PDA

View Full Version : How Bad Can an Adventurer Be?

RickAllison
2016-08-21, 10:21 PM
The title. With rolling stats, what is the absolute worst a player can be? Here is what I have:

Strength 3: A housecat. You can cause some mischief and carry around mice, but you aren't influencing much with your puny muscles.

Dexterity 3: A gelatinous cube. You are as agile as sentient Jello, be proud of yourself.

Constitution 3: A gas spore. You are as tough as something that was designed to blow up upon being touched.

Intelligence 3: Housecat, again. You have enough intelligence to outsmart vermin, lay ambushes, and use other basic thinking skills. Still, not too impressive...

Wisdom 3: Animated Armor or Rugs of Smothering. But not a Flying Sword; the sharp, pointy thing flying in the air is wiser than you.

Charisma 3: Constrictor snake. You are as lovable as a python, but not nearly so good at giving hugs.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-22, 08:20 AM
Ugh! Rolling stats, I think I will go to the bathroom and kill myself with electricity...

Maxilian
2016-08-22, 09:39 AM
My players love to roll for stats, in quite used to use the Standards ones though (i get the fun of rolling them)

Falcon X
2016-08-22, 09:46 AM
5e built it's balancing around the idea of not rolling for stats. In the 5e games I've played that roll stats, ASIs are nearly meaningless as most people roll an 18, or at least a 16 or two. The game was built to cap starting characters at 15 (before racial adjustments).

That being said, does rolling allow you to take stats below 6, which is in the disability range?

RickAllison
2016-08-22, 09:53 AM
5e built it's balancing around the idea of not rolling for stats. In the 5e games I've played that roll stats, ASIs are nearly meaningless as most people roll an 18, or at least a 16 or two. The game was built to cap starting characters at 15 (before racial adjustments).

That being said, does rolling allow you to take stats below 6, which is in the disability range?

That was the whole point of the first post! If someone was supremely unlucky (literally, they have a significantly better chance of being god-mode and getting all 18s if you do 4d6b3), they would have the wonderful qualities I put up there.

gfishfunk
2016-08-22, 09:57 AM
I think the OP covered it.

Here is an intriguing thought: What would a stat 3 + 18 thing look like?

Str 3 / Wis 18?

Int3 / Cha 18?

Etc.

CaptainCharisma
2016-08-22, 11:27 AM

I love rolling stats personally, and one of the reasons is because of abysmally low scores. Im currently playing a character that, after adjustments, ended up 14, 18, 14, 14, 18, and.... 6. Figuring out why the character has that score when everything else is high is good character development. In my case, that 6 went into charisma. T ended up that my character was the victim or some particularly savage claw work as a child and was left horrifically scarred. Couple that with growing up only seeing 4 diffent people on a regular basis and you can see where a 6 charisma comes from!

And somehow I still ended up being the partys face...

KorvinStarmast
2016-08-22, 12:02 PM
Here is an intriguing thought: What would a stat 3 + 18 thing look like? Int3 / Cha 18? Elan, OoTS. :smallbiggrin: