PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Danger, Half-Orc Str-Ranger

R.Shackleford
2016-08-22, 08:23 AM
I like strength based builds on PCs that don't, at first glance, really support them.

The Stranger is a Strength Based Ranger that will be a replacement fighter. Unlike the Strogue (strength rogue) this one will rely on multiple attacks instead of just shove + stab. U like the Cleric the Stranger will rely on their martial side more (weapons and skills).

Half-Orc Outlander Ranger
"Come at me bro"

Name: Danger
Class: Stranger
Race: Half-Orc

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Skills: Athletics, Nature, Animal Handling, Perception, Survival, Intimidation

AC: 18 (medium armor + shield)
HP: 12 (1/rest drop to 1 hp instead of 0)

One additional weapon die on crits
Favored Enemy
Natural Explorer

So at level 2 we pick up dueling style and make sure we have a battle axe or other 1 handed versatile weapon.

At level 3 we pick up Hunter (Horde Breaker)

At level 4 we pick up shield master BUT we aren't primarily going to use it for knocking a creature prone. We are going to use it to maneuver creatures into position so horde breaker will trigger. +2 Dex save is nice.

Level 5 we get extra attack, we now will be making three attacks per turn and shoving enemies (back or prone).

Level 6 we pick up additional enemy and terrain

Level 7 we pick up advantage versus frighten. The other two choices have their uses but because Half Orcs aren't falling to 0 as easy, HP damage isn't as scary.

Level 8: boost strength. 18 strength.

Level 11: Whirlwind attack (I'm aware of the RAW v RAI argument, it doesn't matter on this build). Each attack roll can crit. Yay!. One attack deals Hunter's Mark damage, yay (I had a brain fart earlier)! Really only use this option if there are 4+ creatures surrounding you. You can already take care of 1, 2, and 3 creatures with the attack action (and before you take the Attack action shield master can prone one)

One creature
1d8 + 4 + 2 + 1d6 = 14

Other creatures
1d8 + 4 + 2 (x3) = 31.5

However DPR is meh for the most part, this just shows you won't be completely incompetent as you level up.

By Ranger 11... You get spells which are 1st (4), 2nd (3), and 3rd (3).

Now if you want a non-magical fighter you could take and use spells that you can personally fluff as non-magical. Longstrider and Jump work well.

Notable spells
1st
Absorb Elements
Fog Cloud
Hunter's Mark
Longstrider

2nd
Animal Messenger ( :smallamused: )
Lesser Restoration
Locate Object
Spike Growth (you have a BA shove!)

3rd
Conjure Animals
Lightning Arrow (works on thrown weapons, nice to switch up your damage type, additional dmg has low DC but it's a nice add on)
Nondetection
Protect from energy
Wind wall

A low Wis, high Strength Ranger can be nice. For the most part it does take the place of the Fighter, tho sadly you have to have spells with this one. If they ever put out the martial Ranger and it doesn't suck I'll remake this build.

The 3e, Essentials, and 5e Fighter is known for many attacks and this Ranger does just that.

Whirlwind isn't as good as Volley, but for what we will use Whirlwind for it does well enough.

Further levels and notes.

At level 12 boost Wis by +2, you can now MC as we do not want to hit Ranger 20 anytime soon.

All other ASI (max 2) should go into Wis for an 18 Wis if you want to use spells. If not then I would boost Con.

MC notes

Barbarian 3: Perfect for this build. I would go Bear.

Cleric: So many great options, I would go life.

Druid: Doesn't give you as much as other options as your WS will be weak. Use this to boost your caster side with some really nice spells (heat metal > armor).

Fighter: Doesn't exist

Monk: can work but I wouldnt.

Rogue: Perfect synergy, I would go any except maybe swashbuckler. Expertise Athletics is a must.

Wizard: Instead of boosting Wis, boost your Wis and Int at 12 and then you can MC into wizard for all sorts of neat tricks. My favorite may be necromancy so you can raise dead animals to avenge the woodlands. (Note: there has been Litch druids made by wotc). Another fun one would be diviner as portent is that much fun. Play God wizard in such a way so you don't need to rely on spell DCs.

===

Vuman Option

Vuman Outlander Stranger Ranger 1

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 12
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Feat: Tavern Brawler

AC: 18
HP: 12

Skills: Athletics, Arcana, Nature, Animal Handling, Perception, and Survival

Level 2: Dueling Fighting Style
Level 3: Horde Breaker
Level 4: Grappler

Notable Spells: Longstrider and Jump

Grappling

When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you’re able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

The target of your grapple must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach. Using at least one free hand, you try to seize the target by making a grapple check instead of an attack roll: a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you succeed, you subject the target to the grappled condition (see appendix A). The condition specifies the things that end it, and you can release the target whenever you like (no action required).

Escaping a Grapple: A grappled creature can use its action to escape. To do so, it must succeed on a Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check contested by your Strength (Athletics) check.

Moving a Grappled Creature: When you move, you can drag or carry the grappled creature with you, but your speed is halved, unless the creature is two or more sizes smaller than you.

With this one, at Level 5 (extra attack), I would bash creatures in the face with my shield (attack action) + bonus action to grapple them + move + second attack (against the grappled target) + horde breaker attack (now that I have an eligible target).

I've never had a DM or friend tell me that a shield is anything less than a d6 weapon... Results may vary.

Giant2005
2016-08-22, 08:29 AM
Level 11: Whirlwind attack (I'm aware of the RAW v RAI argument, it doesn't matter on this build). Each attack roll can crit. Yay!. Each attack deals Hunter's Mark damage

Hunter's Mark debuffs an enemy rather than budding yourself - only the one, debuffed enemy takes Hunter's Mark damage.

Zman
2016-08-22, 08:39 AM
Yep, very viable build. Couple of problems though.

AC for Medium armor, you mean AC17 as half plate is 15+2.

Hunter's Mark is only on one enemy so Whirlwind doesn't fully benefit from it. IMO Whirlwind should let you move during it.

Barbarian 3 after Ranger 15 Uncanny Dodge works great.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-22, 08:52 AM
Yep, very viable build. Couple of problems though.

AC for Medium armor, you mean AC17 as half plate is 15+2.

Hunter's Mark is only on one enemy so Whirlwind doesn't fully benefit from it. IMO Whirlwind should let you move during it.

Barbarian 3 after Ranger 15 Uncanny Dodge works great.

Ranger automatically gains scail mail from their class, 14 + 2 (Max Dex) + 2 shield = 18
Breastplate would be 15 + 2 (Dex) + 2 Shield = 19.

Yeah, I have no clue why I was thinking HM and Whirlwind, brain fart.

If I'm going martial I would probably go Ranger 12 / Barbarian 3 / Rogue 5

That sweet sweet advantage, bear totem, and Expertise (Uncanny Dodge, Sneak Attack (refluff the Rapier as a pick), and other really awesome things)

If I'm going caster I would hit cleric up and have some fun.

MrStabby
2016-08-22, 08:57 AM
If multiclassing a level of war cleric for divine favour and heavy armour might be good. Also the slight boost in spell slots is good.

If I were to MC cleric though I would probably go Nature cleric from the start (1 level) so I could use Shilleighlagh instead and dump St (heavy armour support can come from dwarf race). It would play the same but much easier to sort out later multiclassing as a little less MAD.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-22, 09:21 AM
If multiclassing a level of war cleric for divine favour and heavy armour might be good. Also the slight boost in spell slots is good.

If I were to MC cleric though I would probably go Nature cleric from the start (1 level) so I could use Shilleighlagh instead and dump St (heavy armour support can come from dwarf race). It would play the same but much easier to sort out later multiclassing as a little less MAD.

Thats a Winger, not a Stranger. Defeats the point.

Tanarii
2016-08-22, 09:42 AM
From what I can see your build doesn't get anything from Str that a Dex-based S&B Rapier build wouldn't get. You're burning points to no purpose that could be used in other stats.

The point of a Str build is either to Grapple, dump Dex (in conjunction with HA), or to use a Heavy Weapon. This build does none of those. (Edit: And with access to Dueling FS, there's no reason to use a non-reach heavy weapon unless you're taking the GWM feat)

Versions of a Ranger Str build that meet those goals:
1) GWM build with Defense FS
2) PAM build with Defense FS
3) Both GWM & PAM build
3) Polearm, Sentinel, Defense FS and Beastmaster build

R.Shackleford
2016-08-22, 09:49 AM
From what I can see your build doesn't get anything from Str that a Dex-based S&B Rapier build wouldn't get. You're burning points to no purpose that could be used in other stats.

