PDA

View Full Version : Starting gold for higher levels.

Hollysword
2016-08-22, 08:58 AM
Still a bit new to 5e, I noticed that while low levels don't really start with anything fancy, mid levels and beyond start with a lot of extra gold, in addition to magic items.

What are those gold generally used for? I don't think they'll just be carrying that much gold around.

mgshamster
2016-08-22, 09:13 AM
Once you've purchased all your mundane gear and any magical fear that your GM may allow you to purchase:

- Training. You guy purchase new languages and tool proficiencies. With GM permission, you might be able to purchase new skill proficiencies or even feats.
- Land. Buy a house, a keep, a church, a parcel of land, or something else somewhat permanent.
- Business ventures. Purchase/start a shop or a non-profit. Start up a guild. Gain a presence in a community.
- Help. Hire people to tend to your house or keep, or to guard and work your lands. Hire people to travel with you to cool your food and guard your wagon while you dungeon delve. Hire people to guard your back or give ranged support or to carry loot.
- Political Power. Use your money to gain favor with people in powerful positions. A donation to the bishop or the duke can go a long way towards gaining favor and friends. Fronting the money for an uprising can change the political scene. Use it to damage political opponents or spreading rumors about an organization you want eliminated.
- Artwork. Start a collection. Also requires a place to keep them; maybe in that house you bought using the above suggestion!
- Fancy Mundane gear. Spend more to make your gear look fancier. Don't just buy platemail, buy from the top Crafstman in the region to flaunt your wealth.
- Bribes. Remember that a good bribe requires cash on hand.
- Information. Good information costs money; want to bribe that guard using the above suggestion? Maybe he doesn't want gold, but wants a 50 GP pair of boots.
- A small army. Some jobs require more people. Whether that's an army of researchers gathering information or doing magical study, or a literal army of soldiers harassing the BBEG's front door while your party sneaks in the back to steal the MacGuffin. People cost money.

There's lots of things to do with gold, and most of them require thinking beyond the book. :)

RickAllison
2016-08-22, 09:51 AM
Still a bit new to 5e, I noticed that while low levels don't really start with anything fancy, mid levels and beyond start with a lot of extra gold, in addition to magic items.

What are those gold generally used for? I don't think they'll just be carrying that much gold around.

My DM lets us "buy" magic items with it, reasoning that a solo adventurer could well have gone into a dungeon and only been able to escape with an item or two rather than the hoard. Alternatively, use it to set up a business.

Hollysword
2016-08-22, 10:30 AM
Interesting backstory options, I see. Not much for the optimal player, but a dragon's hoard for the roleplayer. (Back in 3.5 and 4e, I always insist to my DM that I have a wooden shack, and a percent of all my gains go to upgrading it.)