PDA

View Full Version : 5e D&D NEEDS this....

Baptor
2016-08-20, 09:06 PM
Miniature paperbacks of the Core rulebooks!

Paizo is doing it for Pathfinder, I saw and looked at some the other day at the local store and they are fantastic! They lay flat, travel better, I really would drop some bills on the Core books again if they would release them this way!

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/pzo1110-pe.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWArlFMerhNw6MQInCQxZDImqPS lcgr6qJofhKCBEEHEgaAln08P8HAQ

Specter
2016-08-20, 09:38 PM
Honestly, no.

Klorox
2016-08-20, 09:49 PM
If it sells well for pathfinder, I'll bet WotC does it too.

Gastronomie
2016-08-20, 11:07 PM
First they need to print it in Japanese, I had to translate the entire PHB to play with my friends

An official PDF would be nice.

alkatrazjr
2016-08-20, 11:17 PM

No doubt; it's not hard for anyone to find a way to pirate it, WoTC needs to make the effort to make a superior product.

IShouldntBehere
2016-08-20, 11:22 PM
Meh. I'm super into these kind of products for the kinds of games I need to be strict about the rules about with and am often playing away from home like say a Tabletop Wargame. In that case they're great because I always need the rules on hand and lugging a big book around is annoying.

For D&D though I'm hardly obsessed with playing-by-the-book 100% of the time and I'm usually playing at someone's home most of the time, with ample shelf and table space for big books. It's hard to get excited about this personally.

Might be good for those strict-RAW, AL-only players which seem to be a healthy contingent around here.

Regitnui
2016-08-21, 12:10 AM

They can add Web Enhancements and include the various errata. PDFs are easier to edit than print copies, after all. And who would say no to an expanded PHB and MM including all the races and monster stat blocks printed in adventures and supplements respectively?

Klorox
2016-08-21, 12:17 AM
First they need to print it in Japanese, I had to translate the entire PHB to play with my friends

Out of curiousity, what languages is the PHB available in?

CantigThimble
2016-08-21, 01:06 AM
Meh. I'm super into these kind of products for the kinds of games I need to be strict about the rules about with and am often playing away from home like say a Tabletop Wargame. In that case they're great because I always need the rules on hand and lugging a big book around is annoying.

For D&D though I'm hardly obsessed with playing-by-the-book 100% of the time and I'm usually playing at someone's home most of the time, with ample shelf and table space for big books. It's hard to get excited about this personally.

Might be good for those strict-RAW, AL-only players which seem to be a healthy contingent around here.

I can also see the value for people who like to read the book out of their games. A softcover would be much more convenient for theorycrafting characters and studying spell lists on lunch break or at a coffee shop.

Gastronomie
2016-08-21, 02:15 AM
Out of curiousity, what languages is the PHB available in?To my knowledge, only English. Which my friends aren't exactly good at.

Professor Gnoll
2016-08-21, 02:21 AM

Unfortunately, it's not happening. (http://hobbyjapan.co.jp/dd/news/next/index.html)

NNescio
2016-08-21, 02:50 AM

Non-official (https://www63.atwiki.jp/dnd5e-jp/pages/28.html), but it has the Basic Rules and some parts of the DMG and MM.

--

Out of curiosity, if you were to choose not to use katakana for the spell-casting classes, how would you translate them? 魔術師 for Wizard vs. 妖術師 for Sorcerer vs. 魔法少女 魔道師 for Warlocks? 秘術騎士 for Eldritch Knights? 奇術詐欺師 for ATs?

BW022
2016-08-21, 07:00 AM
Why?

I don't see much need for it. I don't know where you play, but most players play at a table and have enough space for a large battlemap, character sheets, and a PHP. Typically, I put the PHB under my character. Many players don't even have one at the table, some use spell cards, one has an electronic character sheet on his iPad. Even the DM doesn't actually have a PHB at the table -- and just borrows one if really needed. When I DM, I have one, but 99% of the time I can run it without as we know what spells and abilities do.

At home when writing D&D modules or campaign, I have tons of books on the shelf. No need for a pocket book.

Even if I needed a PHB outside the game table... it is 2016. Give me a PDF. Virtually everyone has a computer, tablet, or cell phone. 90% of the time for modules, character creation, etc. I look up spells, monsters, etc. online.

5E D&D doesn't need this. It could use some basic setting books, cheap (paperback) adventures (not $70+ hardbacks), good PDFs, etc.

Regitnui
2016-08-21, 08:43 AM
We need the PDF because some of us use our laptops instead of a DM screen. Why a softcover, which will likely fall apart faster than thale existing hardback version, I don't know.

2D8HP
2016-08-21, 08:53 AM
A pocketbook would be nice, maybe shrink down the (admittedly wonderful) artwork to fit.
But my tired old eyes already need reading glasses or a magnifying glass to read the index's in the 5e Core-books, and my old paperbacks (I'm talking about you Michael Moorcock!), and if so much of it wasn't so familiar I would need them to read my 1e books as well!
So if they just shrank it down, without bigger type, higher contrast pages, or a flat magnifying glass attached to the book with a string, most likely I just wouldn't be able to read it!

Baptor
2016-08-21, 01:39 PM
1. I don't have a tablet or whatever. Not all of us roll that way. I still use notebooks and pencils.

2. A 3rd party produced a similar product for 3.5. Mongoose I believe. I found it much easier to pack around 3 paperbacks than three hardcovers and they NEVER wore out even though I used them all the time.

3. The hardbacks are not bound well (no hardback is these days it seems) and tend to fall apart. My MM has already started to come apart so I can't take it out anymore. I checked the binding on the paperbacks for Pazio and they are much better.

4. Two words: LAY FLAT.

I hear you on the PDF and I think WotC should do that too, but me getting the paperbacks I want won't cause you not to get a PDF.

Sigreid
2016-08-21, 02:16 PM
What amazes me is they don't release electronic copies because "they're too easy to pirate" but the people who are going to pirate them already do that and the people who are going to buy the hard covers are often the people who would also buy the electronic copy.

It's like they're stealing from their own pockets.

Slipperychicken
2016-08-21, 03:06 PM
I almost feel willing to pay them full hardcover price for a quality PDF, if that's what it takes to drag WotC into the 21st century.

And not just "let's scan the book once and sell it". I mean, they should make it searchable, support the PDF with updates like errata, sage advice, and common developer rulings. I've seen Catalyst do this with their 500-page shadowrun books, so I don't see why WotC doesn't follow suit. Even indie devs can put good, accurate links into their PDFs (i.e. just click the link instead of "see page 187" in parentheses).

It shouldn't even take them that long. They could probably give UA a break for a month or two, freeing up whoever was doing those PDFs to get the rulebooks for sale online.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-21, 04:31 PM
Why?

I don't see much need for it. I don't know where you play, but most players play at a table and have enough space for a large battlemap, character sheets, and a PHP. Typically, I put the PHB under my character. Many players don't even have one at the table, some use spell cards, one has an electronic character sheet on his iPad. Even the DM doesn't actually have a PHB at the table -- and just borrows one if really needed. When I DM, I have one, but 99% of the time I can run it without as we know what spells and abilities do.

Multiple PhBs? Yeah, over here it's most likely that, for any game, only one person will actually own the core rules. Maybe 2 if it's 3.5 or my friend is running GURPS. It's not like the books ever take up that much space, although they might if I ever get all the splats for Anima (yeah, I don't run 5e, it's just too simple and easy for my GMing needs).

Heck, if space is an issue the first thing to go is always the battlemat. If we need it we can just substitute a piece of paper, we draw the map small and give everyone a letter (normally Greek for the PCs and English for the enemies).

5E D&D doesn't need this. It could use some basic setting books, cheap (paperback) adventures (not $70+ hardbacks), good PDFs, etc.

Yep, although I'm not interested in 5e enough to buy them, I can agree that 5e is seriously missing a lot of content. Several times I've hoped that they'd just release a book that updates the rules portions of various settings, as they aren't beating the 2e boxed sets, so I can see why they aren't releasing setting books, but the lack of adventures is horrible. I don't personally know anybody who uses them, but I'm sure many GMs just don't have the time to plan a campaign from beginning to end, so an adventure every few months would fill a market niche.

And when it comes to pdfs, I personally have a tendency to not buy them when I can get away with it (I don't own a laptop or tablet), but I see the value in them and the ones I do have get pulled up a lot when I'm planning. I'm also fairly certain that WotC would make more money off a pdf sale at £20 then a physical sale at £30 (what I bought my phb for), it's not like pdfs of the books aren't floating around the internet anyway (Anonymouswizard does not support pirating books, but seriously I'm sure your search engine of choice will show you one in the first 3 results).

Alcibiades
2016-08-21, 04:42 PM
but the lack of adventures is horrible.

What about the Adventurer's League adventures? They're out on the DM's Guild for a couple dollars and the names I've seen on there make me think there's certainly the potential for a quality. I haven't actually played any of them, though.

With 10-12 people working fulltime on D&D (last I checked anyway) I wouldn't hold my breath for a setting book anytime soon.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-21, 04:49 PM
What about the Adventurer's League adventures? They're out on the DM's Guild for a couple dollars and the names I've seen on there make me think there's certainly the potential for a quality. I haven't actually played any of them, though.

As far as I know the quality is fine, the problem is the quantity. Adventures aren't released quite often enough for a GM who has to rely on them for various reasons. I don't particularly care because I don't use them, but the thing is that you have very little choice in what adventures you run (at least compared to 3.5 where Dungeon gave you a few every month).

With 10-12 people working fulltime on D&D (last I checked anyway) I wouldn't hold my breath for a setting book anytime soon.

Oh no, we're effectively getting a 'setting book/MM2' combination, it's just that it's the Extremely Well Remembered Realms again. D&D isn't like Anima where you only have one world to support, there are Greyhawk fans and Spelljammer fans and Eberron fans who are getting really annoyed that they haven't had anything.

Baptor
2016-08-21, 09:03 PM
I almost feel willing to pay them full hardcover price for a quality PDF, if that's what it takes to drag WotC into the 21st century.

And not just "let's scan the book once and sell it". I mean, they should make it searchable, support the PDF with updates like errata, sage advice, and common developer rulings. I've seen Catalyst do this with their 500-page shadowrun books, so I don't see why WotC doesn't follow suit. Even indie devs can put good, accurate links into their PDFs (i.e. just click the link instead of "see page 187" in parentheses).

It shouldn't even take them that long. They could probably give UA a break for a month or two, freeing up whoever was doing those PDFs to get the rulebooks for sale online.

I agree with this. If they released a true interactive PDF like the one you describe, I'd pay good money for that.

Oh no, we're effectively getting a 'setting book/MM2' combination, it's just that it's the Extremely Well Remembered Realms again. D&D isn't like Anima where you only have one world to support, there are Greyhawk fans and Spelljammer fans and Eberron fans who are getting really annoyed that they haven't had anything.

Isn't this the truth? I like the Realms, but I ran it for 15 years and I was kind of hoping to use 5e to break out of there. However it looks like D&D IS the Realms now, which is very sad. I was much happier when it was a host to many worlds all with books on the shelves. I can understand not rehashing similar settings to the Realms like Greyhawk, but can't we have Eberron? Darksun? Planescape?

mgshamster
2016-08-21, 11:02 PM
but can't we have Eberron? Darksun? Planescape?

I've worked on a couple of planescape translations: The Great Modron March and Dead Gods. Unfortunately, they've asked me not to post any more on the GM Guild until WotC releases a planes product. After I finished Dead Gods, I started working on setting neutral stuff.

I would like to complete the planescape adventure translations, though. And I've completed two of the bigger ones. I may have to post the rest on google docs or something, but that format doesn't get the kind of audience I want. DM guild is much more likely for a D&D and Planescape fan to come across and enjoy the translation.

tsotate
2016-08-22, 03:12 AM
What amazes me is they don't release electronic copies because "they're too easy to pirate" but the people who are going to pirate them already do that and the people who are going to buy the hard covers are often the people who would also buy the electronic copy.

It's like they're stealing from their own pockets.
QFT.

They can either have the current situation, where anyone who wants a PDF isn't paying them anything for it, or release official PDFs and get some money. Even if only 5-10% of us would be willing to pay for the PDFs, that's a lot of money that they're just leaving on the table.

At least three people in my gaming group are perfectly willing to pay for their PDFs (they're the type of people who already spend hundreds of dollars on minis, maps, dice, etc) but have no interest at all in carrying around another physical book. It's 2016, and everyone at our table has tablets there anyway.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-22, 05:54 AM
Isn't this the truth? I like the Realms, but I ran it for 15 years and I was kind of hoping to use 5e to break out of there. However it looks like D&D IS the Realms now, which is very sad. I was much happier when it was a host to many worlds all with books on the shelves. I can understand not rehashing similar settings to the Realms like Greyhawk, but can't we have Eberron? Darksun? Planescape?

