PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Armored zombie?

Pinjata
2016-08-22, 06:29 AM
- Is it ok it is armored this way?
- I guess zombies are smart enough to stab with a spear?
- I also guess they would be smart enough to throw a spear at a flying target?

Zombie
Medium undead,neutral evil
Armor Class 16 (Chain mail)
Hit Points 22(3d8+ 9)
Speed 20 ft.
str 13 (+1) dex 6 (-2) con 16 (+3) int 3 (-4) wis 6 (-2) cha 5 (-3)
Proficiency Bonus+2
Saving Throws Wis +0
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages understands the languages it knew in life but can't speak
Challenge1/4(50 XP)

Undead Fortitude.If damage reduces the zombie to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the zombie drops to 1 hit point instead.

Actions
Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.Thrown 20/60 (1d6+1)
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) bludgeoning damage.

Gwendol
2016-08-22, 07:07 AM
They are explicitly void of thought and can't use tactics. A zombie may use a weapon in hand, but will not pick up a weapon from the ground to attack. Using a spear is ok, throwing a spear at a flying target is less so (why doesn't it throw its spear at all targets?).

Arkhios
2016-08-22, 07:14 AM
- Is it ok it is armored this way?
- I guess zombies are smart enough to stab with a spear?
- I also guess they would be smart enough to throw a spear at a flying target?

Zombie
Medium undead,neutral evil
Armor Class 16 (Chain mail)
Hit Points 22(3d8+ 9)
Speed 20 ft.
str 13 (+1) dex 6 (-2) con 16 (+3) int 3 (-4) wis 6 (-2) cha 5 (-3)
Proficiency Bonus+2
Saving Throws Wis +0
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 8
Languages understands the languages it knew in life but can't speak
Challenge1/4(50 XP)

Undead Fortitude.If damage reduces the zombie to 0 hit points, it must make a Constitution saving throw with a DC of 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or from a critical hit. On a success, the zombie drops to 1 hit point instead.

Actions
Spear. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d8 + 1) piercing damage.Thrown 20/60 (1d6+1)
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) bludgeoning damage.

Technically, they aren't smart enough to do either of those, but if you (or your DM) think this particular zombie would be smart enough to stab or throw with a spear, then sure. Go ahead. Although, like Gwendol said, Zombies are brainless enough to not pick up a thrown spear afterwards.
A minor nitpick though, your damage for spear is wrong :smalltongue:

Since I need some practice on calculating Challenge Ratings, let's see how this goes:

AC 16 is a slight boost for a CR suggested by Zombie's hit points (one step higher), which means this "Alternative" Zombie's Defensive Challenge Rating = 0.1875.
Spear damage is 5 points on average, which isn't all that big of a change. All in all, Offensive Challenge Rating remains the same, 1/4 (= 0.25).

DCR = 0.1875
OCR = 0.25
Final CR = (DCR+OCR)/2 = 0.21875, which is closer to 0.25 (1/4) than 0.125 (1/8), meaning the Challenge Rating remains roughly the same: 1/4.

In the end it seems it's quite alright. Go for it.

Pinjata
2016-08-22, 08:25 AM
thanks people :)

As per module, a wizard is accompanied by a group of zombies(he's a necromancer), so i thought he'd probably give them some weapons and armor and tell them to guard certain area by stabbing the intruders.

Belac93
2016-08-22, 10:45 AM
I would argue that spears (and all stabbing weapons) wouldn't work. To use a stabbing weapon, you have to make a controlled motion to actually manage to hit anything, and it is a motion I do not think zombies could learn to do.

However, if you were giving them slashing to bludgeoning weapons, that is a very simple motion that a zombie will probably be doing anyway. This would be what would work.

You can also always use skeletons. They have a decent intelligence score, and so could learn to use a spear.

gfishfunk
2016-08-22, 10:54 AM
I would up the xp to 100 due to the increased AC; and then up the damage by giving it multi-attack and 1d4 or 1d6 damage instead.

Also, I would also remove the spear. If you want the damage, just give the zombie the +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d8 + 1) bludgeoning damage. No need to give it a spear.

Reaper34
2016-08-22, 05:54 PM
I would allow the armor. no reason you couldn't put armor on them. probably lower the ac they gain by 1 due to them not "using" the armor and just taking a passive bonus from it.

I wouldn't allow the spear in either case. they aren't smart enough to use it. a mace or club I would allow due to it being fairly unskilled weapons. no shield use due to low int.

just how I would rule it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't allow for any armor besides heavy to work on a zombie. Part of using armor is knowing how to defend yourself, zombies don't really know how to do that which is reflected in their normally horrid AC.

Zombies would take penalties for being in heavy armor.

D.U.P.A.
2016-08-29, 04:49 PM
But in case of Animate dead spell, it would be an option to put chain mail onto it? That would increase its durability a lot more.

Specter
2016-08-29, 04:52 PM
I don't think they should be frightened or charmed, and poison should be at least resisted.