PDA

View Full Version : Entangling Vine Armor?

Afgncaap5
2016-08-21, 03:54 PM
In an Eberron mini-adventure I've been running I decided to outfit the Drow villain in the vine armor found in Secrets of Xen'Drik. One of the oddities about Vine armor (as compared to most leaf armor or bark armor or other similar natural armors) is that the armor is actually alive and requires weekly watering. It was an odd note, but I included it in the villain's stat sheet since it seemed reasonable to have a Drow assassin using armor that would boost stealth in the jungle. Near the end of the story, the Drow had a clear shot at racing the players to the treasure they were all going for and an easy way to get the loot and get out without any real restriction. And then the druid cast Entangle on the armor.

I quickly looked over a couple rules and couldn't find anything that commented on this one way or the other and, well, it was ultimately too cool an idea to not roll with, so I decided that the armor (enchanted) should get the equivalent of a will save, which it failed, and then the armor started entangling its wearer.

It's a really fun idea, and a use I hadn't thought of before, but I wanted to know if there's something I'd missed or forgotten about that would prevent this kind of thing from happening. I sort of hope there isn't anything, but felt like I should check my work here just in case.

eggynack
2016-08-21, 04:19 PM
Sounds about right. If you didn't run it that way already, it's worth note that the area of the spell would likely be entangled, rather than just the guy in the armor. And, notably, if you instead had the plants only move about on top of the armor, rather than moving towards the ground and acting as broader entanglers, then I think that he'd be capable of moving as he's not attached to something immobile. As another note, the entangling wouldn't be mobile, as it's area centered rather than object centered. You don't cast entangle on armor. You cast it, and the plants just happen to be coming from armor. So, the villain could leave the area. Separately, I'ma probably look into that armor now. I've been mentioning the use of plants attached to animal companions for awhile now, as a way to use entangle in plantless areas, but vine armor seems to be a more codified method.

Afgncaap5
2016-08-21, 05:49 PM
Sounds about right. If you didn't run it that way already, it's worth note that the area of the spell would likely be entangled, rather than just the guy in the armor. And, notably, if you instead had the plants only move about on top of the armor, rather than moving towards the ground and acting as broader entanglers, then I think that he'd be capable of moving as he's not attached to something immobile. As another note, the entangling wouldn't be mobile, as it's area centered rather than object centered. You don't cast entangle on armor. You cast it, and the plants just happen to be coming from armor. So, the villain could leave the area. Separately, I'ma probably look into that armor now. I've been mentioning the use of plants attached to animal companions for awhile now, as a way to use entangle in plantless areas, but vine armor seems to be a more codified method.

That's a good thought. Given the circumstance, though, it seemed reasonable to me that the vines themselves would entangle other nearby things and immobilize her. I could easily see that not being the cast most of the time, though.