The point of a Str build is either to Grapple, dump Dex (in conjunction with HA), or to use a Heavy Weapon. This build does none of those. (Edit: And with access to Dueling FS, there's no reason to use a non-reach heavy weapon unless you're taking the GWM feat)

3) Both GWM & PAM build

Athletics prof for shield master in order to maneuver creatures into position for Horde Breaker to work.

Also Shield Master makes for a decent disengage when you are fighting against one creature. Attack and then Bonus Action (Shove Back) and you can typically walk away scot free.

I build things with the idea of Level 1 - 8 (sometimes to level 11 or 12). This is a level 1 - 8 build that has the rest of the levels tacked on.

Specter
2016-08-22, 09:53 AM
STR rangers work just fine, the only trouble is not being able to dump DEX.

You said that fighter as a multiclass "doesn't exist", and I wish you got deeper on that. A fighter level gives you much-needed heavy armor and another FS, two give you Action Surge and three give you maneuvers OR improved critical, which is awesome for a Half-Orc with Whirlwind Attack.

And as it was pointed out, going for heavy weapons seems better than being a Shield Master, especially because rangers are constantly busy with their bonus actions they won't shove people much. Battlemaster's trip attack could be better.

MrStabby
2016-08-22, 09:58 AM

3) Both GWM & PAM build

The trouble with a lot of these is that they use your bonus action. The strength of rangers is their wide range of great bonus action abilities. By the time you factor in the lost abilities it looks so much better doing these things on a fighter chassis than a ranger (in my opinion).

A grapple build might work, but then there is still the fundamental question about why do this with a ranger mechanical basis than a fighter?

R.Shackleford
2016-08-22, 10:04 AM
STR rangers work just fine, the only trouble is not being able to dump DEX.

You said that fighter as a multiclass "doesn't exist", and I wish you got deeper on that. A fighter level gives you much-needed heavy armor and another FS, two give you Action Surge and three give you maneuvers OR improved critical, which is awesome for a Half-Orc with Whirlwind Attack.

And as it was pointed out, going for heavy weapons seems better than being a Shield Master, especially because rangers are constantly busy with their bonus actions they won't shove people much. Battlemaster's trip attack could be better.

The point of this is to replace the Fighter, just like the Strogue replaces the Fighter. There is no Fighter levels to be had.

With this build you wouldn't be using many of the bonus action spells when you are in melee. Perhaps the first round of combat but not after that.

Shield Master gives you a use for your bonus action every round in combat (when engaged). If you are going to use your attack action and you don't need to shove back, you can always shove prone. Advantage on your attack is nice.

DPR is a white room statistic. You don't need to do max DPR to have a good build, you just need to keep up with the game. Without heavy weapons you keep up with the game just fine, there is no need to boost your damage any further.

Besides you will have 2 to 5 more players dealing damage, the bonus damage that you would do by optimizing just for damage is insignificant compared to the other 2 or 5 adding on damage.

Quality over Quantity. Being able to keep up with damage and prone/move creatures is worth more than overkilling with HP.

Edit

Updated the Original Post with a Vuman Grapple Build... You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting Horde Breaker to go off.

Tanarii
2016-08-22, 12:55 PM
Athletics prof for shield master in order to maneuver creatures into position for Horde Breaker to work.Aha. That's what I missed. Okay, now it makes sense.

Although I'm still interested in how you're "maneuvering creatures into position for Horde Breaker to work". Do you just mean pushing two creatures adjacent to each other, then moving up and unleashing the pain?

Tanarii
2016-08-22, 01:22 PM
The trouble with a lot of these is that they use your bonus action. The strength of rangers is their wide range of great bonus action abilities.TWF is replaced by GWM or PAM. That's usually considered an upgrade. TWF also can't be triggered by Ranger's Companion attacks.

