View Full Version : Why Lock the Filler Comic Thread?

theStorminMormo
2007-07-06, 02:09 PM
This is a respectful question. I understand scrubbing the work. I disagree 100% and think Rich is hurting himself. It certainly turns me off as a fan and it guarantees the continued slow growth of this comic, and possible relegating what could be a broad hit to a niche sub-culture. But it's his call.

However why was the forum locked? At the time of the lock there was a really good conversation about IP and copyright taking place that was interesting and apparently popular. That was a 4-page thread. One post included a singld allegedly copyright infringing image. The other 4 pages did not.

Why lock the whole thing?

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 02:13 PM
So that people couldn't complain or say rude things about the mod, I suppose. Probably the same reason this thread has a high chance of being locked as well.

Ancalagon
2007-07-06, 02:14 PM
Creating a thread asking why a thread got locked is likely to get a lock on the newly created thread... isn't the reason obvious?

The said, locked, thread is supposed to drown, the subject is supposed to end, to be dropped. End of story.

Now I wait until this thread also gets locked (and drowns :)).

Gavin Sage
2007-07-06, 02:14 PM
The four page conversation was political, thus controversial, thus doubly against forum rules.

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 02:16 PM
Godwin's Law is imminent. I can smell it.

teratorn
2007-07-06, 02:19 PM
So that people couldn't complain or say rude things about the mod, I suppose. Probably the same reason this thread has a high chance of being locked as well.

It's simpler than that. When a thread derails and has nothing to do with the first post it is often locked. First post scrubbed what is the purpose of the thread?

Besides, this forum is for OOTS discussions, this thread has nothing to do with OOTS so it should be closed soon also.

Goofy
2007-07-06, 02:19 PM
The Nazis loved just making things that offended them go away!

Sorry, I had to! The Hitler Demon made me do it!

That said, here's a roach: :roach:

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 02:25 PM
The Nazis loved just making things that offended them go away!

Sorry, I had to! The Hitler Demon made me do it!

That said, here's a roach: :roach:

Thanks for humoring me. :smallwink:

Rama_Lei
2007-07-06, 02:29 PM
It's simple it was

a. Political, a no

b. Copyrighted Material, a no

c. Off-topic, a no.

Three strikes you're out.

Lord Zentei
This is a respectful question. I understand scrubbing the work. I disagree 100% and think Rich is hurting himself. It certainly turns me off as a fan and it guarantees the continued slow growth of this comic, and possible relegating what could be a broad hit to a niche sub-culture. But it's his call.

It's not just a matter of Rich's propriety rights, it's the fact that it was published in Dragon magazine.

Rhyeira
Please don't start comparing people to nazis, not even as a joke.

(And yes, this is one of those threads that's going to be locked really, really soon.)

Fascisticide
2007-07-06, 02:30 PM
This board is not for talking about real life, only about OotS
Copyright laws belong to the real world and is controversial. We should never speak about it. Never ever. The gestapo won't allow it.
See No Evil
Hear No Evil
Speak No Evil

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 02:32 PM

(And yes, this is one of those threads that's going to be locked really, really soon.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

It's unavoidable. Better to get it out of the way early when it's still a joke.

theStorminMormo
2007-07-06, 02:34 PM
It's simple it was

a. Political, a no

b. Copyrighted Material, a no

c. Off-topic, a no.

Three strikes you're out.

It was vaguely political, but it wasn't really controversial. Everyone seemed to be getting along just fine. It was copyrighted, but the rules are that copyrighted material gets scrubbed. The mod even quoted the relevant portion. It said nothing about locking threads that contained copyrighted materials. I wouldn't have asked if it was in the rules.

And as far as "c" goes, we weren't randomly discussing off-topic stuff. A lot of the posters felt that there were implications for OotS quite directly from the discussion.

Look, I'm not trying to say the mods can't do it. They're the mods. They do whatever they please and the law is in their discretion. I just feel like it was a good, on-topic thread with a lot of interest that was completely benign once the copyrighted image was scrubbed.

I mean would you rather we just have *another* Miko thread? It seems like we ought to be able to discuss substantive OotS-related issues in a mature and respectful manner - not *only* bicker about characters and speculate about plot. (Although that's fun too.)

theStorminMormo
2007-07-06, 02:37 PM

Which is sad. I really admire the Mods for trying to keep this place civil. It's a nice change from, say, Slashdot. GNAA anyone? But at the same time, this utter aversion to anything real-world related is a dead albatross around the neck of this forum.

