PDA

View Full Version : fae blooded sorcerer origin

Spiritchaser
2016-08-22, 09:02 AM
I need a fae blood sorceress for a queen in my campaign, and I think I'll open it to PCs, notably a half elven Warlock and and pally.

I want it to emphasize escape, durability and evasiveness over raw damage.

Comparing with dragon sorcerer, eliminate bonus damage, possibly have resistance to fire for summer court, resistance to cold for winter.

I like the + hp + ac, so I would keep those or something like them. At level 14 I'd lose the wings and add some fae resistances

Finally I'd add access to a few fae or druid themed spells

Has anyone done something like this? Any thoughts?

Joe the Rat
2016-08-22, 09:15 AM
I'd borrow heavily from the Archfey Patron options on Warlock. Misty Escape is pretty nice. I think the expanded spells overlap some with sorcerer - swap out for druid spells or non-sorcerer enchantments where they occur. Note that if your warlock is Archfey, they won't get as much out of that feature.

You could trade damage resistance for enchantment resistance.

You could also borrow from storm sorcerer. One of their 1st level features is free, nonprovoking 10' of flight when they cast a spell (not cantrip). A 10' line-of-sight teleport might be an option.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-22, 09:26 AM
If you're willing to wait a few hours, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at homebrewing this properly. It's been in the back of my mind for a while, I just wasn't sure how to differentiate it thematically from the wild mage. Perhaps I can do that using your ideas.

Millstone85
2016-08-22, 09:53 AM
It is a bit bothersome how well warlock patrons work as sorcerous origins and vice versa.

Spiritchaser
2016-08-22, 09:55 AM
That would be tremendously helpful. Thanks. The next game will be tomorrow afternoon and theoretically they shouldn't meet her then... if they choose wisely they can't meet her until the next session in two weeks.

Wisdom is in short supply some nights.

Specter
2016-08-22, 09:56 AM
To me, that's a Druid origin.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-22, 10:01 AM
To me, that's a Druid origin.

I disagree. A druid circle is something a person chooses; it provides a philosophy by which the druid should live, among other things. A sorcerous origin is something you are born with. One of your distant ancestors was a fey prince, and now the magic of the Feywild has awoken within you. Fluff-wise, they're very different.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-22, 10:10 AM
Depends on the fluff. There may be a touch of something in you that allows you to connect to the world and cast as a druid, rather than just be a particularly fervent tree-hugger.

It is a bit bothersome how well warlock patrons work as sorcerous origins and vice versa.

So where's my Dragon Pact Warlock?
I find it handy for a quick brew. Some effort should go into differentiating patron/origin, though. Otherwise your Archfeyblood Sorlock is going to be limited on features.

Kryx
2016-08-22, 10:12 AM
I highly considered making a Fey version for my Sorcerer Rework (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SJkLv-WO), but felt it was far too similar to Warlock.

Though I did do Infernal so maybe there are some decent ideas there..

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-22, 10:22 AM
So where's my Dragon Pact Warlock?

I just did some playtesting of UristMcRandom's Elder Drake Pact (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?479936-Warlock-Patron-The-Elder-Wyrm-PEACH) which seemed pretty cool. I think DracoKnight did one called Pact of the Elder Wyrm as well.

Axorfett12
2016-08-22, 10:27 AM
I'd do something like this. Sorry I'm on a phone so tables are not happening.
Fey Bloodline:

Fey Magic:
You gain the following spells at the listed sorcerer level. These spells do not count against the number of Sorcerer spells you know.

Bonus spells:
Sorcerer level
1: Faerie Fire, Sleep
3: Enlarge/Reduce, Mirror Image
5: Bestow Curse, Blink
7: Determined by Court
9: Dominate Person

Fey Trickster:
Starting at 1st level, you inherit the guile of the Fey. You may use a bonus action to become invisible until the start of your next turn. You become visible if you attack or cast a spell. You may use this ability a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Ward of the Wild:
At 1st level, the latent magic around you begins to guard you. You may cast the spell Mage Armor without expending a spell slot.

Court Affiliation:
6th level, you pledge fealty to one of the four fey courts. Choose from the list below. You gain resistance to the damahe type listed. Your 7th level bonus spells are determined by this choice.

Spring: Resistance fire, spells Aura of Purity and Death Ward
Summer: Resistance fire, spells Fire Shield and Wall of Fire
Autumn: Resistance cold, spells Blight and Grasping Vine
Winter: Resistance cold, spells Fire Shield and Ice Storm

Faerie Wings
Starting at 14th level, you gain the ability to sprout a pair of insectoid wings from your back, gaining a flying speed equal to your current speed. You can create the wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them with a bonus action on your turn. You can't manifest your wings while wearing armor unless the armor is made to accommodate them, and clothing not made to accommodate your wings might be destroyed when you manifest them.

