PDA

View Full Version : Expecto Webcomic-um! (Wands & Wizardry, a Screencap Webcomic)

miner3203
2016-08-21, 09:44 PM
So I've been writing Wands & Wizardry, a screencap webcomic in the vein of Darths & Droids and DM of the Rings, and I just now posted the 100th strip and though it would be a good point to share my work with the Playground. Check it out here (https://www.wandsandwizardry.net).

I'd appreciate any feedback you have, positive, negative, or otherwise. Or if you want to just drop in and mention that you're reading, I'd love that too. I hope you enjoy!

Thanks,
miner3023

Fri
2016-08-21, 10:56 PM
It's actually pretty good (or at least in my taste) for a screencap webcomic. The only thing that throw me up at the beginning is you gave the mc's Jim as name, which is character in Darths and Droids as well :smallbiggrin:

The Glyphstone
2016-08-22, 10:33 AM
Yeah, that threw me off at first, but I'm enjoying it too.

1) What update schedule do you use?

2) What is Harry's class, I seemed to have missed that? The other two are Spellgifter and Strategomancer.

Hurkyl
2016-08-22, 04:46 PM
I must say, I do enjoy the sense of humor. (Make a dodge check. Now make one in real life)

Also, I'm reminded of just how good 11 year old Emma Watson's facial expressions are.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-08-22, 05:16 PM
Awesome stuff! The jokes are funny, characterisation simple but solid and I like how the story is shaping out. There's obviously a lot of care put into getting the screencaps just right, so props for that too.

Website could use a make-over, though :smalltongue:

I'll second the question.

miner3203
2016-08-22, 09:14 PM
It's actually pretty good (or at least in my taste) for a screencap webcomic. The only thing that throw me up at the beginning is you gave the mc's Jim as name, which is character in Darths and Droids as well :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, that threw me off at first, but I'm enjoying it too.

2) What is Harry's class, I seemed to have missed that? The other two are Spellgifter and Strategomancer.

The names are references to the characters' middle names (Jim is short for James, Jane is an anagram of Jean, Bill is the first syllable of Bilius).

Harry's class is Warmage.

I must say, I do enjoy the sense of humor. (Make a dodge check. Now make one in real life)

Also, I'm reminded of just how good 11 year old Emma Watson's facial expressions are.

Thanks! :smallsmile: And yeah, I didn't realize how great some of the expressions are before I started taking still frames from the movie...

Awesome stuff! The jokes are funny, characterisation simple but solid and I like how the story is shaping out. There's obviously a lot of care put into getting the screencaps just right, so props for that too.

Website could use a make-over, though :smalltongue:

I'll second the question.

I try to upload a comic or two every couple days, but normally I just have a huge block of time on one day and end up uploading a whole bunch at once (usually on a weekend). Sorry I can't be more consistent, but...such is life.

Google sites is a little cumbersome, yeah, but I started with it a few years back and never really had the motivation (or money) to move it over to something more professional-looking.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-08-23, 08:30 AM

Warmage, it seems. (https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0060)

Kantaki
2016-09-09, 12:11 PM
Huh, interesting take on the fight with Quirrel and Voldi’s the face on the back on his head.

:smallbiggrin:And Harry throwing Ron before the Queen is great. Saying out loud that sacrificing himself is the easiest way to win wasn't the best idea there.

DeadpanSal
2016-09-10, 06:54 AM
I read some of this a long time ago. It's good to see that the comic is finishing the first movie.

What do you use to make the pages?

Kantaki
2016-09-12, 03:21 PM
Using a mind-control spell to win the housecup is priceless.
The only problem I see is that it can't be cast again until the next housecup- at least according to my interpretation of once a year that might be a bit ridiculous now that I think about it. While such a limitation sounds interesting actually keeping track of time like that would be unpractical. Not to mention that it would make the spell somewhat useless for this campaign.
On the other hand it could be funny if it comes up.

Murk
2016-09-14, 11:21 AM
I started reading this, and so far, I like it! It's clean and easy to follow.

I do have some dire news for you, though (I'm not sure if you know). Mid-reading, I accidentally closed the tab. Instead of coming back here for your link, I tried google. "Wands & Wizardry webcomic" got me to a tv-trope page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/WizardsAndWands) - a webcomic about wands, wizards, harry potter screencaps in a D&D game, sure, but not yours! Seems you've got competition.
(I like yours better.)

DeadpanSal
2016-09-14, 12:29 PM
Wait, that one was the one I read. I remember not liking it and came to this feeling better about it. Yours is better and makes more sense than some of the stuff in there. I think your take on it has more potential, but don't feel bad. That one started in 2011 and went the way of just about every last one of these. Just continuing to publish a Campaign Comic at this time is a huge deal. If you keep at it, your comic will definitely stand out over the other one because I think you have more setups and a better throughline.

You could probably change your format a bit though. The font isn't great and your text bubbles are never centered, which takes up more real estate and requires bigger bubbles that could really be pared down. And I'd make the tails less wide and bring them away from the mouths.

miner3203
2016-09-15, 12:14 AM
I read some of this a long time ago. It's good to see that the comic is finishing the first movie.

What do you use to make the pages?

