View Full Version : Project: OOTS for the Other People

Regneva
2007-07-06, 02:32 PM
Hi, I've been working on something about the OOTS for some time now. I've been getting help from a couple of friends but its time I'd like it to go public

What does "OOTS for the Other People" mean? OOTSOP is basicly "Unofficial text commentary targeted for people with no fantasy role playing experience or knowledge".

How many times have you thought "Ah he/she would find this so funny!" But stopped before sending the link because he/she has no idea who the Order of the Stick is and what they are doing? H/She has to read through the entire comic to make sense and boy how bored H/She would get!

I really enjoy Order of the Stick and there are tons of friends whom I'd like join in for the fun, IF ONLY they knew enough about FRP to get the story!
So the idea is this: Write up little notes and ideas for mostly every single strip, not killing it entirely but giving a general idea to the people who we assume has no knowledge about that spesific terminology or game jargon.

As an example, one would like to know more about that "3.5 edition" and what are "editions" of AD&D while reading strip #1.

If the reader does not know that a Mindflayer enjoys high intellect meals he or she may not understand why V is complaining in strip #31

While reading #90 one might not understand why Elan is yelling "I GOT 4!" if one does not know how a "Move Silently" check is made.

In addition to game rules, some jokes are hard to get since they involve things not everyone know about. (Like 401k plan or "I blame cerebus" or sorcerer fruit pies). Luckily we have a "Jokes you didn't get" thread just for that purpose. These should be added to the commentary.

Will it kill the strip? Possibly yes, but it will allow the reader to go on to the NEXT strip and enjoy the jokes that are NOT related to the fantasy world. For example, one might find it boring when V scribbles "Explosive Runes" the FIRST time for the goblins, but after the spells purpose is learned, it would more hilarius for the reader the next time he encounters Him/Her using the same spell! :)

So how do you contribute? Well, you go find your favourite, game rules oriented strip and write a description for it. Define the jokes, Look things up from the "Jokes you didn't get" thread. USE REFERENCES to the earlier strips. Don't define "Evasion" every time Haley uses it, just make a reference to the FIRST strip it is mentioned in. Example: (Ref. #74)

And that would just be it! We would have a library of strip definitions that we can categorize and distribute or link to people who we'd like to share our oots fanatism :)

Please post your opinions and ideas!

Scarab83
2007-07-06, 02:38 PM
More power to ya..

However, in my opinion, if you have to explain a joke, it's not really that funny anymore. A lot of the humor is meant for those that have played the game and do understand the little nuances.

theStorminMormo
2007-07-06, 02:44 PM
So the idea is this: Write up little notes and ideas for mostly every single strip, not killing it entirely but giving a general idea to the people who we assume has no knowledge about that spesific terminology or game jargon.

As an example, one would like to know more about that "3.5 edition" and what are "editions" of AD&D while reading strip #1...

And that would just be it! We would have a library of strip definitions that we can categorize and distribute or link to people who we'd like to share our oots fanatism :)

Please post your opinions and ideas!

My opinion is that that's exactly what it is about FRP that turns so many people off. Not only do we have dozens of hundred-page rule books, but we also write compendiums for our comics.

However I've kind of answered the question of whether it's a good idea or not. It will only further turn off those who already have an aversion to FRP, but FRPers love compendiums so much I'm sure you'll have plenty of support anyway.

SensFan
2007-07-06, 07:57 PM
Maybe I'm worng, but doesn't WotC copywright laws prohibit OotS from mentioning what a Will Save or Attack Roll is? To my knowlege, the only reason Rich is allowed to make a comic about DnD is that WotC cannot copyright the words "Will Save", only the words which mean "d20+Wisdom+other mods, made to resist mind-affecting things".

Scarab83
2007-07-07, 12:59 AM
Maybe I'm worng, but doesn't WotC copywright laws prohibit OotS from mentioning what a Will Save or Attack Roll is? To my knowlege, the only reason Rich is allowed to make a comic about DnD is that WotC cannot copyright the words "Will Save", only the words which mean "d20+Wisdom+other mods, made to resist mind-affecting things".

I can't see how that's even possible. There's even a wikipedia article about it all, and they haven't sued yet.

Ithekro
2007-07-07, 01:11 AM
It is wikipedia. Who do you sue?

Twilight Jack
2007-07-07, 01:15 AM
All the basic rules of the game, including all saves, are included within the SRD, which makes them part of the Open Game License. Using these elements of the game is not a copyright violation of any kind. Weirdly, calling it Dungeons & Dragons is.

gatitcz
2007-07-07, 01:15 AM
Nice idea, though I have to say, I've never played D&D and I still get the jokes. If you know it's a dice game where people play as wizard and warrior characters, you should be able to figure it out (for example, I figured out the mind flayer meal and references to the various checks without a problem). Now, in the past month since I found this comic, I have gone onto wikipedia to get a bit more background - but to be honest, while it does add something, it does me more good when I'm looking at the forums than when I'm reading the comics.