Moving Hunter's Mark is a bonus action, but it already conflicts with TWF builds anyway. And again, it's not particularly useful anyway for Beastmasters.

(Edit2: I'm assuming you have other bonus actions in mind. I just addressed the two most commonly used ones. What else?)

By the time you factor in the lost abilities it looks so much better doing these things on a fighter chassis than a ranger (in my opinion).

A grapple build might work, but then there is still the fundamental question about why do this with a ranger mechanical basis than a fighter?Fighters don't get many things the Ranger chassis does, like Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer, Skills, etc. Are we making a Ranger here, or a Fighter?

Edit: fix quotes.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-22, 04:35 PM
Aha. That's what I missed. Okay, now it makes sense.

Although I'm still interested in how you're "maneuvering creatures into position for Horde Breaker to work". Do you just mean pushing two creatures adjacent to each other, then moving up and unleashing the pain?

Pretty much yes,

One of the problems with Horde Breaker is that you need an adjacent creature, which doesn't always happen.

Also you can always knock a creature prone and wail on it with advantage and then smack the other creature.

Though I made the Vuman Grapple build which works nicely for making sure you get off your horde breaker. Longstrider (40' Movement) so that you can move 20' per round when you are dragging someone behind you to make sure your horde breaker works. You could pick up mobile for +10 movement so you can drag someone 25'.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-23, 10:27 AM
Each attack deals Hunter's Mark damage, yay!

Hunters Mark is single target, it can't apply to all the enemies of a whirlwind attack.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 11:23 AM
Hunters Mark is single target, it can't apply to all the enemies of a whirlwind attack.

If you don't edit the quote you will see that I've made note of that. Even calling out my brain fart.

Also, was you holding on to that for a day? The last time I edited the OP was yesterday... I'm generally curious about this. Unless I missed a different part of the original post where I posted that twice?

MrStabby
2016-08-23, 11:27 AM
I know I have posted some wildly out of time stuff. Type it up in a different window and come back to it a couple of days later and hit send.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 11:33 AM
I know I have posted some wildly out of time stuff. Type it up in a different window and come back to it a couple of days later and hit send.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to be mean... I just... I'm actually wondering if maybe I missed something or how this happened haha.

Mandragola
2016-08-23, 12:01 PM
I like the idea of this build. Shield master is already quite a good feat and combining it with horde breaker is clever.

It seems to me that it would make sense to start out as variant human though, so you could actually have the feat straight away. It's kind of irritating how Vumans are best for any feat-reliant build though, so I get why you'd not want to do this. A mountain dwarf would be an interesting alternative I think. Trouble is that it would be very tempting to raise your strength rather than get the feat.

I find the ranger class annoying because I can't find a build that I'm really happy with. This option is pretty close to that though.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of this build. Shield master is already quite a good feat and combining it with horde breaker is clever.

It seems to me that it would make sense to start out as variant human though, so you could actually have the feat straight away. It's kind of irritating how Vumans are best for any feat-reliant build though, so I get why you'd not want to do this. A mountain dwarf would be an interesting alternative I think. Trouble is that it would be very tempting to raise your strength rather than get the feat.

I find the ranger class annoying because I can't find a build that I'm really happy with. This option is pretty close to that though.

Honestly, the lack of heavy armor or Heavy armor equivalent pushes the Ranger (along with other features)

If the Ranger could add their str mod to AC (in place of dex, max Dex still appliesp) and if their spells weren't primarily bow focused we would have ourself a ballgame.

Actually just give me hey armor or str to AC and I would love the Ranger a lot more.

Edit

If nature clerics can have heavy armor, why not the ranger?

D.U.P.A.
2016-08-23, 12:44 PM
What about Heavily armored feat?

Mandragola
2016-08-23, 12:47 PM
Well, there's kind of no reason you couldn't make a heavily-armoured ranger. A variant human could start with heavy armour proficiency and a half orc, mountain dwarf or goliath could start with strength 17 and pick the feat up at lvl 4.

You obviously wouldn't be all that sneaky, and it probably doesn't work well with your other features. To be honest I tend to find that it's not difficult to get 14 dex on a strength-based ranger and live with medium armour. That gives you a reasonable AC and lets you sneak about fairly well. Plus you might as well have a reasonable dex save if you're getting shield master.