I'm using MS PowerPoint, which is mostly due to my unfamiliarity with Paint and the fact that I can't figure out how to edit elements after I've unselected them in that program. And the fact that I don't own Photoshop.

Using a mind-control spell to win the housecup is priceless.
The only problem I see is that it can't be cast again until the next housecup- at least according to my interpretation of once a year that might be a bit ridiculous now that I think about it. While such a limitation sounds interesting actually keeping track of time like that would be unpractical. Not to mention that it would make the spell somewhat useless for this campaign.
On the other hand it could be funny if it comes up.

Oh, don't worry...it will... *cackles evilly*

I started reading this, and so far, I like it! It's clean and easy to follow.

I do have some dire news for you, though (I'm not sure if you know). Mid-reading, I accidentally closed the tab. Instead of coming back here for your link, I tried google. "Wands & Wizardry webcomic" got me to a tv-trope page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/WizardsAndWands) - a webcomic about wands, wizards, harry potter screencaps in a D&D game, sure, but not yours! Seems you've got competition.
(I like yours better.)

Hm--I did not know that. Oh well; I'll just continue with my own (and not read theirs, so that my ideas stay original). Glad to hear that you like it!

Wait, that one was the one I read. I remember not liking it and came to this feeling better about it. Yours is better and makes more sense than some of the stuff in there. I think your take on it has more potential, but don't feel bad. That one started in 2011 and went the way of just about every last one of these. Just continuing to publish a Campaign Comic at this time is a huge deal. If you keep at it, your comic will definitely stand out over the other one because I think you have more setups and a better throughline.

You could probably change your format a bit though. The font isn't great and your text bubbles are never centered, which takes up more real estate and requires bigger bubbles that could really be pared down. And I'd make the tails less wide and bring them away from the mouths.

Thanks for the kind words! The speech bubbles are a problem, yeah, but it's a side effect of using PowerPoint--their bubbles aren't very versatile, and require that format. I was planning on messing with the font since about #60, but my inner symmetry-obsession (I don't think it's really OCD, but it feels like it sometimes) kept telling me to wait until after Part 1, so it would all look the same...although once I start Part 2 (hopefully within a few days!) I'll have gotten around to it.

Again, thanks for all the interest and positive commentary! I really appreciate it!

miner3203
2016-09-18, 11:30 PM
Some updates: first of all, the first comic of Part 2 is up! It's all I got to this weekend, but it'll have to do for now.

1. I decided not to mess with the font--I like the current one, and can't find any others that particularly catch my eye. And resizing it wouldn't help much anyway.

2. I figured out how to reduce the speech bubble size! (Also, I feel kind of dumb for not figuring this out earlier.) But anyway, the point is: Part 2 will commence with smaller speech bubbles. And I will be very much relieved, since now I have less to worry about in terms of covering up important parts of the screencaps.

That's it for now! Happy reading!

Ibrinar
2016-09-19, 06:21 AM
Maybe it is explained after the point I am at but if both Snaps and Dumbledore are fully aware he is the one after the stone why are they letting him stay at the school mostly undisturbed?

DeadpanSal
2016-09-19, 09:35 AM
I still haven't read far enough through the first year, but the new layout for the second year looks far better. Congrats, it's pretty spiffy. And you hit a major milestone for your comic (while the previous version Murk posted only went to the Sorting Hat scene and only did one page in 5 years)! So keep it up.

miner3203
2016-10-04, 06:20 PM
Maybe it is explained after the point I am at but if both Snaps and Dumbledore are fully aware he is the one after the stone why are they letting him stay at the school mostly undisturbed?

Well, I'm sure Snape is trying the hardest he can to get Quirrell removed, but he's just a professor--he doesn't have the power to do that directly. And as for Dumbledore...perhaps he has ulterior motives. *evil cackle*.

Kantaki
2016-10-08, 01:22 PM
Of course this version's Harry ends up in Knockturn Alley on purpose.
:smallsigh:He is going to end up as the big bad, isn't he?:smallbiggrin:

miner3203
2016-10-16, 08:15 PM
Of course this version's Harry ends up in Knockturn Alley on purpose.
:smallsigh:He is going to end up as the big bad, isn't he?:smallbiggrin:

I will neither confirm nor deny this statement. You'll just have to wait and see... :smalltongue:

Kantaki
2016-10-18, 10:15 AM
I will neither confirm nor deny this statement. You'll just have to wait and see... :smalltongue:

I’ll take that as a yes.:smalltongue:

New comic.

Huh. The map is the idea of Harry’s player?
That's... surprising. Okay, it would be awesome for sneaking quests, but I would have expected him to only have stuff on that list that gives him direct power.
After all he picked up swordfighting instead of improving his fortitude.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if the idea is to use it to blast people from a safe position. I mean it could be argued that he can „see” his target when he uses the map.

miner3203
2016-10-18, 10:57 PM
New comic.

Huh. The map is the idea of Harry’s player?
That's... surprising. Okay, it would be awesome for sneaking quests, but I would have expected him to only have stuff on that list that gives him direct power.
After all he picked up swordfighting instead of improving his fortitude.

On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if the idea is to use it to blast people from a safe position. I mean it could be argued that he can „see” his target when he uses the map.

