PDA

View Full Version : Taking a PrC more than once?

weckar
2016-08-22, 08:16 AM
Strange question, but is there any specific rule against starting a PrC again from the start once you've finished it - assuming you still qualify for it?

Telonius
2016-08-22, 08:48 AM
I don't think so, but it would be a pretty weird situation. For most of the class abilities, they'd be useless since they're duplicating something you already have. All you'd be getting would be hit dice, BAB, saves, and skill points.

For something like Hellfire Warlock, unfortunately the Hellfire Blast is capped at +2d6 per class level, and the class level would never exceed 3.

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-22, 08:55 AM
For that matter, why can't I take Barbarian more than once? I could then take both the Lion Totem Barbarian and another variant, multi-classing in two different versions of the same class.

Cerefel
2016-08-22, 09:08 AM
For that matter, why can't I take Barbarian more than once? I could then take both the Lion Totem Barbarian and another variant, multi-classing in two different versions of the same class.

Actually when it comes to ACFs there is a specific rule against it in Unearthed Arcana

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-22, 09:22 AM
Actually when it comes to ACFs there is a specific rule against it in Unearthed Arcana

That's great news, because most of the DMs I play with have banned Unearthed Arcana! :smallbiggrin:

Firest Kathon
2016-08-22, 10:37 AM
Strange question, but is there any specific rule against starting a PrC again from the start once you've finished it - assuming you still qualify for it?

Page 59 of the Player's Handbook:

A character can’t gain 1st level in the same class more than once, even if this would allow him or her to select different class features, such as a different set of domains for a cleric.

weckar
2016-08-22, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the find Firest, that pretty much clinches it :smallsmile:

No taking ALL Master Thrower abilities for me, then :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2016-08-22, 10:45 AM
Page 59 of the Player's Handbook:

Ah, that would be it! Not replicated in the SRD since it's right next to/part of the "level-up" materials.

animewatcha
2016-08-23, 02:06 AM
There is a rules exception with the different animal shens from dragon mag.

Kaje
2016-08-23, 04:35 AM
I feel like there was also an exception for stoneblessed but I can't seem to find it.

A.A.King
2016-08-23, 05:15 AM

To be fair the OP is asking if he can take a Prestige Class again only after completing it once, do you really want to take Barbarian 1 again at level 21 (with up until that point nothing but barbarian levels)?

weckar
2016-08-23, 05:19 AM
I feel like there was also an exception for stoneblessed but I can't seem to find it.
Considering they are effectively three separate ideas, that would make a form of sense. But I can't find it either.

The Viscount
2016-08-23, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the find Firest, that pretty much clinches it :smallsmile:

No taking ALL Master Thrower abilities for me, then :smallbiggrin:

If you're specifically after more master thrower abilities, you can maybe get them using uncanny trickster or legacy champion and a DM willing to work with you.

Soranar
2016-08-23, 06:02 PM
I don't know, taking human paragon multiple times (and changing your skills, your bonus stat and your free feat) could be pretty powerful

Jay R
2016-08-23, 10:43 PM
I would disallow it, on the basis of a rule found in Conquistador!, a 70s SPI game, forbidding doing something "in contravention of common sense".

No, you cannot become a 1st level barbarian if you are already a higher level barbarian. Just no. Quit being silly and play the game.

weckar
2016-08-24, 03:17 AM
Again, barbarian is not a prestige class. keep your examples relevant :smalltongue:

BowStreetRunner
2016-08-24, 07:24 AM
Again, barbarian is not a prestige class. keep your examples relevant :smalltongue:

Rules that apply to classes apply to all classes, whether base classes or prestige classes, unless they specifically state otherwise. :bigtongue:

ShurikVch
2016-08-24, 06:37 PM
I think it should be possible to take Animal Lord multiple times, because every different variant not just have different name, but even different requirements

Der_DWSage
2016-08-24, 06:51 PM
I would disallow it, on the basis of a rule found in Conquistador!, a 70s SPI game, forbidding doing something "in contravention of common sense".

No, you cannot become a 1st level barbarian if you are already a higher level barbarian. Just no. Quit being silly and play the game.

I saw you stating this same rule in the other thread, so I have to ask by now.

What does Conquistador! have to do with D&D, and why do you keep bringing it up?

Big Fau
2016-08-24, 10:28 PM

How is that remotely relevant to this conversation? Seriously, pulling rules from an entirely different game to make a point is utterly meaningless. That would be like a player optimizing his base land speed so he could pass Go 100 times in a single turn to break the WBL.

MHCD
2016-08-25, 03:29 AM
How is that remotely relevant to this conversation? Seriously, pulling rules from an entirely different game to make a point is utterly meaningless. That would be like a player optimizing his base land speed so he could pass Go 100 times in a single turn to break the WBL.

How else does Chuck E. Cheese get so many tokens?

Strigon
2016-08-25, 08:46 AM
How else does Chuck E. Cheese get so many tokens?

I don't know if I love you for that, or hate you.

Fitz10019
2016-08-25, 12:58 PM
This falls under the category: the rules say no, so ask your DM very very nicely.

KillianHawkeye
2016-08-25, 01:19 PM
I saw you stating this same rule in the other thread, so I have to ask by now.

What does Conquistador! have to do with D&D, and why do you keep bringing it up?

To be fair, "Quit being silly, use common sense" is hardly system-specific.

Afgncaap5
2016-08-25, 04:04 PM
To be fair, "Quit being silly, use common sense" is hardly system-specific.

Yeah. It may not be a by-the-book rule, but as a house rule or even house guideline it's pretty reasonable.