PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Strahd (Smashbro and CD)

smashbro
2016-08-21, 09:31 PM
https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/campaigns/131811/assets/565007/barovia__1_.jpg?1457245899

You open your eyes as a cool breeze suddenly blows over you, feeling uneasy and off-balance as you try to comprehend your surroundings. You thought you had gone to bed for the night but instead, inexplicably you stand upright on a deeply rutted gravel road.

Surrounding you with cold, cloying fingers are slowly swirling clouds of fog, gently rolling and obscuring your view - anything beyond a few steps are only outlines. The mists press inwards a bit and you are totally immersed in the fog again for one terrifying moment. Then they recede, constricting and expanding as though a slowly beating heart. As the fog recedes each time, a silhouette appears and then gains definition. Someone else has suddenly appeared out of the fog! But then it happens again. And again. And again until there are five bewildered and confused souls congregating in the mists on that gravel road in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by naught but thick, claustrophobia-inducing fog. Looking up reveals a darkened, heavily clouded sky – the moon emits a weak, sickly light through the clouds, but you are not able to see any stars.

Then, you look down and notice that you are no longer in your bedclothes. Instead you are garbed in accouterments suited for combat or exploration or both, even if at this point in your life you own no such possessions.

The fog begins to dissipate and you notice the road is surrounded by tall grasses gently bending in the cool breeze, as if long, narrow fingers reaching to caress your legs. As the fog clears further, it reveals a village not far in the distance, its tall houses dark as tombstones.

Belac93
2016-08-21, 10:38 PM
The raggedy fire haired girl immediately ducks, staring around herself with wild eyes "Who are you! Why am I here!" She gives a terrified look at the noble boy, slightly younger than herself, "Tell me!" She exclaims, panic creeping into her voice, and she jumps back, and quickly lights a torch, snarls a few words that none of you can understand, and the fire blazes twice as hot, illuminating everything within 80 feet of the young girl.

The torch blazing very hot is control flames, making it illuminate twice as much.

Sirithhyando
2016-08-22, 06:42 AM
The night, a concept foreign to Eleven. She just went to bed as a breeze wash over her.
She open her eyes. Dreaming already? Her usual prison-like chamber had no wind except for when the door opened for her training, before death paint her eyes and beautiful figure. She still haven't realised that she's not alone in this strange place.
Quivering and gently rubbing the gravel under her feet This... this... is this not a dream? Where am I? Her voice, trembling, seemingly echoing in her mind in the vast area where she stood.
She got startled by the voice close to her, finally realising that she's not alone. She falls on her back and push herself toward the edge of the gravel road until the tall grasses brushes against her neck.
She then stumble on the gravel road scared but quickly realising it was nothing to be afraid of. Now she focused on the other present. She puts a hand where she usually kept a small rod and to her astonishment, it was there so she took it out pointing it toward the others. He's... he's not here? Who... who are you? I... I'm Eleven. Did he sent you all? Is this another test of him?
Eleven then slowed and looked at Rose holding the torch. I've... did I see you before? I get the feeling i've seen you before.
She then let go of the rod, lloking at the stuff she had with her hoping to find it... an old drawing she made.
You... you can't exist... it's not possible
With teary eyes, Eleven glance at Rose while holding a drawing strangely ressembling Rose. Now i know i'm dreaming...

I've put Eleven to be on the other side of the "noble boy". Thus, she's going toward him and Rose. Edit : changed my post to reflect the fact that we are closer than initially thought.

Azktor
2016-08-22, 09:35 AM
Khitan

As Khitan awake in the middle of nowhere, his first reaction is to grab his sword and shield, surprised that both are in their holsters ready to be used. After a couple of seconds trying to figure out what is going on, he notice this red-headed girl appearing out of nowhere inquiring him. Khitan repplies trying to be brave, but as his voice come out of his body he notice it is shaking "My name is Khitan...and I have no ideia why are you here, in fact I have no ideia why I am here either..."

He then looks around to see if he have any ideia where this place is or any sign that could indicate something, as he looks around he notice the other girl approaching and gets both nervous - because they could be setting some sort of trap for him - and glad for not being completely alone in this place.

Draw Sword and Shield
Perception roll: Just to look around see if I can notice any sign or maybe something that could indicate where he is [roll0]

Belac93
2016-08-22, 09:59 AM
Rose's eyes at the boy drawing the sword, and she yells out. A snarl of flame leaps out from the torch, and lands in front of Khitan, and then flies back, to sit in between the girl and everyone else. The flames lick out, surrounding her like butterflies.