Despite being a diehard min-maxer, Harry's player is (at least in my head) also attracted to the things that just sound cool to have (he took an extra flaw to gain an owl familiar that he never uses, after all). He probably has direct-power upgrades on his list, but the GM doesn't choose to question them because he knows exactly why Harry wants them.

In other news, uploading four more comics tonight--they should be up in half an hour or so. I'm trying out some new out-of-game plot ideas; would you guys mind letting me know what you think? (Don't worry, it's not random or on a whim--I know exactly where I'm planning to take this particular plotline.) Any opinions are welcome!

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-10-19, 05:40 AM
In other news, uploading four more comics tonight--they should be up in half an hour or so. I'm trying out some new out-of-game plot ideas; would you guys mind letting me know what you think? (Don't worry, it's not random or on a whim--I know exactly where I'm planning to take this particular plotline.) Any opinions are welcome!

Clearing the path for the canonical Hermione/Ron pairing or are we going someplace else on the shipping charts? :smallbiggrin: Either way I'm fine with parallel OOC plotlines. It's a staple of screencap comics and I think pretty necessary to flesh out the players as characters beyond the role-playing (or lack thereof).

Kantaki
2016-10-22, 04:47 PM

Giving the players some out of game plot is fine.
Especially since this one seems like it will be fun.
:smallamused:Yay, Drama.:smallamused:

miner3203
2016-10-25, 12:19 AM
Clearing the path for the canonical Hermione/Ron pairing or are we going someplace else on the shipping charts? :smallbiggrin:

Well...at the risk of dropping potentially false hints, I'm not really a fan of Hermione/Ron myself (I identify with Hermione the most out of the Golden Trio, and I just couldn't see myself marrying someone like Ron--no offense intended to the Ron-like people out there; that type just isn't for me.) I will also say, however, that oftentimes writers will put aside personal opinions in favor of a well-developed plotline and character arcs. I'm not trying to hint at anything here, just expressing my opinion on a canon pairing.

Especially since this one seems like it will be fun.
:smallamused:Yay, Drama.:smallamused:

I...cannot tell whether or not this is meant to be sarcastic...

Kantaki
2016-10-27, 03:32 PM
I...cannot tell whether or not this is meant to be sarcastic...

No, no sarcasm. Evil:smallamused:

keybounce
2016-11-01, 11:07 PM
None of the comics are showing up for me; just a "dead image" placeholder.

DeadpanSal
2016-11-02, 10:31 PM
All the pages I tried seem to work. Hopefully it was just a temporary thing.

Just finished the first arc. Really solid progression. I think this is only going to get better. Jim's occasional dips into roleplaying are well used and make me think you have some good stuff planned out for the future. Keep it up!

miner3203
2016-11-17, 10:06 PM
None of the comics are showing up for me; just a "dead image" placeholder.

All the pages I tried seem to work. Hopefully it was just a temporary thing.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on--is it fixed now, or should I look into it some more?

Just finished the first arc. Really solid progression. I think this is only going to get better. Jim's occasional dips into roleplaying are well used and make me think you have some good stuff planned out for the future. Keep it up!

Thanks! Much appreciated! :)

keybounce
2016-11-19, 01:32 AM
Just checked again tonight. No images.

Hmm ... let me check something ...

Nope. Privacy Badger is deactivated, and NoScript reports no scripts. uBlock reports 0 blocked.

miner3203
2016-11-20, 11:35 PM
Okay, I've messed with the image hosting a bit--if that doesn't fix it, I don't know what it might be.

Out of curiosity, what browser are you using? It sounds like Chrome (since you're running extensions), but Chrome (to the best of my knowledge) does work.

SlyGuyMcFly
2016-11-21, 03:29 AM
Just popping in to say I loved the latest comics and to confirm that the site is working a-OK for me, both on Chrome and Firefox.

archon_huskie
2016-11-23, 07:10 AM
I just did an archive binge. Great job creating an enjoyable variation on the familiar story.

Love how you are what ages are the players? high school aged, college?

miner3203
2016-11-25, 06:02 PM
Just popping in to say I loved the latest comics and to confirm that the site is working a-OK for me, both on Chrome and Firefox.

Awesome! Thaks for the feedback, both technical and literary. (I don't think "literary" applies in this case. Just insert whatever adjective means "literary" but applies to webcomics. Because I have absolutely no idea.)

I just did an archive binge. Great job creating an enjoyable variation on the familiar story.

Love how you are what ages are the players? high school aged, college?

Wow, an archive binge. I'm not sure if I could do that in one sitting, and I'm the one writing this thing...lol. Glad you liked it!

Looks like you have an unfinished thought in that second line there... :smalltongue: But if I understood your question correctly--I'm operating under the assumption that they're college-aged, but it could also work if they're highschoolers. If one of them seems to click more with you, then just go with that--you're the reader, after all.

DeadpanSal
2016-11-25, 11:40 PM
It gets way funnier if you think they're all seniors in their golden years living in a retirement home.

Glad to see this is still going!

keybounce
2016-11-29, 07:00 PM
Okay, I've messed with the image hosting a bit--if that doesn't fix it, I don't know what it might be.

Out of curiosity, what browser are you using? It sounds like Chrome (since you're running extensions), but Chrome (to the best of my knowledge) does work.

