PDA

View Full Version : Help with making a fighter build

flappeercraft
2016-08-20, 11:18 PM
So right now me and a friend started to look for things we could use for a fighter build. This build is supposed to continue of one of his characters and we are planning way ahead up to level 21. The current thing we have (this is a low level campaign atm) is a Half orc Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Green Dragon Shaman 1. On abilities he has Strength 20, Constitution 18, Dexterity 17, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 15 and Charisma 12. On feats he has Improved initiative, weapon focus greatsword and weapon focus scimitar. What we are looking for is a front line fighter who can actually do something at higher levels but can do well both solo and with a party. Our DM allows us to use wish to trade a feat for another feat we have the prerequisites for so weapon focus scimitar can be changed (although this versatility has saved our asses). Up to now we have found the knockdown feat from sword and fist which we think could be useful. Right now our party is composed of a Dwarf Fighter 1/Wizard 3, a Human Cleric 4, a Hobgoblin Fighter 3 and possibly a new member soon who we dont know what class he is going to be. Any suggestions? All is allowed while its not 3rd person party or ToB

Seerow
2016-08-20, 11:44 PM
So right now me and a friend started to look for things we could use for a fighter build. This build is supposed to continue of one of his characters and we are planning way ahead up to level 21. The current thing we have (this is a low level campaign atm) is a Half orc Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Green Dragon Shaman 1. On abilities he has Strength 20, Constitution 18, Dexterity 17, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 15 and Charisma 12. On feats he has Improved initiative, weapon focus greatsword and weapon focus scimitar. What we are looking for is a front line fighter who can actually do something at higher levels but can do well both solo and with a party. Our DM allows us to use wish to trade a feat for another feat we have the prerequisites for so weapon focus scimitar can be changed (although this versatility has saved our asses). Up to now we have found the knockdown feat from sword and fist which we think could be useful. Right now our party is composed of a Dwarf Fighter 1/Wizard 3, a Human Cleric 4, a Hobgoblin Fighter 3 and possibly a new member soon who we dont know what class he is going to be. Any suggestions?

Okay so what exactly is the concept your friend is going for here? Is the Dragon Shaman an important part of character identity, or is it just something picked up to improve versatility/give extra soloing potential? What sources are available? Are you looking for anything in particular beyond "be able to hold your own at high levels"? How simple does the build need to be? Are we looking at "at will abilities only", or is gishing it up acceptable?

Just based on what you've posted so far, the Dragon Shaman gives me the impression of looking for some sort of magic twist for the character. So rather than dipping into Dragon Shaman (which is pretty awful) I'd go for some form of Sorcerer Gish with a draconic flavoring to it. Probably something like Warblade1/Battle Sorcerer 4 into your pick of Gish prestige classes. Battle Sorc gets pretty limited spells known, but it gets enough to pick up the important buff/mobility spells, and toss on a few fun spells here and there (if you go with the draconic theme, there's several breath weapon spells that are appropriate, along with stuff like Draconic Ally).

Note: I suggest Warblade only because you mention loving the 'versatility' of having both weapon focus scimitar and greatsword. Warblade lets you switch which weapon your weapon focus style feats apply to every day, so you get that versatility without wasting precious feats on it.

flappeercraft
2016-08-21, 12:57 AM
Okay so what exactly is the concept your friend is going for here? Is the Dragon Shaman an important part of character identity, or is it just something picked up to improve versatility/give extra soloing potential? What sources are available? Are you looking for anything in particular beyond "be able to hold your own at high levels"? How simple does the build need to be? Are we looking at "at will abilities only", or is gishing it up acceptable?

Just based on what you've posted so far, the Dragon Shaman gives me the impression of looking for some sort of magic twist for the character. So rather than dipping into Dragon Shaman (which is pretty awful) I'd go for some form of Sorcerer Gish with a draconic flavoring to it. Probably something like Warblade1/Battle Sorcerer 4 into your pick of Gish prestige classes. Battle Sorc gets pretty limited spells known, but it gets enough to pick up the important buff/mobility spells, and toss on a few fun spells here and there (if you go with the draconic theme, there's several breath weapon spells that are appropriate, along with stuff like Draconic Ally).

Note: I suggest Warblade only because you mention loving the 'versatility' of having both weapon focus scimitar and greatsword. Warblade lets you switch which weapon your weapon focus style feats apply to every day, so you get that versatility without wasting precious feats on it.

There is nothing there about identity if more he is siding with evil patron god Hextor than of following dragons and also is more of the fighter/barbarian side of things. The auras were just a bonus we were able to use for healing allies and causing more damage.

About sources no ToB thats it which sucks because its such a good book which actually means no warblade unfortunately.

Eladrinblade
2016-08-21, 06:55 AM
With a moderate amount of spell-support, even a straight fighter can contribute at higher levels. However, if you want to be able to do it yourself, takes levels of cleric (str/war are good domains). I would drop dragon shaman; that will just slow you down.

Hurnn
2016-08-22, 12:41 AM
Take fighter to 6 grab both dungeon crasher acfs at 2 and 6 then go warblade 12.

flappeercraft
2016-08-22, 04:42 PM
Take fighter to 6 grab both dungeon crasher acfs at 2 and 6 then go warblade 12.

As i already mentioned in a revious comment ToB is not allowed

Pugwampy
2016-08-22, 05:43 PM
Your Str is 20 and you can rage . I dont think you need any weapon focus feats . Your best magic weapon in this game will be whatever the DM dictates when he drops it for you . Keep yourself versatile .

Hurnn
2016-08-22, 07:38 PM
As i already mentioned in a previous comment ToB is not allowed

missed that anyway go ranger 12 instead.

rrwoods
2016-08-23, 01:18 AM
Ditch the Weapon Focus feats. Versatility can indeed "save your ass", but +1 to hit with one weapon isn't versatility.

You have good Dexterity -- consider Combat Reflexes + Stand Still and pick up a reach weapon to keep enemies from closing on you or your party-mates. Which reach weapon you pick is up to you. As a 20th-level Fighter you'll be swimming in feats (but no real class features); if you're really set on fighter all the way, I'd suggest spending one of your many feats on Exotic Weapon Proficiency for the spiked chain. If not, then go Barbarian and switch your weapon to a guisarme.

EDIT: I somehow missed that you're Fighter 1/Barb 1/DS 1. I still suggest the Combat Reflexes + Stand Still combo over the WF's if it's not too late to change those and you want to play a defensive character. Otherwise... Did you get the Spirit Lion Totem ACF from Complete Champion? If that's off the table, you'll want to find some other way of moving + full attacking. There are a multitude of ways to do it; the Travel Devotion feat can help (either via a Cleric 1 dip or just take the feat).