"Hey! You!" She says, pointing at the 14 year old girl approaching them, "What's yer name?!" Beshaba's tits, this is a nightmare. Dark, strange people, a &$@!-#& sword weilding noble! They could be anywhere! I need to get away, I need to kill them, I need to find out where I am! She takes a deep breath, and hunches down, watching everyone, and waiting for the younger girl to reply.

Sirithhyando
2016-08-22, 10:24 AM
I so wanted to answer : I AM GROOT; oh well :smalltongue:

He never put someone with those kind of power before... She looked at Rose
I am Eleven and you are not the only one capable of strange things here. Now that i've answered, tell me, who. Are. You? Your answer will impact my next action.
Eleven wasn't trying to be convincing with the feer in her voice. Though she kept Khitan between her and Rose as the tip of her rod became ligthed by a pure white light.
This is only a dream, she was repeating this in her mind over and over. But she was doubting that more and more. And still, there was others who had yet to reveal about themselves.

She cast "light" on her Rod. The fire was making shadows that she wanted gone for now.

CleverDragon
2016-08-22, 10:35 AM
The area is now bathed in light both from Rose's exceptionally bright torch and from the end of Eleven's rod. And yet, despite the increased illumination, the fog flanking the dirt road completely absorbs the light and reveals nothing further beyond a couple of feet. However, it does make one thing more readily apparent: the fog has cleared only enough to flank the road and a portion of the grasses on either side. The walls of fog undulate in the breeze, as though slowly breathing.

Further down the lane, the group is able to make out the tall, dark shapes of buildings silhouetted against the dark night sky. About sixty feet behind them the walls of fog begin to close in, engulfing the road entirely and ever so slowly they begin to roll and roil in their direction.

Belac93
2016-08-22, 10:56 AM
"My name is Rose. I just left Waterdeep, because I attacked some idiot nobleman. And now I'm here." she screws up her face in disgust, and then in fear as the fog begins to approach. She gives a little whimper, and dashes towards the buildings, the fire on the ground quickly going out.

marrok
2016-08-23, 07:38 AM
His eyes flutter open from his trance. Raeziel's Eyes grow wide at seeing the fog. He jumps to his feet.

Calling out to the fog, oblivious of the others, "Tule'diel?! Tule'diel?! Where are you brother? Tule'diel. Raeziel is here. You brother has come for you."

Finally taking note of the others. His eyes wild and wide.

"Have you seen him?! Speak! HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?! A wine-haired elf?!"

Seeing the young girl dash off, Raeziel begins to give chase.

"Wait! It's dangerous! People disappear here!"

Sirithhyando
2016-08-23, 08:01 AM
Eleven have barely the time to answer back to Rose when she goes in a run towards some building. A second after, she see's another give chase. Getting finally conscious of the approaching fog, she sprint, giving chase to Rose. Though still confused about all that's happening, she tries to look for an answer in her mind, but she was never meant to think... just follow orders... what to do in a strange place without guidance was beyond her. In a panicked voice, she added, short of breath while running and looking back toward the fog What is this place? Why did he sent me here??

Azktor
2016-08-23, 03:02 PM
Khitan

Khitan keeps holding his sword, but now in a less threatening way towards the others.

"My name is Rose. I just left Waterdeep, because I attacked some idiot nobleman. And now I'm here." she screws up her face in disgust, and then in fear as the fog begins to approach. She gives a little whimper, and dashes towards the buildings, the fire on the ground quickly going out.
Khitan looks both concerned and relieved about that, repplying "I'm comming from Waterdeep myself, last thing I remember was going to bed in a local Inn, trying to figure out where to go next..." Khitan stop talking not sure if this is the moment to share his life and end saying "A noble you say? Who was this Noble? or how did he looked like?" a bit nervous now because it might've been his father or brother leading some mans to come after him "Is it possible that they captured me during my sleep and left me here as punishment...?"

"Have you seen him?! Speak! HAVE YOU SEEN HIM?! A wine-haired elf?!"

Seeing the young girl dash off, Raeziel begins to give chase.

"Wait! It's dangerous! People disappear here!"

"Calm down sir, I'm going to help you find this person. What is his name? Was he with you last time you remember?" Khitan feeling a bit more courageous now, still shaking a bit, but less visible. The truth is he always felt braver when helping others.

