infinity and back in 3.5 core having way to many downsides compared to very few upsides..

The warcraft d20 orc race is better balanced with the other races in 3.5 and warcraft d20

I too have orcs as my favorite race :-)
I have a wast 40k orc army and a vast fantasy orc army :-) waaaaagh

eggynack
2016-08-20, 01:16 AM
Races of destiny has a lot about half-orcs, fluff and crunch alike. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it could give you some ideas. For example, it wouldn't be too crazy to adapt the barbarian, druid, and paladin half-orc substitution levels to work with orcs too. It could cause some problems on the player end, but allowing for stuff like that on the DM end shouldn't be all that troublesome. Or you could just have some half-orcs hanging around, and use them as the basis for this specific variety of complexity.

Bullet06320
2016-08-20, 05:28 AM
https://www.amazon.com/Slayers-Guide-Orcs-Guides-Book-ebook/dp/1903980348/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471688811&sr=1-1&keywords=slayers+guide+to+orcs

Slayers Guide to Orcs is not the best in the series buts got some fluff to work with

Manyasone
2016-08-20, 07:02 AM
Also an old book by Kenzerco, "Fury in the Wasteland: Orcs of Tellene". It's Kingdom of Kalamar in setting and third edition in style

Pugwampy
2016-08-20, 09:21 AM
Pathfinder advanced players guide has some nice half orc options and feats .

Could you be more specific about what you need from us ORCsperts ?

If you thinking about an orc hub town for the players . I would say no Grumpsh worship . Rather make a shrine or temple to Luthic the cave mother <Grumpsh,s wife> . Now your orc npc,s can be chaotic neutral .

As for hub locations well there is almost nothing except vague references to Many Arrows Keep , Palaschuk , and slum town on the outskirts of Thesk.
Thesk boy halforcs are raided by Orc Females because half orcs males are easier to control supposedly. Most emasculating.

I used vague Palaschuk as a foundation and created a mega half orc underground city of which i ran two campaigns .

My half orcs , ate horses but rode Dire wolves and Boars . They ate pigeons but used vampire bats as messengers . Combat arena in the middle of the city of course .

What I found fun was sticking my fingers on the sides of my mouth and talking to players like that .

The Insanity
2016-08-20, 10:38 AM
PF has the book Classic Monsters Revisited, which, as the name suggests, expands on some of the classic monsters, orcs included.

the_david
2016-08-20, 02:34 PM
If you want to portray orcs as more than bloodyhirsty animals you should do what James Cameron did and just plagiarize Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, Ferngully, etc. Though I'll have to warn you, your players might still go full murderhobo on those poor innocent orcs.

Afgncaap5
2016-08-20, 03:11 PM
You might also find a few things you like in Eberron. Some of the orcs there are the seemingly mindless raiders and pillagers we think of elsewhere, but you also have a few societies of orcs who've become more about finding their balance between things. You have the swamp hunters of the Shadow Marshes (who might be cultists except for those times that they're fighting cultists), you've got the orcs who developed a lot of the traditions that turned into modern druidic practices in the Eldeen Reaches after a dragon showed them ways that they could use natural magic to stop beings of madness from pouring into reality, and you've also got the implaccable orcs, half-orcs, and humans in the Labyrinth of the Demon Wastes who hold the line against all the demons and fiendish things that try to broke out into the rest of the world. I don't know if it'd fit your campaign setting very well, but I've always felt Eberron orcs would get along well with Warcraft orcs. (Or find some reason to dislike each other so much that it leads to war, take your pick.)

Sian
2016-08-20, 03:33 PM
You could import King Obould Many-Arrows from Forgotten Realms (described in Campaign setting and deeper in Silver Marches), as an intelligent Orc ruler, who's in the process of sending scouting parties out, that tries to veer clear of any armed resistance (and if armed resistance is impossible, fighting waitingly to learn opponent battleplans and the like), with the hope of getting good enough maps that they would be able to flood a weak area of the wilderness on the edge of civilized nationstates.

Try to let your party discover Orc tracks, and let them note that they're going about their business surprisingly subtle, and goes out of their way to not be seen.

The Insanity
2016-08-20, 04:00 PM
In our setting there's this one orc tribe that works as a mercenary company. Most of its adult members are warriors. Part is tasked with defending their home, but the rest go out and sell their services to neighboring realms.