One setting book for the Very Well Remembered Realms (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/sc-adventurers-guide) is already out, and this monster book is probably going to be filled with VWRR fluff (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters). It's a major annoyance because the core rulebooks were actually setting-free, and implied support for Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron as well as the Forgotten Realms. Unfortunately, we apparently all like the Forgotten Realms (I don't, I prefer Birthright), so everyone else has to wait until an Unearthed Arcana comes out that gives you most of the rules needed to play.

At least three people in my gaming group are perfectly willing to pay for their PDFs (they're the type of people who already spend hundreds of dollars on minis, maps, dice, etc) but have no interest at all in carrying around another physical book. It's 2016, and everyone at our table has tablets there anyway.

Eh, the groups I've played in all prefer a physical book for reference. Some of us will definitely buy pdfs if there's no way we can get a physical copy, but we tend to avoid playing if there's no book (having referred to Eclipse Phase's strategy as 'a book for the table', and those books aren't particularly expensive (the core at least, the splats are too expensive for me). But we have a lack of tablets and most of us prefer to play sans-laptop, because we're retro that way (and also because it leads to fewer distractions).

Alcibiades
2016-08-22, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately, they've asked me not to post any more on the GM Guild until WotC releases a planes product.

I get why they do this (if their online shop sells your product and there are coincidental similarities between your and their products they feel they're open to legal trouble) but it's still a little insulting given that Planescape isn't even anywhere to be seen on the horizon

2D8HP
2016-08-22, 08:19 AM
One setting book for the Very Well Remembered Realms (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/sc-adventurers-guide) is already out, and this monster book is probably going to be filled with VWRR fluff (http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters). It's a major annoyance because the core rulebooks were actually setting-free, and implied support for Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Eberron as well as the Forgotten Realms. Unfortunately, we apparently all like the Forgotten Realms (I don't, I prefer Birthright), so everyone else has to wait until an Unearthed Arcana comes out that gives you most of the rules needed to play.I loved Greyhawk, and thought Eberron was pretty neat (the "Warforged' bugged me though), but the "Realms"? When they keep it generic (Phandelver rocks!) it's alright but I hate the "Factions", they just feel way too Get Smart/James Bond/Superfriends: Control vs. Kaos/MI-7 vs. Spectre/Justice League vs. Legion of Doom, and they are what seems like the worst thing about the setting to me.

Eh, the groups I've played in all prefer a physical book for reference. Some of us will definitely buy pdfs if there's no way we can get a physical copy, but we tend to avoid playing if there's no book (having referred to Eclipse Phase's strategy as 'a book for the table', and those books aren't particularly expensive (the core at least, the splats are too expensive for me). But we have a lack of tablets and most of us prefer to play sans-laptop, because we're retro that way (and also because it leads to fewer distractions).I hope they don't do the pdf thing. It really bugs me that so much content is only available in pdf form, and I can't just get it my FLGS to order it for me (my introduction to OOTS was from the old The Dragons Magazine and the printed books. I just don't want to buy things "online" and then need to get something printed, I greatly prefer giving cash and getting a real book, but now I've bought some games at my LGS only to be told "There's extra pdf content that comes with the purchase", do they print it for me? No! If I want it bound do I then have to get that done after the hassle of getting it printed? Aaargh!
Does prolonged reading from screens give me enormous headaches!
:furious:
I hate that I can't get the "Elemental Evil players companion", because it's only a pdf and I hate that The Dragon is no more, and all the content that could have gone to it is now online only, and even worse it's in the form of "podcasts" and "videos". Please let me pay cash for bound and printed things I can actually read!
I'd be fine with them having content as pdf's IF I COULD STILL GET REAL BOOKS AND MAGAZINE'S, but Nooo! Too much of especially "indy" games and adventures, I just can't order from game or book shops, I DON'T WANT TO PAY ONLINE! After the one time I bought a textbook that way, my credit card that was still in my wallet was somehow travelling the world (Citi-bank called me and asked me when did I visit New York City and Dubai, um.. never!
I have little use for even most "free" content if I have to then separately arrange to have it bound and printed.
:yuk:
Bring back real books please!

Joe the Rat
2016-08-22, 08:29 AM
It's about protecting the IP. Frankly, I think they'd be foolish not to tap into this for later development ("can become/ lead to official product" was one of their bylines in opening the DMGu), but I suppose it depends on who they farm it out to.