Eleven have barely the time to answer back to Rose when she goes in a run towards some building. A second after, she see's another give chase. Getting finally conscious of the approaching fog, she sprint, giving chase to Rose. Though still confused about all that's happening, she tries to look for an answer in her mind, but she was never meant to think... just follow orders... what to do in a strange place without guidance was beyond her. In a panicked voice, she added, short of breath while running and looking back toward the fog What is this place? Why did he sent me here??
Khitan looks confused to Eleven "He? Did someone sent you here, is that what you are saying?"

onlie2005
2016-08-24, 09:32 PM
She was the only child of the group, and she was startled by what she saw. As she woke up she knew that this was totally unexpected. She should be in a lifeboat, not in a dirt gravel road. Still she quietly surveyed her surroundings. Oddly enough she had obviously been crying for the past few minutes before she fell asleep. She had just lost her mother and was now somewhat traumatized. But this did not help matters. She did not know where she was and something inside her told her that this was unnatural. Swiping away the tears from her face she assessed the situation. This girl may seem a little vulnerable and she certainly was innocent but there was an inner strength inside her she was unaware of. And survival instinct kicked in.

If anything she was canny enough not to panic. When living in Thay, letting fear get the best of you was often times lethal. If there was one good thing that came from her turmutuous childhood was the ability to keep calm even in the most frightening of situations, even though she was scared out of her wits. Collecting herself she bites her trembling lower lip and says in a calm, reassuring, to the best of her ability as a 9 year old girl with a naturally high pitched and childlike voice, Okay calm down everyone. I do not know what is going on here but my guess is we have been magically transported here for some reason. Either that or this is a dream. But somehow it seems to me that this is a little too real to be a dream. So let us start by introducing ourselves to each other. I am Maria Fireheart.

Belac93
2016-08-24, 10:59 PM
Okay calm down everyone. I do not know what is going on here but my guess is we have been magically transported here for some reason. Either that or this is a dream. But somehow it seems to me that this is a little too real to be a dream. So let us start by introducing ourselves to each other. I am Maria Fireheart.

Rose screams several words not suitable for childish ears when Maria appears. "WHY ARE PEOPLE APPEARING!?" she yells out afterwards. "WHERE ARE WE!? WHY AM I NOT HOME!? ******* ****!"

CleverDragon
2016-08-25, 06:48 AM
Only silence and the constant cool breeze answers Rose's frantic questioning. Her voice, while loud is strangely muted and muffled by the walls of fog surrounding the group. As the last stranger appears, the fog behind them continues to creep forward, completely cutting off the road leading away from the village.

As Rose rushes forward, the darkened village comes into a little more detail. The buildings are tall, often narrow, with steep roofs. They are built of a combination of wood and stone, and no light emanates from behind dark panes of glass. These houses are like silent watchers, the windows dark and unknowable eyes.

As you slowly approach the village, you see that some of the shadowy buildings are shops of various sorts - general goods, food, seamstress, etc. Even the tavern (the Blood of the Vine Inn) is dark and silent.

With your passive Perception, you begin to piece out that something is strange - beyond the obvious fog and creepy dark village and what-not. As you or the others are running/walking, your and their feet do not actually touch the ground. While it feels like you're on the ground, your boots and shoes or bare feet - whatever it is that you and they are wearing - do not make the expected crunch of gravel and dirt beneath your feet. There's the thinnest, narrowest of gaps between the ground and your feet.

Sirithhyando
2016-08-25, 07:13 AM
Khitan looks confused to Eleven "He? Did someone sent you here, is that what you are saying?"
In the face of the older men, Eleven tremble as he talks to her.
Yes, He... well... i dont know who he his and i've never seen him though...
Thinking a moment, Eleven grip harder her rod as her knuckle visibly become wither. When i wake up, my first task is usually to kill one of my brothers... at first i didn't want to, but he tortured them and forced me to watch while they died so i ended up killing them out of pity. Now, he usually surprise me, so i wouldn't be surprised if this was one of his test... and now i'm wondering if you're here for me to kill... are you? If you are... A tear goes down her cheek as she swallow before continuing if you are, trust me, it's better i do it quickly... it would be for your own good. Eleven hold her rod tightly on her chest looking through teary eyes at Khitan waiting for him to ask her to do the deed.

Okay calm down everyone. I do not know what is going on here but my guess is we have been magically transported here for some reason. Either that or this is a dream. But somehow it seems to me that this is a little too real to be a dream. So let us start by introducing ourselves to each other. I am Maria Fireheart.
Eleven look at the younger girl while she's talking Who would send us here and why? My master have shown to be able, but it seem stranger than usual.
Thinking a moment Since you ask, my name is Eleven.

Rose screams several words not suitable for childish ears when Maria appears. "WHY ARE PEOPLE APPEARING!?" she yells out afterwards. "WHERE ARE WE!? WHY AM I NOT HOME!? ******* ****!"
Eleven only keeps silent, trying to recollect her thoughts on the event.