I'm using Firefox ESR, 45.5.0 (current/up to date).

So, I checked the HTML. The images are tagged with "&export=download"; that seems to want to export them as a downloadable image, rather than a displayable image. If I remove that, I can see the image itself.

But, if I attempt to view the webpage with that bit removed, then I only see the left side of the comic pages, rather than the whole comic (my screen is 1024 pixels wide ,and the scrollbar takes up some of that.)

Now then: Page 97 of the campaign packet? How much over-developement did this GM do?

For that matter, what page of HP and the SS was Hogwarts mentioned on?

miner3203
2016-12-01, 10:46 PM
It gets way funnier if you think they're all seniors in their golden years living in a retirement home.

Glad to see this is still going!

You, my friend, have just caused me to attempt to prove myself wrong and attempt an archive binge...unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I figured that my time would be better spent actually writing new comics. But imagining it in those kinds of voices made it so much more funny...

I'm using Firefox ESR, 45.5.0 (current/up to date).

So, I checked the HTML. The images are tagged with "&export=download"; that seems to want to export them as a downloadable image, rather than a displayable image. If I remove that, I can see the image itself.

But, if I attempt to view the webpage with that bit removed, then I only see the left side of the comic pages, rather than the whole comic (my screen is 1024 pixels wide ,and the scrollbar takes up some of that.)

Now then: Page 97 of the campaign packet? How much over-developement did this GM do?

For that matter, what page of HP and the SS was Hogwarts mentioned on?

Hmm. I have no idea why that might have been the problem, but since you appear to have mostly fixed it, I'll just smile and act like I know what I'm doing. :smallamused:

Oh, you'll find that over-development is something this GM is very fond of... :smallwink:

Well, now that you mention it, my copy first references Hogwarts on page 49 ("You'll know all about Hogwarts, of course" -Hagrid, minus the accent-type). Would've been cool if I'd thought to make them coincide, but alas, I didn't think of it in time.

Glad to see that people are still enjoying this, though! As always, thank you all!

keybounce
2016-12-04, 02:01 PM
... and I was hoping that going to the website now, that "&export=download" would be gone from the page so I could see it. Nope.

... I know how to use stylish to override CSS. I don't know how to use grease monkey to re-write a page.

DeadpanSal
2016-12-04, 05:46 PM
Hmm. I suspect the nargles are behind it.

Kantaki
2016-12-05, 03:31 PM
Talking to time-travellers is fun. You never know if they already did your last interaction. Or who started that cycle of vengeance, you or they.:smallamused:

Anteros
2016-12-05, 04:46 PM
I'm planning on giving this a read-through as soon as my finals are over this Wednesday. It looks interesting so far.

miner3203
2016-12-10, 02:11 AM
Hmm. I suspect the nargles are behind it.

Nargles? Oh, just you wait... *evil grin*

I'm planning on giving this a read-through as soon as my finals are over this Wednesday. It looks interesting so far.

Ooh, another reader! Hope you like it! :smallsmile:

DeadpanSal
2016-12-20, 10:17 AM
The best time I ever used a spell to upset the DM was when we were trying to win back a brainwashed friend of ours - our former babysitter who was a warforged samurai/warlock gestalt badass... it was a complicated story. Anyway, he was sworn to protect us, then lost his body to a demon, and tried to kill us and we were like enemies, I think he unfriended us on Facebook, and then we clashed a lot and he got away...

Anyway, the DM gives us one more shot before he gets away after we've made a bunch of appeals and diplomacy checks to coerce him to prevail against whatever was controlling him and I stroll up with a spell. "What do you cast?" "Awaken Sin."

You could hear the rest of the arc being dropped.

...Anyway, great spell selection, Jim.

keybounce
2016-12-21, 08:53 PM
Alright: Chocolate infused bacon? ...

keybounce
2016-12-21, 09:46 PM
So, even in this comic, Hermione is a wall-o-text person.

And frankly, that doesn't sound like a big change in the plot. You had pro muggle vs anti muggle factions in the Wizengamot in the official books; Dumbledore comments on this more than once. Adding that Voldemort's rise to power is noticeable, and he isn't hiding in the shadow but is actively restoring his power base? It's a change, but all it does is move things from Malfoy's faction to Voldemort's faction.

But if it turns out that there are 6 eternity stones, one for each aspect of eternity, such as persistence, longevity, stability, order, continuity, and (ahem) magic, and each of the PC's/major NPC's is going to be matched to one of them ... (what, you don't think Hermione is "magic"? Harry could be persistence, watch him over all 7 books; Nevil Longbottom could easily be order ... I better stop before I give away good ideas.)

---

Hermione not going into RavenClaw? You're not the first person to notice this -- that was kinda the big thing in HP:MoR. I think the big reason was that on the train, when trying to find (I'm going from memory here) someone's lost ... something, the Ravenclaw Prefect was exceptionally unkind/unhelpful. This resulted in the whole group being turned off from Ravenclaw, and they are left with Gryffindor.

keybounce
2016-12-22, 04:28 PM
First plot twist: Draco wants to make sure the orb gets back to Neville, and Harry wants to take it for his own use.

Restore honor to Slytherin? Rational Draco would be proud.

keybounce
2016-12-23, 11:48 PM
On page 62, is the "Facepalm" supposed to be from the GM? It's in a player bubble, but not attached to any player.

keybounce
2016-12-24, 11:35 PM
... and I was hoping that going to the website now, that "&export=download" would be gone from the page so I could see it. Nope.

... I know how to use stylish to override CSS. I don't know how to use grease monkey to re-write a page.

So in case anyone else out there is running into this problem, here's the solution.

First, a restatement of the problem: My screen is 1024 pixels wide. Between the menu on the left, and something in the HTML of the page, the far right of the image is clipped, and I only see about 2/3rds of the comic page. I cannot actually scroll left/right; the page is clipped to what can be shown.

The web pages use tables to lay out the left and right side. Ideally, I would have some way to re-write this one row, two column table as a one column, two row table instead. But I can't do that. (lack of knowledge on my part).

If I shrink/zoom twice, then I can see both the menu and the entire comic image. But I want to have the comic image a little bigger than that.

The solution is to use Stylish to make a CSS override for the table that eliminates the menu; this lets me get by with a shrink/zoon once, and I can see the whole comic.

Here's the CSS.

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document url-prefix("https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/") {
td#sites-chrome-sidebar-left.sites-layout-sidebar-left.initial
{
display: none;
}
}

keybounce
2016-12-24, 11:41 PM
Page 66: Voice activated chess: In a real sense, we have that now. The "boards" are computer displays, and the voice commands are normal voice recognition software trained to understand chess notation.

Heck, Wizards Chess can even be played out on those same screens, with animations of one piece destroying another. Even Star Wars had that.

Page 67: Geez, this is a PC's action? So we have a PC that took massive bonuses to flight skill, massive points in being super rich, and now spends some of that richness to come up with a magic item that is so far out of line from what the other players have?

... And, did something similar to get a super-fast broom.
... And, will do something similar to get an ultimate map.
... And, will ... lets see, communications mirror, magic sword ... probably spend his unspent XP points on anti-dementors at the last moment, and ... locate ancient artifacts to find those last few horcruxes at the end?

When you put it this way, Harry really does seem unreasonably overpowered compared to everyone else.

Page 70: Ahh, Snape / Quirrell. Unicorn blood. And Quirrell knows about the kids, and apparently Snape was trying to keep the kids out of the way. So what was Snape keeping the kids away from?

(Snape, snape. Serverus snape.)

Page 73: Ohh, is this a "Dark Side" mirror? Your Deepest desires ... and how to get them. Mwa-ha-ha ...

(StrategoMaster, SpellGiver, and what was Harry's class again?)

Page 82, panel 4, a nice mix of in-and-out-of character speech :-). I like how you turned this around from punishment to PC excessiveness.

Page 87. "Counterspell". Between this, and watching V over at OOTS, I clearly need to rethink how I make mage builds in the future.

Page 88: Well, if you are a Summoner, and your build is all about summoning what you need in any given situation, then you probably don't have a fireball. So you summon a 5th level wizard to cast it for you.

That's ... probably really pushing the limits of things :-).

keybounce
2016-12-27, 02:17 PM
Page 129: Ohh, Lucius is a vampire ... with daylight immunity, right? :-)
(min-max the bad guys, to deal with min-max'd players)

Page 158: The down-arrow from panel one should be coming from panel 2.

Page 159: ... umm, where is page 159?

keybounce
2016-12-27, 02:26 PM
Hold on: A "what-if" Harry is the big bad? With a map of Hogwarts?

Movie screencaps. Hmm ...

So at movie 7, Harry would be scouring the land for hidden items of power, and then goes to the castle for his base. Voldemort attempts to attack, to overthrow the evil Harry, and is defeated. Harry destroys Voldemort's wand, so that no one will have the power to challenge him.

... The sad thing? I've seen players that would accumulate power like this.

I think that would be a workable meta-plot. Heck, I *like* it.

Kantaki
2016-12-27, 02:37 PM
Why is the GM so surprised they discuss the thing that chases them while they run away?
Seems pretty normal to me*.
Is there a rule against talking while walking?

And no GM, you can't get any surprises- not if you play the rules.
A good idea would be to homebrew a monster with a similar „makes Arachnids run**” tell and just pretend the players worked it out...
Ohhh...:smallamused:

*Okay, discussing it in character, maybe rolling whatever knowledgeskill applies there.
Checking the books? Not so much.

**Speaking of spiders, in my experience seeking out spider colonies to ask them for information never ends well. In four out of four cases they decide you make a good meal.

DeadpanSal
2016-12-28, 06:48 PM
Wow, this DM has a brutal table.

I hope he learns to hit them with a bait and switch someday. Because Jim really deserves to be wrong on something he's banking on after ruining two plotlines.

miner3203
2017-01-01, 08:41 PM
Wow, I leave for a two-week vacation and come back to all this...thanks to everyone for your feedback! I'm not gonna respond to all of the pieces of feedback individually, but I've read them all and I am striving to make this comic as good as it can possibly be. I probably won't be incorporating plot suggestions--I already have most of the plot planned out, there are just some minor things that need solidifying--but keep posting them and some of you may be able to say "Ha! Called it!" at some point in the future. Hope you guys are enjoying everything :).

keybounce
2017-01-05, 10:15 PM
So where was the entrance to the chamber of secrets before it was moved into the girls bathroom just now?