ETA: As for copyright violations, you can do a lot of things under fair use. It depends on whether you're in it for profit, how much of the source material you're taking, and a couple other things, but this sort of project would probably be fine.

Gefangnis
2007-07-07, 01:16 AM
No no no, all of that is publicly released in the SRD.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/srdfaq/20040123c

It's all public domain. Happy, happy public domain. Rich got in trouble for the mind flayer because that's not SRD.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Regneva
2007-07-07, 01:17 AM
Well if copyright could be an issue (I believe not) we can keep the contributors for each strip confidential, as in anonymous.

Zicmu
2007-07-07, 01:31 AM
Ok, I'm interested :smallamused:
Let's make an OOTSpedia together!
Have you thought of the FORM of your reference? Should It be plain text or PDF ot HTML pages?
I can contribute by developing the project site (if any needed) or help to design the projects documents itself.
Anyway, I'm in.
Awaiting assignment. PM me.

EDIT:Jokes You Didn't Get suggestion removed. Have not noticed. :)

Wiggle
2007-07-07, 02:52 AM
One of my "other" favourite (yep I'm not American - check the spelling!) webcomics is Irregular Webcomic (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/) created by the talented Australian artist David Morgan-Mar. He annotates every one of his comics with a running commentary, normally explaining the jokes.

The main reason he does so is that many of his jokes are based on scientific concepts that may not be readily apparent to the layman. For example: this recent comic/commentary on why dwarves need solariums. (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/1621.html)

There is an option to toggle the commentary on/off - personally I prefer it for a few reasons:-

(1) It personalises the comic, and makes it feel as if the writer is talking directly to you

(2) It gives a glimpse into the mind of the author

(3) It makes the writer seem approachable and not aloof with his fans (not making any assumptions re: THIS webcomic!)

(4) Lastly, it can explain those tricky bits of humour, concepts etc we don't quite get.

Alynn
2007-07-07, 03:17 AM
(4) Lastly, it can explain those tricky bits of humour, concepts etc we don't quite get.

To be honest, having to explain the humor ruins it. Nothing is worse telling a joke to someone then having to explain what the joke means directly after. Usually the response is, "Oh, I see." It's not fun for the person telling the joke, nor the person hearing the joke.

Also, as in your comic example, the explination of Vitimin D is an insult to me. I know what Vitimin D is, and anyone with I'd wager 5th grade (or whatever grade in your local area where they have biology or health classes) education should know what Vitimin D is. Hell, my daughter knew what it was at the age of 4, because she asked me why milk had a big D on it.

Either you get it or you don't, if you choose to learn more about the situation, then you go and do the research, which is what this compendium is about, giving a centralized location for others to do research for D&D concepts.

Although to be honest, between the SRD and everything else out there, do we really need something like this. If the answer is, well it will only pertain to situations that occur specifically in the OOTS storyline, then I could see it as a worthwhile endevor. If it will just rehash what is already stated in the SRD, and other source material, it's really not worth anyone's time. You know, no point reinventing the wheel and all.

Wiggle
2007-07-07, 03:29 AM
To be honest, having to explain the humor ruins it. Nothing is worse telling a joke to someone then having to explain what the joke means directly after. Usually the response is, "Oh, I see." It's not fun for the person telling the joke, nor the person hearing the joke.

I do tend to agree! I appreciate annotations/commentary more from the point of view of explaining concepts/background/inspiration etc.

I'm sorry that the Irregular reference was too simple and would be obvious to all aged five and above. The annotation to this Irregular comic (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/1420.html) is far more complex. I'm not suggesting that complex is necessarily good. I completely understand the humour of this comic, but not completely the science involved. If you wanted to delve deeper in the topic, and only "if", the author explains at length here his interest in the subject (my point (2) above). You don't have to read the annotation if you don't want to - leave it a mystery if needs be

Regneva
2007-07-08, 06:45 AM
Well! Thanks Zicmu! :) As soon as we decide on key points we may begin :) The "OOTSpedia" thing sounds very very interesting :D

The form of the project would be HTML pages, having hyperlinks for references and outside sources. The descriptions will be as short and as effective as possible. I'm planning on setting up a web site for the effort. Users will register to contribute and comment.

If it turns out to be successful and popular (Not yet focusing or hoping on that), I'm planning on asking Rich for making it official.

For the one's who still have trouble what this is for, I'll post some examples here soon.

Zicmu
2007-07-16, 12:05 PM
No activity on this thread :( I hope, temporarily :smallwink:
Note to Regneva:
I'm sorry to disturb you again, but you have not replied for the PM I sent a couple of days ago. Though as I can judge by your forum activity, you sometimes visit it.
Maybe you don't have any free time.
Maybe you decided to freeze the project.
Maybe they disabled the PM system.
But anyway if you see this messasge, please inform me if you can for I'm eager to begin working :smile: