PDA

View Full Version : Adventure idea for rogue/wizard and psion/monk

trikkydik
2016-08-21, 12:58 AM
Running a gestalted campaign with a rogue/wizard and a psion/monk. Both level 14

Any ideas on what types of conflicts work well with those class combos.

I'm thinking about something like, the rogue has to work a magic device, or pick a lock while the monk has to buy time by fighting monsters.

But also looking for some conflicts that can let the rogue make his sneak attacks while the monk gets to do his fighting.

Thanks guys

icefractal
2016-08-21, 03:57 AM
This duo seems like they'd probably be good at stealth/infiltration, or at least a lot more capable of it than most parties. So that could be an interesting thing to feature.

Combat-wise, it depends on what kind of spells and what kind of powers they focus on, but I'd think they have good offensive power, but not so much stamina and recovery ability as normal. So long fights or series of fights in quick succession will be extra difficult. But a single BBEG without backup could be ganked really fast.

By this level, they can likely teleport, so don't rely on physical distance or barriers for the primary source of difficulty.

I'm not saying that "work this device while the rest of the party protects you" can't work, but it's a pretty tricky line to walk - the skill check time has to be fairly short for doing it in combat (as opposed to dealing the foes first and then doing it) to be a reasonable plan. And even when it works, the person making the check basically has to sit out for a fair amount of real-time.

Staggered-out checks are an alternate way to do it. "Activate this device, wait for a minute while it boots up, set it up to do X (1-2 rounds), then keep anyone from turning it off for another minute while it does X. Oh, and guards will start arriving a couple rounds after you first turn it on." for example. And this can tie in with the infiltration thing too - learning the guard schedules and timing this when the fewest are around, plus sealing a few important doors shut, could make guard arrivals slower, for example.

Extra Anchovies
2016-08-21, 03:55 PM
Well, Wizard//Rogue strikes me as a treasure-hunter sort, diving into ancient tombs in search of ancient magical secrets, while a Monk//Psion would probably adventure to test their limits and hone their body and mind to perfection. At level 14, such a duo can easily travel between planes, and that's probably what they'd do given how much more interesting they can be than the material plane. I can see them delving into forgotten ruins and long-abandoned sites on Acheron, Pandemonium, Gehenna, and the other parts of the multiverse where everything - even the plane itself - is trying to kill you. They'd always be chasing the next mysterious rumor or unexplored location, puzzling out its secrets and dispatching its guardians not because they need whatever lies at the end of their path, but because their curiosity and dedication won't let them walk away. They're both very intelligent and experienced, enough so that they're probably bored by obstacles they know they can overcome; maybe they sometimes forgo any sort of planning or divination in favor of jumping into the mouth of Hell and relying on wits and guts to pull them through.

On a more immediately practical level, that means classic-style dungeon crawls, where getting through isn't so much about brute force as it is about knowing how to properly approach each obstacle. I recommend taking a look at White Plume Mountain, the 3.0 Book of Challenges, and other puzzle-heavy dungeons for inspiration.

trikkydik
2016-08-22, 05:46 PM
You guys have been so helpful.
Thank you,
I love this forum.