At 18th level, your use of Fey magic has granted you immunity to thier greatest tricks. You are constantly under the effects of See Invisibility. Additonally, you gain immunity to charm. When you use your Fey Trickster ability, you no longer become visible if you attack or cast a spell.

Edit: spelling. Also changed 18th level ability to grant see invisibility instead of Fey type.

RickAllison
2016-08-22, 10:49 AM
I disagree. A druid circle is something a person chooses; it provides a philosophy by which the druid should live, among other things. A sorcerous origin is something you are born with. One of your distant ancestors was a fey prince, and now the magic of the Feywild has awoken within you. Fluff-wise, they're very different.

Indeed, each of the classes have their own distinct flavor. Take a party of followers of Eldath, for example. The cleric is a worshiper who is given power, the Favored Soul Sorcerer is someone she chooses who has is not yet devoted to her, the Land Druid is someone who has chosen to protect her domain, the Feylock is someone who committed a crime against Eldath and so his penance is to go forth as her servant with the power to enact her will, the Theurgist studied the magic of the streams and stumbled upon the secrets of the goddess, and the Paladin believes that she supports him. All are followers of the same deity and somehow derive power from their connection to her (though the Paladin only has to believe in it, even if she doesn't reciprocate), but all have a distinct way they connect to her.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-22, 02:27 PM
Okay, I'm going to go for something a bit different to Axorfett12's offering, so that you can choose whichever your prefer.

Faerie Heritage. The arcane magic in your blood is the legacy of powerful fey magic. Perhaps it was originally intended as a trick or curse, but now it is yours to use as you see fit. You can speak, read and write Sylvan and whenever you apply your proficiency bonus to a Charisma check to interact with fey creatures, the bonus is doubled.

Furthermore, the spells from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473365-Ninja_Prawn-s-New-Fey-Spells-for-the-contest-PEACHing) are added to the sorcerer spell list for you.

Gloaming Haze. Starting at 1st level, you can cause a veil of twilight shadows to briefly surround you, immediately before or after you cast a spell of 1st level or higher. Doing so allows you to either Disengage or Dodge as a bonus action.

Moonshadow. Once you reach 6th level, you may use a bonus action to spend 2 sorcery points and become invisible for 1 hour. You become visible again if you attack or cast a spell before the hour expires.

Binder of Destinies. At 14th level, you can use 5 sorcery points to cast Geas. Once you have used this ability, you must spend at least one hour watching the sunset before you can use it again.

Otherworldly Charm. Beginning at 18th level, you gain immunity to the charmed condition. Whenever you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a Wisdom or Charisma save, they have disadvantage on the roll.

So, I dropped the HP/AC thing, because to me, fey are the opposite of 'tanky'. I like invisibility as a fey power - I was going to give it as a straight swap for the draconic wings feature at 14, but I wanted it online sooner and it seems that the 6th level features for both PHB origins consume sorcery points, so why not?

Overall, this subclass is focussed on providing freedom of movement and magical debuffing. Geas and Invisibility provide the out-of-combat utility.

Axorfett12
2016-08-22, 02:47 PM
I don't know if it is intentional, but Moonshadow does not specify a duration. Other than that I see no issue. Great work. I would expect nothing less from the author of the Fey Folio. I have no idea if mine is balanced or not. I whipped it up in 20 minutes of free time. Thoughts?

Ninja_Prawn
2016-08-22, 02:55 PM
I don't know if it is intentional, but Moonshadow does not specify a duration.

That's sort of intentional... but I do need to specify something. I'll go with the standard 1 hour that you'd get from the spell. It's primarily an exploration/stealth feature, after all.

I have no idea if mine is balanced or not. I whipped it up in 20 minutes of free time. Thoughts?

At first I thought yours was overpowered, but on reflection it's probably alright. It hews pretty close to WotC's material in most of the features. One thing I would note is that being treated as 'fey' rather than 'humanoid' has some interesting implications, and on balance there are as many drawbacks as there are benefits. Particularly if you have an ancient paladin in the party...

Spiritchaser
2016-08-22, 03:59 PM
I really love gloaming haze. It will make her quite durable with a very "avoidance-centric" kind of tankiness that won't feel like a meat shield.

Edit: I think the wording prevents its use on reactive spells, I'm looking at you shield...

Edit again: also, unrelated, but: nondescript is going to be added to my campaign as a Warlock spell for sure, maybe wizard too...