If you're building a guy who's in heavy armour and hasn't got good dex, you seriously ought to make a fighter instead I think.

Tanarii
2016-08-23, 12:48 PM
What about Heavily armored feat?Half-feat, no less. Of course, up to level 4 (unless a vuman) you're gonna be suffering pretty hard for dumping Dex.

GlenSmash!
2016-08-23, 01:19 PM
Nice build. I really like Str-based Rangers and Ranger/Barbarian builds. Since I'm used to playing barbarians, not being able to dump dex has never been a concern for me personally.

The problem with GWM Rangersis if I drop a foe do I move hunters mark or bonus action attack?

What I really like about the Shieldmaster Ranger over the GWM Ranger is that the bonus action shove is in less competition with moving hunter's mark than GWM bonus action attack.

So If I drop a foe, I move Hunter's mark. If I don't I shove.

Horde Breaker is also one of my favorite ranger abilities. Since bounded accuracy makes groups of small enemies much more dangerous in this edition that previously, anything that helps thin the crowd is extra useful in my book.

War Cleric for number of bonus action attacks up to Wisdom Mod is pretty tempting.

I'd also be tempted to go Mountain Dwarf with this build and hope to get a Dwarven Thrower. Shove your enemies together for Hordebreaker to trigger then throw your Hammer twice at your hunters mark target and once at his neighbor. That's good dwarven fun right there.

For Str-Based Rangers I also like Polearm Master. Hunters Mark + 3 PM attacks + Colossus Slayer is pretty nice. Plus you don't have to worry about positioning.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 01:21 PM
What about Heavily armored feat?

I've made a few this way, but giving up that feat sucks when you could be taking cool things.

I hate 5e's "mechanical versus cool" options.

Well, there's kind of no reason you couldn't make a heavily-armoured ranger. A variant human could start with heavy armour proficiency and a half orc, mountain dwarf or goliath could start with strength 17 and pick the feat up at lvl 4.

You obviously wouldn't be all that sneaky, and it probably doesn't work well with your other features. To be honest I tend to find that it's not difficult to get 14 dex on a strength-based ranger and live with medium armour. That gives you a reasonable AC and lets you sneak about fairly well. Plus you might as well have a reasonable dex save if you're getting shield master.

If you're building a guy who's in heavy armour and hasn't got good dex, you seriously ought to make a fighter instead I think.

Yeah, the original point of this is to replace the fighter as the barbarian and Rogue does that quite well. If you have to put too many resources I to it then you really should just use the fighter.

Half-feat, no less. Of course, up to level 4 (unless a vuman) you're gonna be suffering pretty hard for dumping Dex.

This is what I hate.

Dex is too much of a God stat for the ranger.

<><><><><>

I would just allow the Ranger to replace Dex with str for initiative and AC.

First level Ranger is freaking weak. I would add this to first level ranger. Make it part of natural explorer.

Tanarii
2016-08-23, 01:32 PM
Dex is too much of a God stat for the ranger.That's intentional. Just as it is for Rogues and Monks. For the same reason. All of them fall under the "sneaky scout / skirmisher" archetype. At least, since 3.5e. Before that D&D Rangers were closer to warriors.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 02:30 PM
That's intentional. Just as it is for Rogues and Monks. For the same reason. All of them fall under the "sneaky scout / skirmisher" archetype. At least, since 3.5e. Before that D&D Rangers were closer to warriors.

However the rogue has features that don't rely on having a large dex. Sneak attack and skills don't need a good or large Dex.

The monk is a different beast. The monk is what the Ranger would be if they had a way to supplement their AC outside of Dex. Though the monk is another class whose class features shouldn't be so Dex focused.

However, intent or not, it's bad design when you have to choose between useful versus cool.

Tanarii
2016-08-23, 02:53 PM
It's not bad design to design something to match its archetype.

At least they provided Rangers with medium armor if they would prefer make a Str-based not so sneaky build. Because they do have a touch of warrior to them, more than rogues.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 03:01 PM
It's not bad design to design something to match its archetype.

At least they provided Rangers with medium armor if they would prefer make a Str-based not so sneaky build. Because they do have a touch of warrior to them, more than rogues.

It's bad design when you are choosing mechanical versus cool. Every single time you have to make that choice, it is bad design.

Especially when they aren't going to support the game and give us enough options

Giving flexibility to an archetype allows you to have that archetype AND allow for others to have their ideal archetype.

Punishment for wanting to be flexible with fantasy is very Anti-Fantasy.

Tanarii
2016-08-23, 03:05 PM
It's bad design when you are choosing mechanical versus cool. Every single time.They both mechanical and cool: they made a game designed around traditional D&D archetypes with mechanics backing up each archetype.

Maybe a classes class-less game would better suit your gaming needs if classes based on archetypes don't? I mean, what it seems like you're doing: see how far you can stretch yhe archetype and find out where it starts to break down, then complain about it breaking.

R.Shackleford
2016-08-23, 03:23 PM
They both mechanical and cool: they made a game designed around traditional D&D archetypes with mechanics backing up each archetype.

Maybe a classes class-less game would better suit your gaming needs if classes based on archetypes don't? I mean, what it seems like you're doing: see how far you can stretch yhe archetype and find out where it starts to break down, then complain about it breaking.

Making a Strength Based Ranger is not mechanically straight forward... at all. You have to use Optional Rules for it to work well enough.

Class games work well, it isn't the classes that are the problem. The problem comes when you punish players or make them jump through hoops for using a very common archetype. Especially when you have no plan to support your game.

Want to make things rigid? Ok, then make more rigid options.

And the things that fixes these classes don't have to be class options.

Str replacing Dex for AC? Boom, you now can have a Stranger or Stronk quick and easy.

Tanarii
2016-08-23, 03:26 PM
But a high Str, low Dex, Ranger isn't a common archetype. Not any more. :smallconfused:

Edit: High Str, Medium Dex is doable. As is sorta-high Dex with lots of feats (ie Dex 16 + Medium Amor, all ASI spent on feats). So there's lots of room to build a not maxed out Dex ranger, be it max Str or not. Just not a Str with Dex dump ranger, because that's no longer the archetype.

Edit: I mean, you can do it. But you have to jump through some hoops exactly because you're breaking archetype so heavily.

Vogonjeltz
2016-08-23, 07:30 PM

Bingo. That is exactly right.

djreynolds
2016-08-24, 12:55 AM
I play a strength based beast master, and it works. And you can make this with or without multiclassing.

PAM works well and you can just grab the heavy armor feat and leave dex at 10.

I'm currently using PAM/sentinel and allow my beast to attack and either get AoO when some enters my reach or hits my wolf.

I have also used fighter as a base class and grabbed S&B and protection style and then went ranger the rest of the way, the only thing here that hurt was the 13 in dex, but it wasn't that much of a obstacle.

I like the idea of a half-orc dueling longswords, very cool. For this I would stay pure ranger and just grab the heavy armor feat and honestly I would just duel short swords.

Another idea is grabbing monk at 1st level, and go unarmored and using monk weapons and a staff with PAM, very viable build as you can use dex and a staff and still have good AC and spell DC.

TheBirba
2017-08-07, 12:09 AM
Apologies for necroing the thread, but I have been toying with the idea of a Half-orc, StRanger for a while and found this discussion just lately.

OP's build is about Horde Breaker but my idea is all about making the most out of Giant Slayer. GS can only be used once per turn, which means that contrary to Horde Breaker it can be used during an attack of opportunity, and the easiest ways to get more AoO are Sentinel and PAM.

At level one the Half-Orc Stranger would have the following stats: Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8.
This build is technically a tank so I think the extra Con helps even with Relentless Endurance. Low Wis means you will have to rely on buffing spells over offensive ones, but you could otherwise start with 14 in both Con and Wis.

If at level 2 you choose the Defense: Fighting style that means 19 AC with a Scale Mail + Shield, or 17AC if you go 2h.

At level 4 you can take Sentinel or PAM (or both at lvl 8) and go from there.

At higher levels you can choose to get 3 levels in fighter for an extra fighting style and the Champion archetype. A crit with Polearm + Hunter's Mark + Giant Slayer is 32.5 + strength on a single hit, and while it will not happen often it will be glorious when it does.