I love how Hermione is regarded as being in character when she reread the history book rather than metagaming

miner3203
2017-01-09, 12:05 AM
So where was the entrance to the chamber of secrets before it was moved into the girls bathroom just now?

Can't tell you--it's a secret. :smalltongue:

dadada
2017-01-22, 03:41 PM
love the comic,however it could use some more players,like draco maybe.

DeadpanSal
2017-01-27, 09:31 AM
Wondering about where this comic is going with Draco and Snape are my favorite parts. Watching the canon changes are really fascinating and pretty clever. Especially Lockhart!

keybounce
2017-01-27, 11:58 PM
So why do so many people hate monopoly?

I'm not saying it's a great game. But it's a lot better than a lot of people seem to think. Just need a 5 player group, or a decent variant.

(2 or 3 players, someone gets a natural. 4 players, even if no one gets a natural, chances are the trading is dull. 5 players? No one gets a natural monopoly, and 4 people will make trade pairs, so someone is left out ... no one wants to be the last, so trading is fast and opportunistic.)

The Glyphstone
2017-01-28, 09:15 PM
So why do so many people hate monopoly?

I'm not saying it's a great game. But it's a lot better than a lot of people seem to think. Just need a 5 player group, or a decent variant.

(2 or 3 players, someone gets a natural. 4 players, even if no one gets a natural, chances are the trading is dull. 5 players? No one gets a natural monopoly, and 4 people will make trade pairs, so someone is left out ... no one wants to be the last, so trading is fast and opportunistic.)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?509414-Why-can-t-people-play-Monopoly-by-the-actual-rules

Was a big involved discussion about exactly that in this thread, should read through it there.

Hurkyl
2017-01-29, 02:21 AM
... and furthermore, Monopoly has become so iconic that people think it exemplifies the past time of board gaming. I've even heard complaints about this get to the point where Monopoly is blamed for ruining the board game industry in the U.S..

miner3203
2017-01-29, 09:55 PM
Personally, I find it rather fun, but I'm also really comfortable with the people I play it with, and we probably use a bunch of houserules as well (none of us actually have a copy of the instructions, so we're not certain on some of the fine points). The W&W GM, however...

keybounce
2017-01-29, 11:26 PM
You actually can make the argument that monopoly destroyed the boardgame industry in the United States. Less because of the game itself, and more because people teach it (often wrong) rather than anything else.

Monopoly does have a couple of serious design flaws; leader run away, random number God, does not force an ending (I have seen games where one person gets the four railroads and two utilities, while no other person has a monopoly; this results in everyone else's money staying about the same, while the railroad/utility person has more money than they know what to do with. Even a trade wouldn't've solved this, as no one else had the money to start making houses), eliminated people are bored with nothing to do, scaling across the number of players (more people results in more total money in the game resulting in the properties having a higher value because there's more money), etc.

But consider: even chess had to have some rule changes over the years. Heck, Go had a recent change to its scoring system.

I will go read that other thread now. Thank you.

keybounce
2017-01-30, 07:41 PM
Back on topic:

I like this Hermione. It's like the actor is a perfect match for the character.

I can't really see Harry -- even now -- as a munchkin/loot gobbler. I mean, it's not like he gets ... three different artifacts, a massive bank account, big prizes along the way, ... OK, yea, I guess he really is a loot guy. He just seemed so "I don't care" in the movies, you don't realize just how much he has.

miner3203
2017-02-02, 08:21 PM
I mean, it's not like he gets ... three different artifacts, a massive bank account, big prizes along the way, ... OK, yea, I guess he really is a loot guy. He just seemed so "I don't care" in the movies, you don't realize just how much he has.

And, depending on how you construe it: an enchanted sword, a magical golden ball-with-wings, and the three Hallows.

keybounce
2017-02-03, 01:55 PM
By three artifacts, I was thinking of the Hallows. What does he do?

Drops one on the floor of the forest.
Buries one in a tomb (NB: I like the movie's break it in half better, but the movie forgot to repair his old wand -- actually left him without a wand, silly film).
And ... what did he do with the cloak in the stories? I'm pretty sure he has it after the end of year 7, I don't recall if he gave it to his son for his adventures or not, and ... well, I guess it's fanfic sillyness between now and then :-)

The gold-ball-with-wings: Well, in fairness, there's one of those each game.
The Sword: Seems to be something that moves around from Gryffindor to Gryffindor. Or maybe it's something that Neville (the other chosen one) was the one to pull it out of the hat.

How did Voldemort mark Neville, and make him his equal? By teaching him to fight, so that he stood up to Voldemort and faced him. Only got the snake, but still...

Kantaki
2017-02-03, 07:11 PM
Of course Harry wants to loot Slytherin.
I mean if they are already there- and even look like someone else -so why waste the opportunity?
Any adventurer worth the title would do it.:smallbiggrin:

Belksworth
2017-02-23, 07:12 PM
Hey! I read your comic, and was inspired to create something similar for A Game of Thrones.Do you have any advice for using Powerpoint? What other tools do you use to make the comic?

keybounce
2017-02-23, 11:55 PM
Ohh, a software bug in an untested, cumbersome, special-purpose device that took a month to build :-).

miner3203
2017-02-26, 09:23 PM
Hey! I read your comic, and was inspired to create something similar for A Game of Thrones.Do you have any advice for using Powerpoint? What other tools do you use to make the comic?