OotS is a comic. In real life. On the internet. (Which, interestingly enough, is also real.) OotS is a real game, in the real world. I saw it at my local nerd store a couple of weeks ago. SoD is a real book, in the real world. We think. It's possible to discuss OotS and real life at the same time. I'm not going to make any trouble over this. If this thread gets locked too I won't start another one asking why. I just thought it was worth asking the question seriously and respectfully - is there no room for discussion of OotS in the real world?

Regneva
2007-07-06, 02:39 PM
As a forum administrator myself I find "locking" threads (particularly the ones where people are still discussing, not arguing) clearly useless. Every time I did it more and more of the bastards show up.

If the purpose is to kill the thread (as in no more posts, the thread sinks in the board listing), I depriortize the thread so that new posts don't BUMP the thread anymore.

It's easy and nobody complains.

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 02:39 PM
OotS is a comic. In real life. On the internet. (Which, interestingly enough, is also real.) It's possible to discuss OotS and real life at the same time.

Blasphemy! LYNCH HIM! :smallfurious:

theStorminMormo
2007-07-06, 02:40 PM
As a forum administrator myself I find "locking" threads (particularly the ones where people are still discussing, not arguing) clearly useless. Every time I did it more and more of the bastards show up.

If the purpose is to kill the thread (as in no more posts, the thread sinks in the board listing), I depriortize the thread so that new posts don't BUMP the thread anymore.

It's easy and nobody complains.

I'm also a forum admin on a fairly active forum (a long, long way from here). When I don't like threads - I delete the entire thread. And then ban anyone who complains. ;-) But I also take these steps only *after* repeated PMs with the people infringing on the rules, and I'm *WAY* more lax about the rules than they are around here. So my experience doesn't really apply.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-06, 02:45 PM
Meh. I'm just glad I was able to snag the comic before it was scrubbed.

I'm still waiting for Rich to figure out the copyright finaglings for the ones he did post in Dragon Magazine.

And on a similar note, will Zogonia ever reappear? The website is just a black background now.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-07-06, 02:48 PM
Politics are only controversial if it's a conversation about opinions based on politics. If someone started a Bush-bashing thread it would get locked. If someone started a copywrite infringment thread it would be fine.

Fascisticide
2007-07-06, 02:49 PM
On the subject of locking threads, I agree that it is an annoyance here.
For example, there was a discussion about a particular aspect of what was the latest strip at the moment, and it was very interesting. The thread was locked by a mod who said the discussions about the latest strip should be in the official thread about this strip.

Belkar Rocks
2007-07-06, 02:52 PM
I'm still waiting for Rich to figure out the copyright finaglings for the ones he did post in Dragon Magazine.I, too, look forward to reading the "Dragon OotS" once he makes it available to us, whether it be online or dead tree format.

I, for one, am more than willing to pay to get my hands on the dead tree format. Hint, hint! :smallcool:

Spiryt
2007-07-06, 02:59 PM
I'm also a forum admin on a fairly active forum (a long, long way from here). When I don't like threads - I delete the entire thread. And then ban anyone who complains. ;-) But I also take these steps only *after* repeated PMs with the people infringing on the rules, and I'm *WAY* more lax about the rules than they are around here. So my experience doesn't really apply.

This all thread was comletely not about OotS. It was about one OotS strip, illegaly posted on this boards. And before it was closed, people keep talking about copyright e.c (friendly barter or maybe Media Discussions, but not OotS).

Besides, seriously i don't know why bother about closing it. People keep writing about "if thing that we should write about should be here or not" or " it's strange that Mods didn't commence frontal assault still".

Pretty pointles. I admit that it possibly should be moved, but people would anyway forget it fast.

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 03:02 PM
Holy syntax, Batman! :smallconfused:

Dragonfoxfly
2007-07-06, 03:04 PM
You know, you do not even have to read the rules of the boards to know that this thread will be locked...

Goofy
2007-07-06, 03:13 PM
I believe part of the success of this board is the lack of real-world controversial subjects, also known as politics and religion.

theStorminMormo
2007-07-06, 03:14 PM
This all thread was comletely not about OotS.

Actually, Rich's philosophy and its impact on Oots re: copyright was mentioned several times.

Holy syntax, Batman!

Lol! :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2007-07-06, 03:26 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: If you have a question about a forum rule, please post that in the Board/Site Issues forum. If you have a question about a specific moderator action, please PM the moderator directly or PM WampaX, the board guru.

Please do not create a new thread to restart a locked thread or question why it was locked.

Thank you.