I am also hopeful for a Gith Incursion season to open up the Planes (and introduce psionics), but that would almost require them to start releasing more settings. Imagine how nuts AL would get (and the number of events they could have) with "Off-Worlder" character certificates.

But for small form, they could probably start with something like this (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwCtO5aw9n2LbjFqSWRLWWh3ZGM/view), and tack on the ogl race/class and a brief spell list.
(If anyone has the original link for this, please let me know. I've saved the document, but can't find the creator's original posting)

mgshamster
2016-08-22, 08:32 AM
I get why they do this (if their online shop sells your product and there are coincidental similarities between your and their products they feel they're open to legal trouble) but it's still a little insulting given that Planescape isn't even anywhere to be seen on the horizon

Not exactly. I can make any old Edition conversion to 5e and put it up (free or sale, doesn't matter), so long as it's Forgotten Realms, Ravenloft, or Generic Setting.

The issue was that it's Planescape. Specifically, they don't want any product lines that could detract from their sales, and publishing conversions of older settings that aren't currently supported risk detracting from the settings that are supported.

I understand why they do it. And I'm fully in compliance (they gave me an exception for the two I put up, and asked me not put up anymore). So for me, I'm just hoping that they branch out to other settings so we can enjoy those as well. Once they publish a book on the planes, then I'm free to make more conversion documents for Planescape. Until then, I have to stick to the three listed.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-22, 09:33 AM
I loved Greyhawk, and thought Eberron was pretty neat (the "Warforged' bugged me though), but the "Realms"? When they keep it generic (Phandelver rocks!) it's alright but I hate the "Factions", they just feel way too Get Smart/James Bond/Superfriends: Control vs. Kaos/MI-7 vs. Spectre/Justice League vs. Legion of Doom, and they are what seems like the worst thing about the setting to me.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I personally would like to play in a world more like Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, where there's basically only the material plane and possibly demiplanes, and wizard and cleric magic are two sides of the same coin. Heck, I plan to run a game in such a world, although using the Anima rules and splitting the paths of magic between 'Sorcery' and 'Miracles'.

I hope they don't do the pdf thing. It really bugs me that so much content is only available in pdf form, and I can't just get it my FLGS to order it for me (my introduction to OOTS was from the old The Dragons Magazine and the printed books.

Eh, tabletop gaming is in a weird place right now. I personally don't mind the pdf-only content, as generally they are put out either by smaller companies or for free, so I'll just print it out and stick the pages in a folder (sure, it'll suffer wear and tear faster, but I can replace pages as I need), although I'll buy the physical book if it's available. It's also occasionally a way to get the product out to people earlier, I'm going to have to wait until October to pick up a copy of The Dark Eye in hardback.

I just don't want to buy things "online" and then need to get something printed, I greatly prefer giving cash and getting a real book, but now I've bought some games at my LGS only to be told "There's extra pdf content that comes with the purchase", do they print it for me? No! If I want it bound do I then have to get that done after the hassle of getting it printed? Aaargh!

Eh, I've found that it's generally just a copy of the book in pdf when pdf content is offered with the book. I've never yet seen actual extra pdf content offered with the purchase of the physical book, although that might have to do with me being in the UK.

And again, I'm happy to just use a holepunch and stick it all in a ringbinder, so I only have a problem with pdfs of more than about 100 pages. It just takes an age to print everything.

As it does for all of us, we just have to learn to deal with it sometimes.

Too much of especially "indy" games and adventures, I just can't order from game or book shops, I DON'T WANT TO PAY ONLINE! After the one time I bought a textbook that way, my credit card that was still in my wallet was somehow travelling the world (Citi-bank called me and asked me when did I visit New York City and Dubai, um.. never!

Eh, I've bought plenty of stuff online (mainly Amazon and DrivethruRPG) and never had a problem (mainly from Amazon and DrivethruRPG), both when using my Debit Card (I do not own a Credit Card) and PayPal. It's generally okay, but I can understand the hesitation if you've had such an experience.

I have little use for even most "free" content if I have to then separately arrange to have it bound and printed.

Ring binders are your friend. I don't bother to get my pdfs printed into proper books, it's more hassle then just getting a ring binder and sticking it all in. Sure, you can only really do a couple of hundred pages per binder and have to replace them occasionally, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to have a physical copy of the rules.