I use PowerPoint and a media player that doesn't mind being alt-tabbed. Other than that, it's just screenshots and speech bubbles. Tips--go wild. Be creative. Nothing is too far out. And remember that however critical you are of your own work, everyone else is going to criticize it about a quarter that much. So don't be afraid to post things.

Good luck! (Also, I'd love to see what you come up with if you want to provide me with a link.)

keybounce
2017-03-03, 07:09 PM
Oh yes. No matter how convoluted the die rolling may be, if it lets me attack my rival ...

DeadpanSal
2017-03-28, 10:46 AM
This comic just reminds me of how little quidditch we got and how great it was when we did. I kind of want to see how the table handles gradually losing it.

Kantaki
2017-04-01, 08:18 AM
So no broken vanished bones for Harry?
A bit disappointing. I kinda wanted to see the reaction. Not that it makes a difference rest-wise.

keybounce
2017-04-02, 10:29 AM
Anti-magic shield is just a white-colored protection from white :-)

miner3203
2017-04-08, 01:35 AM
This comic just reminds me of how little quidditch we got and how great it was when we did. I kind of want to see how the table handles gradually losing it.

Not even gradually--the last game is played in third year, and then it's never mentioned again. Ever. Of course, that'll change in the comics, but still. That part of the movies annoyed me.

So no broken vanished bones for Harry?
A bit disappointing. I kinda wanted to see the reaction. Not that it makes a difference rest-wise.

Not this time. Lockhart as I've chosen to portray him is an idiot, not strictly incompetent (he has to have at least some skill to survive all his time-travelling), and he's definitely going to have more than his share of critical fumbles already.

Also, I'd like to thank all everyone for still following the comic even though the update speed is rather glacial at the moment--it'll pick up after the first couple weeks of May, once AP exams are over and I'm free again. I promise.

keybounce
2017-04-10, 12:03 AM
Good point; quiddich was constant in the books.

===

I am still sick of the very common "The golden snitch is OP" that I keep seeing about the game. We know that the total points is what matters, not the game win/loss rate.

So lets look at Hogwarts. 4 teams. 6 games. What happens if 2 teams are 2-1 at the end of the year?

Answer: Nothing that those catchers did matters; both gained equal points from the snitch. It's the rest of the team that determines which team played better. And the whole Hogwarts "Game points adds to house points" that puts academics and athletics on equally important footing to the houses.

As long as 2-1/2-1/1-2/1-2, or 2-1/2-1/2-1/0-3 are the common end-of-year stats, then the worst you can say is that 1 or 2 of the houses are out of the competition based on bad performance from one star player from the house.

And that's it -- quiddich only means that each house tries to find one really skilled person for one job, and then those that do (can't be all of them) are in the running for the rest of the challenge.

Alandra
2017-04-11, 12:39 PM
Winning or losing does matter in the Championship, though.

If the Chasers and Keepers are more or less on the same level (not like Irland and Bulgaria), then the Snitch is kind of overpowered, but the Beaters could help with that, if they mostly focus on the opposing Seeker.

miner3203
2017-04-16, 02:01 PM
I think the major issue with the Snitch is that in Hogwarts, where there's basically one good Seeker and the rest of the Quidditch players are mediocre at best (none of them are professionals, that's for sure), it does end up being visibly overpowered for the duration of the books. But once you get into higher-level, professional play, where your Beaters can pelt opposing Seekers with Bludgers with precision accuracy and your Chasers are actually capable of scoring several hundred points under normal circumstances, the Snitch becomes less of an "I win" button and more of a highly-coveted wildcard.

keybounce
2017-04-21, 11:54 AM
So, we are now in a new session. Starting with the results of brewing the polyjuice potion.

https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0178

"Are there any trolls?"
<Sigh> "No"
"Well, anything else?"
<roll> <roll> <roll>

Never tempt fate :-)

Still, there's this at the bottom of 179:

Anything is scarier when you make it sentient. Basilisk isn't terrifying enough? Make it talk! Not sure how to make the beasts of the forest properly formidable? Give them a dark and evil culture! Players defeating tarrasques far too easily? Give one sentience and class levels in wizard and barbarian!

Other than eternally drowning one, what is a half-way decent way to stop a tarrasque? They don't have credit cards to remove.

Kantaki
2017-04-21, 04:11 PM
Well Ron, if I had to guess I would say that they are so calm because they knew what was coming.:smallamused:
I wouldn't be surprised if they got the ghost to leave them alone by promising her someone more... entertaining to play with.:smallamused:

keybounce
2017-05-02, 10:34 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0180

I'm glad that the girl's bathroom did not become a running joke.

I mean, that might have lead to people thinking that there was only one girl's bathroom in the whole school, instead of just the one on that floor in that area.

miner3203
2017-05-06, 01:05 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0180

I'm glad that the girl's bathroom did not become a running joke.

