PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Combatant, Swordsage VS Warblade

Draconium
2016-08-20, 12:59 PM
I have an itch to make a Martial Adept who fights unarmed, and I've been debating on whether or not I should go Unarmed Swordsage or take Superior Unarmed Strike with a Warblade. From what I can tell, this breaks down as follows.

Unarmed Swordsage

Pros:
-More maneuvers known
-More maneuvers readied
-Higher base damage*
-Wis to AC, and possibly to damage
-Access to Setting Sun

Cons:
-Poor recovery mechanic
-3/4 BAB
-d8 HD
-No armor proficiency

Warblade

Pros:
-Full BAB
-d12 HD
-Easy Recovery Mechanic
-Access to Iron Heart
-Medium Armor Proficiency

Cons:
-Few maneuvers known
-Few maneuvers readied
-Lower base damage*
-Two-feat tax

So, basically, I'm having trouble deciding. Which is why I'm here - I want your opinions. Which one do you think would make a better unarmed combatant?

*Yes, I realize that the base damage isn't too important, but I still want to take it into consideration.

Eladrinblade
2016-08-20, 01:51 PM
Not having armor proficiency is irrelevant for the unarmed swordsage, because he can still wear armor that doesn't have a check penalty, unlike the monk who loses abilities if wearing armor at all.

Seppo87
2016-08-20, 02:22 PM
Unarmed swordsage has easier access to dex-to-damage which becomes important when you're using snap kick, unarmed twf, and mongoose maneuvers.

While it's vastly more popular, the strength based swordsage that uses single strikes is basically a gimped swordsage. Go full dex or full wisdom, with the right dips, and do as many attacks as you can.
Use boosts.

Dips for Dex include, but are not limited to:
Swashbukler 1
Fighter 1 or 2, hit-n-run
Ferocity Lion Totem Barbarian
Fist of the Forest

Dips for Wisdom include, but are not limited to:
Serenity Paladin 2
Shiba Protector
Psywar/Warmind

Good progression options in general include Warblade and Master of Nine, and even Martial Monk if that's allowed (especially if using fractionary BaB)

Of course you're not supposed to stuff everything inside a single build, first decide what you want to focus on, then do that.