The issue was that it's Planescape. Specifically, they don't want any product lines that could detract from their sales, and publishing conversions of older settings that aren't currently supported risk detracting from the settings that are supported.

The problem with this is that by not allowing me to sell Planescape/Birthright/Dark Sun on DMsGuild I'm just going to end up distributing it for free. Sure, it's going to be slightly harder to find, but if it's good enough it'll get around by word of mouth and WotC has given up the chance to make any money off of it.

Now I understand that it's not black and white, but as it is they're at least making me less likely to buy their stuff. I mean, I could buy stuff that gives me lots of fluff I don't use, but I already own the 2e PhB and DMG and picked up the pdfs of the Monstrous Manual, Dark Sun, Planescape, and Birthright, why bother if I have enough to play?

Sigreid
2016-08-22, 10:18 AM
I loved Greyhawk, and thought Eberron was pretty neat (the "Warforged' bugged me though), but the "Realms"? When they keep it generic (Phandelver rocks!) it's alright but I hate the "Factions", they just feel way too Get Smart/James Bond/Superfriends: Control vs. Kaos/MI-7 vs. Spectre/Justice League vs. Legion of Doom, and they are what seems like the worst thing about the setting to me.
I hope they don't do the pdf thing. It really bugs me that so much content is only available in pdf form, and I can't just get it my FLGS to order it for me (my introduction to OOTS was from the old The Dragons Magazine and the printed books. I just don't want to buy things "online" and then need to get something printed, I greatly prefer giving cash and getting a real book, but now I've bought some games at my LGS only to be told "There's extra pdf content that comes with the purchase", do they print it for me? No! If I want it bound do I then have to get that done after the hassle of getting it printed? Aaargh!
I hate that I can't get the "Elemental Evil players companion", because it's only a pdf and I hate that The Dragon is no more, and all the content that could have gone to it is now online only, and even worse it's in the form of "podcasts" and "videos". Please let me pay cash for bound and printed things I can actually read!
I'd be fine with them having content as pdf's IF I COULD STILL GET REAL BOOKS AND MAGAZINE'S, but Nooo! Too much of especially "indy" games and adventures, I just can't order from game or book shops, I DON'T WANT TO PAY ONLINE! After the one time I bought a textbook that way, my credit card that was still in my wallet was somehow travelling the world (Citi-bank called me and asked me when did I visit New York City and Dubai, um.. never!

To be clear, I want both an official printed copy and a electronic copy. Preferably one that will work on my Nook. I also think every 3 to 4 books they put out they should sell a compendium of the classes, monsters, magic items and rules.

I don't want to dend you hard copies, I just want both...Without having to sign up to use it through Fantasy Grounds.

Edit: I would also be more than happy for them to save bits by not including the art work in the electronic copy.

2D8HP
2016-08-22, 03:18 PM
To be clear, I want both an official printed copy and a electronic copy.As I wrote before:

II'd be fine with them having content as pdf's IF I COULD STILL GET REAL BOOKS AND MAGAZINE'S,
Judging by what publishers do, by and large "both" is not an option. They could give us both, but they won't, and I'm increasingly frustrated by all the content that they won't print, and I don't own a "Nook", and I resent that I need to buy equipment just so I can read a book! It's clear to me that to
drag WotC into the 21st century would mean the loss of some real books.
:frown:
There's a lot to like about the 21st Century (this Forum and a much lower murder rate for example), but the continuing abolition of printing isn't to my taste.
It could be argued that without the electronic versions then there would be no printed versions anyway, but since they got rid of The Dragon Magazine, when they rolled out all sorts of electronic only content, I don't believe it.
Most of WotC's content is already electronic only (have you looked at all the riches at the DM's Guild?), and when they cease printing I will cease buying their products.
I wish it were otherwise, but it's clearly either or.

Anonymouswizard
2016-08-22, 04:55 PM
Huh? Sprint's not dying for tabletop anytime soon, but it's mainly shifting to Print on Demand. It's just not feasible for many RPG companies to order print runs, and Print on Demand allows players to order a rulebook and know it'll be 'in stock'.

I own 3 PoD books, all Onyx Path. The hardcover copy of Blood and Smoke is falling apart, but Scion: Hero and Demon: the Fallen are both holding together well. I know it's hurting the FLGS business model, but it's incredibly convenient to know that I can order a book and have it in two weeks, and they're never out of stock.