I mean, that might have lead to people thinking that there was only one girl's bathroom in the whole school, instead of just the one on that floor in that area.

Well, it is the only girls' bathroom that other random students are not apt to randomly walk into. In canon, at least.

keybounce
2017-05-07, 12:41 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0181

That's an odd exit. Even for a ghost. She splashes. She actually moves the water.

Corporeal ghosts? Or was this something that the movie people didn't think about?

Ellen
2017-05-07, 11:13 PM
Randomly howl and dive into a toilet? What's so strange about that? I knew a dog who did it all the time.

Hmm, obviously, Myrtle was a dog-animagus in life and no one thought to mention it to us.

keybounce
2017-05-08, 12:48 PM
Splash the water at the same time that she dies into the toilet.

I'm pretty sure the book didn't mention water splashing. And I can see how the movie people would think it made good touch.

But that implies that ghosts in this world can affect the material world; if they can move water, they can pull triggers, etc.

miner3203
2017-05-08, 07:50 PM
Well, obviously the water made its to-hit roll. After all, ghosts only have a 50% chance of being unaffected by corporeal weapons. :smallwink:

DeadpanSal
2017-05-14, 07:22 PM
Statistically speaking, she'll hit about half of the water molecules in the toilet.

keybounce
2017-05-23, 03:56 PM
New update
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0182

It's dueling club time.

keybounce
2017-05-30, 01:12 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0183

Dueling club strike number one.

keybounce
2017-06-05, 08:46 PM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0184

keybounce
2017-06-23, 12:45 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0185

Remember, arguing with the DM is likely to make you "selected" ...

Mith
2017-06-23, 12:11 PM
I need to remember that DC joke for my own table.

keybounce
2017-06-23, 01:42 PM
But there are games where you can "add and roll again" on the right rolls.

keybounce
2017-07-07, 12:27 AM
https://sites.google.com/site/emeraldorderdnd/wands-and-wizardry/0186

Looks like our protagonist needs some hero lessons.

miner3203
2017-07-30, 01:57 PM
From the Emerald Order news page:

Wands & Wizardry, the webcomic hosted for a year and a half by the Emerald Order, now has a site of its own. It looks quite a bit nicer and also has an easier-to-remember web address. I'm also planning to settle on an update schedule (new comics every Saturday and Sunday) so that all of you readers know exactly when to check back for new comics. Find the new website here: https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/.

Hope to see you all there!

DeadpanSal
2017-07-30, 06:36 PM
New map!

Wait, wrong comic. New site! Grats!

Kantaki
2017-08-14, 03:54 PM
Well, he's not entirely wrong (https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/0193).:smallamused:

keybounce
2017-08-14, 09:43 PM
Wow, I missed a few here.

The question here, however, is this: What if phoenixes don't necessarily choose the most powerful wizards as allies--what if those wizards are the most powerful because the phoenixes chose them as allies?

That's a really interesting question. The Phoenix's in HP:MoR behave much like that -- they act as power buffs for the wizards that take them.

miner3203
2017-08-16, 07:36 PM
That's a really interesting question. The Phoenix's in HP:MoR behave much like that -- they act as power buffs for the wizards that take them.

Ah, yes. Regenerating power buffs that you can kill for XP--the best kind! :smalltongue:

keybounce
2017-08-29, 02:55 PM
New home, and a few pages later:
https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/0196

The disguise potions are ready, and it's a snow day at a boarding school? You live at the school, you have classes in the same building (castle) as your dorms, and yet you get a day off for snow?

Well, that means a crowded common room, to make things harder for our 'tagonists.

keybounce
2017-09-06, 02:21 AM
More updates

https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/0197
"Mass Stun" on Crabbe and Goyle. "Mass" stun. Just seems so perfect.

Did those actors wear pillows under their shirts or something?

Meanwhile, now up to comic 199 ... lets see what is done for 200 next update.

Kantaki
2017-09-11, 03:36 PM
New comic

I guess they are lucky that Jane had to leave.
Because I'm pretty sure Jim would have done everything to get a advantage out of the (half)cat form. And to keep it of course.
I mean better reflexes, improved senses, nightvision, natural weapons... what's not to like about that?:smallbiggrin:

keybounce
2017-09-12, 07:18 PM
The GM doesn't know what alter fate does?

... Can I swap my miss with my opponent's critical hit?

EDIT: Erfworld numbers! Mathamancy in normal games.

keybounce
2017-10-10, 11:09 PM
https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/0209

Potter just got Riddle's diary.

GM says: A good rule of thumb: if a talking magical artifact has the mental capacity for evasiveness and sarcasm, it probably also has the mental capacity to lie to you and trick you into serving its own goals.

keybounce
2017-11-19, 10:54 PM
https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/0212

Harry is in the flashback, seeing Riddle and Dumbledore talking.

And of course he knows the magic rules like a rules lawyer :)

keybounce
2017-12-03, 01:22 PM
https://www.wandsandwizardry.net/0213

A caster fight.

And it looks like an OOtS style fight.

Ellen
2021-06-29, 12:06 AM
I haven't checked up on this comic for a while but can't seem to find a current link to it. Is it still being written?

truemane
2021-06-29, 06:56 AM
Metamagic Mod: Closum Threadum Necrominicum!