Belac93
2016-08-25, 10:27 AM
Rose wanders forward, trying to find some way out of this place. She keeps close to the rest of the group, making sure that she doesn't leave them behind, or that they don't leave her behind.

[roll0]

onlie2005
2016-08-26, 11:18 PM
Maria tried to keep her cool in spite of her frazzled emotions. She was inwardly scared out of her wits. This place gave her the creeps. Still she moved forward cautiously, ready for trouble. She draws one of her daggers just in case.

Why don't we head to that tavern over there?

Azktor
2016-08-29, 02:19 PM
Khitan gets really surprised by Maria appearance "My name is Khitan Lockhart, nice to meet you miss Fireheart. Were you traveling alone?" Khitan ask these with a hint of concern about Maria and her age and the fact that she is alone, but not in a condescending way.

Khitan thinks "...this girl is problem..." he says trying to be polited, as he was taught by his masters "I don't want to say what you should do, because I don't even know you, but we are in the middle of who-know-where, and there might be bandits and monster lurking around. And my master..." Khitan makes a small and sad silence for a second "...used to tell me histories about the darkest places that he traveled when he was younger and how it was better if you find the monsters instead of them finding you."

In the face of the older men, Eleven tremble as he talks to her.
Yes, He... well... i dont know who he his and i've never seen him though...
Thinking a moment, Eleven grip harder her rod as her knuckle visibly become wither. When i wake up, my first task is usually to kill one of my brothers... at first i didn't want to, but he tortured them and forced me to watch while they died so i ended up killing them out of pity. Now, he usually surprise me, so i wouldn't be surprised if this was one of his test... and now i'm wondering if you're here for me to kill... are you? If you are... A tear goes down her cheek as she swallow before continuing if you are, trust me, it's better i do it quickly... it would be for your own good. Eleven hold her rod tightly on her chest looking through teary eyes at Khitan waiting for him to ask her to do the deed.

Eleven look at the younger girl while she's talking Who would send us here and why? My master have shown to be able, but it seem stranger than usual.
Thinking a moment Since you ask, my name is Eleven.
Khitan stare Eleven in silence for longer than usually people would stare someone before reppling, trying to find the right words, he end saying "That is...I don't even know that were people like this in the world. The only thing I can garantee you, is that I'm not here for you to kill me, no one send me, I'm as lost as you are here." Khitan is being completely honest "Also, maybe, this is the chance for you to finally get away from this monstruous person. At least, that is what I would do..." looks like Khitan is talking of self experience in this matter, despite his young age.

Maria tried to keep her cool in spite of her frazzled emotions. She was inwardly scared out of her wits. This place gave her the creeps. Still she moved forward cautiously, ready for trouble. She draws one of her daggers just in case.

Why don't we head to that tavern over there?
"Well...we should proceed cautiously, but this looks like as good of a place to start as any." Despite being scared about entering this strange Tavern, Khitan goes first, he could not live with himself letting Maria go first into the unknow and possible dangerous place like this.

onlie2005
2016-08-29, 03:49 PM
Maria nods to Khitan politely answering his introduction and at the same time his question that she is indeed travelling alone. She has no one in her life anymore and the company she currently keeps is her only companionship and safety. She heads to the tavern but keeps close to the group. If anything she always has her back and front covered.

Sirithhyando
2016-08-29, 06:43 PM
Wanting to believe that those people with her might not have anything to do with him, she gets closer to Khitan and grab a fold of his blouse, staying close to him and watching the others, trying to find how their presence fit in all this. Well... i don't think i can get away from him very long... i'll believe you for now, and if the time come where he decide that you must be killed, i'll be sure it's made swiftly so you dont suffer from his hands.

smashbro
2016-09-07, 08:45 PM
The door to the tavern seems tattered; it creaks as you push it inward creating the only sound in the town.

The creaking seems to call out to the empty town, begging for something to reply. Yet no light appears in any of the houses and only the moon provides ambiance for this new town.

Even as the door opens, no one comes from within the tavern to greet you. Now that the door has stopped swinging you once again feel the silence of the dark tavern. You can make out the shapes of tables and chairs inside, but no one sitting in them.

(Let me know if you guys actually enter, this post assumes you are still standing outside as the door opens.)

Belac93
2016-09-07, 09:18 PM
Rose enters, holding her torch as high as she can. "So none of you know what this place is?"

