PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PoW] Help with Mage Hunter PrC spell selection

Flarowon
2016-08-21, 06:38 PM
So I'm currently playing in a campaign as a human Warlord, one of the martial initiator classes from Dreamscarred Press' Path of War book. We're hitting level 6 soon, and I'm planning on prestiging into the Mage Hunter PrC from the same book, which gets spontaneous casting drawn from the Magus spell list. I'm having difficulty deciding what spells to pick, seeing as there are quite a few to choose from and I don't have much experience with the Magus in general. Furthermore, I'm aware that casting spells is eating into the same actions as maneuvers, so I have to balance that as well. If anyone knows any must-haves or all-star spells (or traps to avoid!), the advice would be much appreciated.

In case it influences anything, my character fights with a spear for reach but isn't into tripping, and he's specializing in the Scarlet Throne and Veiled Moon disciplines.

Also, is the Combat Casting feat generally considered "worthwhile" for a character casting in melee, or should I focus more on avoiding concentration checks entirely?

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-08-21, 06:57 PM
I've heard that the Magus VMC is pretty nice with the Mage Hunter, since at 11th level you can spellstrike spells on the magus list... which is all of your spells. The highest concentration check to cast in melee for you will be 27; since you effectively have a full caster level (as it is your initiator level), you shouldn't have a problem if you have a decent initiating/casting stat. If you check Kurald's guide, that has a useful guide to your spells; just don't focus on damage spells, since most of those are more for magi that intend to spellstrike things.

Azoth
2016-08-21, 07:17 PM
These were the picks I used on my Mage Hunter build.

Cantrips:
Detect Magic
Mage Hand
Ghost Sound
Prestidigitation
Read Magic

Lvl1:
Blood Money (Page of Spell Knowledge)
Grease
Obscuring Mist
Long Arm
True Strike
Silent Image

Lvl2:
Glitterdust
Mirror Image
Shatter
Web

Lvl3:
Channel Vigor
Magic Weapon Greater
Irradiate
Wind Wall

Lvl4:
Caustic Blood
Invisibility, Greater
Hail Storm

Lvl5:
Baelful Polymorph
Mask Against Divination (Page of Spell Knowledge)
Teleport
Wall of Force (Page of Spell Knowledge)

Lvl6:
Dispel Magic Greater
True Seeing (Page of Spell Knowledge)

I tried to pick primarily buff spells to make use of the free Extend Spell that the Mage Hunter gets. Some BFC options that didnt rely on saves were also chosen to give me a way to help handle mooks.

Blood Money + Mask Against Divination will give you a free (relatively 1 point of Str damage every 2 days) 48hr DC 35 CL check to be picked up by any divintation spell including See Invis and True Seeing.

legomaster00156
2016-08-21, 07:26 PM
Pretty sure the VMC rules explicitly discourage allowing VMC to interact with standard multiclassing.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-08-21, 08:01 PM
Prestige classing =/= multiclassing. It's the reason there aren't VMCs of the core PrCs.

Flarowon
2016-08-22, 12:24 AM
Unfortunately, variant multiclassing isn't open to me as we don't have the book for it (our group's policy is "only material from books we own"), thanks for the tips though. Big thank you to Azoth as well for the list, that will be very helpful!

Tuvarkz
2016-08-22, 03:00 AM
Try to mostly go for utility spells, since you already have direct damage through strikes, and should manage a few debuffing maneuvers too.

digiman619
2016-08-22, 09:44 AM
Unfortunately, variant multiclassing isn't open to me as we don't have the book for it (our group's policy is "only material from books we own"), thanks for the tips though. Big thank you to Azoth as well for the list, that will be very helpful!

It's from Pathfinder Unchained if you want to rectify that.