PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and feats

dj543210
2016-08-22, 11:44 AM
Are there any feats a control focused wizard should ever take when leveling or should they stick to ability score bonuses? Thoughts?

Addaran
2016-08-22, 11:47 AM
Are there any feats a control focused wizard should ever take when leveling or should they stick to ability score bonuses? Thoughts?

Most crowd control are concentration if i remember right (at least low level), so Resilient (Con) or Warcaster would be nice.

hymer
2016-08-22, 11:48 AM
Resilient: Con and Warcaster are worth considering. The coolest BC spells take Concentration, so boosting Concentration saves can certainly be worth considering.

Edit: Shadowmonk'ed.

gfishfunk
2016-08-22, 11:59 AM
Some ideas off the top of my head:

- Resilience: Con
- War Caster (My preference, especially for the opportunity attack cantrip / spell)
- Alert --> Goof for getting control spells off immediately and potentially saving everyone else from a surprise round
- Actor: Big potential if you are creating illusions, especially of people, or using effects to mimic voices
- Keen Mind: Big potential if you are creating illusions, being able to remember with detail fine details for illusions

Yup.

Grey Watcher
2016-08-22, 12:00 PM
Secondarty to boosting Concentration, Alert and Observant are good for avoiding being surprised and even a nice boost to initiative, so you can start controlling as soon as demi-humanly possible.

Spell Sniper has possibilities for Things to Do With Your Action while You Concentrate.

MaxWilson
2016-08-22, 01:11 PM

Lucky is too useful to overlook. Can negate critical hits, help you keep concentration, help in non-combat scenes (persuasion, etc.), prevent Banshees from KOing your weak Con save, etc. Not all of those at once of course because the resource is limited, but it's probably the single most versatile feat in the game.

Non-optimal, but Light -> Medium -> Heavy Armor proficiency is also potentially fun in the right circumstances (e.g. a non-multiclassing game where you can't just start as a Fighter).

If you do start as a Fighter 1 and you plan to tank, I'd suggest both Resilient (Wisdom) and Warcaster (for Booming Blade/Tasha's Uncontrollable Laughter) as soon as you can reasonably afford it.

Specter
2016-08-22, 02:00 PM
Resilient (Con), and with an odd INT Observant. That's it, really. If at high levels with int maxed, Alert.

Saeviomage
2016-08-22, 11:47 PM
- Keen Mind: Big potential if you are creating illusions, being able to remember with detail fine details for illusions

Also targeting teleports, making use of that teleportation circle you saw through scrying, memorizing spells without your spellbook, using prestidigitation to duplicate keys you've seen etc etc.

I'd also suggest ritual caster (cleric) or ritual caster (druid), they're just generally useful even if you have a cleric/druid (in part because he can let you fill your ritual book).