Sirithhyando
2016-09-08, 11:33 AM
Shivering from the eerie scene, Eleven follows until they get to the tavern. Almost afraid to break the heavy silence, she jumps back a step falling into a sitting position when Rose spoke.
While going back on her feet slowly I have no idea where we are or what this place is.

onlie2005
2016-09-11, 06:04 PM
Maria shakes her head and says, I was supposed to be on the ocean floating in a lifeboat.

smashbro
2016-09-12, 08:20 PM
The inside of the tavern is barren. A thick layer of dust covers all of the surfaces - the tables and chairs have been undisturbed for years. There are maybe a half dozen bottles scattered in the room, all of which are empty, with not a drop of liquid left.

A door to the back room is open, with the familiar fog just past the door frame. The fog swirls and blocks any view of the room. Looking up the stairs, you see a similar wall of fog at the top of the stairwell. This portion of the fog does not seem to be advancing at the moment, but is as uninviting as the fog from outdoors.

Sirithhyando
2016-09-13, 06:44 AM
Eleven let go of her hold and takes a step in the building. I've never heard of a place like this... She look back to the group Am I the only one who get the feeling we're being herded?

Belac93
2016-09-13, 07:28 PM
Rose fires an experimental bolt of flame into the fog, trying to see if she can hear it hit something on the other side.

onlie2005
2016-09-13, 11:37 PM
Maria is more cautious and less enthusiastic in exploring the mists. And for all she knew the fire bolt could reflect back at them. So she readies herself to duck as the spell is cast. It is clear that for someone her age, Maria was very cautious when it came to dealing with unknowns. Gods know she had to be when she was back in Thay.

smashbro
2016-09-14, 05:19 PM
The fire produces a muted light in the fog, fading as the bolt travels deeper and deeper. As the fire fades, you look expectantly around the light but it fails to illuminate any objects that you would expect in the room beyond.

The light shrinks as it gains distance and eventually disappears - far past where you would expect the wall of the inn.

onlie2005
2016-09-17, 10:44 PM
Maria was relieved that the spell did not backfire or rebound. She was worried though that they were being hemmed in. She did not want to go into the fog for fear of what it would do to her. So she looks around for any bartender or even patrons.

Belac93
2016-09-17, 10:48 PM
Rose looks to see if there is any trapdoors, or stairs up.

"It's way too ******* quiet here." She mutters to herself. "The ******* fog, and these ******* children. ****." She sighs, hanging her head. "I'm gonna be with them for a while, aren't I?"

Looking for anything that could be considered remotely interesting.

CleverDragon
2016-09-18, 11:48 PM
Off to Rose's left, she can see a set of old, well-worn wooden stairs leading up to the second floor of the building, but the fog is thicker there and pulses as if breathing, waiting expectantly. She casts her gaze around the rest of the room and sees the other door at the back of the room - the one through which she launched the fiery bolt - also holds a similar wall of slowly pulsing, rolling fog.

The tables nearest her are all wooden. All worn. All drink stained. All have cuts and etches as from patrons idly carving at the wood. But it shocks Rose to think that there might be anyone that would want to go to this dead, quiet tavern. All liveliness and mirth and warmth have been completely leeched from it. And in its place is cold and quietude and...expectation. A quiet anticipation.

She slowly and carefully makes her way to the bar, her footsteps creaking as they land upon the stained wooden floor. The creaks seem loud and brash in the tense silence of the room.

Behind the bar, she sees more empty or mostly-empty bottles, many of which the labels have long fell off - if they ever had any in the first place. While she's unable to locate any trap doors, a heavy iron rod with a bulging metal end lays in wait along one of the shelves at the center of the bar - probably a peacekeeping device left over from the tavern's rowdier days. Or...perhaps it serves as the bartender's protection from other things?

Who's to say - the fog certainly doesn't answer.

The heavy iron rod is a heavy mace, FYI.

onlie2005
2016-09-21, 12:58 AM
Maria decides to take action. She is getting impatient and somewhat frustrated. So she decides to do something drastic. Taking her rope out of her backpack, she ties it around her waist and offers the other end to someone else.

Um guys, I am going to pass through that fog in that doorway there. Maybe with one of you holding this end you could pull me back before I get into trouble?

Sirithhyando
2016-09-23, 06:27 AM
Go for it Maria, i'll hold you.

Azktor
2016-09-26, 09:06 PM
Khitan

Khitan looks around nervous and end saying "This just sound like unecessary risk lady Firehearth, I agree that we must search more thus tavern, but instead of sending someone alone maybe we could just turn on some torches and go everybody together. Because if there is anything in the fog maybe you don't have enough time to defend yourself, I don't want to see anyone getting hurt..." you notice a mix of concern and kindness in Khitan voice. He looks around to see if anyone is agreeing with him about not seending the young child alone into the fog.