PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Expanding permanency list though research or otherwise increasing spell duration.

Albions_Angel
2016-08-21, 02:13 PM
Hi all

I have something that could be solved easily though a homerule, but I dont like homerules that dont have a basis in the rules somewhere, unless they are global, background rules (expanded spell lists, a different death and dying mechanic that is less roll and pray and more tactical, an improvement and simplification to dodge, banning dinosaurs because why are they in high fantasy anyway).

So, I have a plot hook that involves a very powerful magic item, but one that should still be affected by "Magic Aura". This item is intended to set up the BBEG for far in the future, and forms a side quest in the first session.

If it burns out their eyeballs under detect magic, it will raise suspicions. Magic Aura is perfect for that. But magic aura lasts for days, and I need it to last for a LOT longer. Permanency looks good, but it has a strict list. I could just add Magic Aura, but I would feel happier if I could see rules for researching new permanency spells before I do.

The other option is metamagic. Now extend doubles duration, but isnt there a metamagic feat that gets you up one duration category? So from rounds to minutes, minutes to 10s of minutes, then to hours, day, weeks, years? Im sure I have seen crazy ways for people to boost the duration of spells to crazy levels.

Well, any ideas?

MisterKaws
2016-08-21, 02:18 PM
Gate in a god and ask them nicely. Alter Reality has a built-in zero-restrictions zero-costs Permanency function.

Albions_Angel
2016-08-21, 02:28 PM
Um...

Wow...

I mean, I guess its a rule and it technically works and its exactly what I asked for... but...

Um... any chance I can do it without divine help? Gods in my world are... weird. And not exactly inclined to help BBEGs like this.

MisterKaws
2016-08-21, 02:32 PM
Um...

Wow...

I mean, I guess its a rule and it technically works and its exactly what I asked for... but...

Um... any chance I can do it without divine help? Gods in my world are... weird. And not exactly inclined to help BBEGs like this.

You could have it be an advanced use of Wish, which falls to your discretion. Just use some random peasant girl as sacrifice.

Alternatively, it could be one of the item's effects. The price would probably be really high, though.

Elkad
2016-08-21, 02:56 PM
It's a magic item. Just add continuous Magic Aura or Nondetection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nondetection.htm) to it's powers.

You are baking it in, no need for a new permanency effect.

Albions_Angel
2016-08-21, 03:02 PM
Dont know if I can do that. Its a Canopic Jar...

MisterKaws
2016-08-21, 03:13 PM
Dont know if I can do that. Its a Canopic Jar...

You can. It's in the magic creation rules: just some modifiers and it's good to go.