PDA

View Full Version : Question about altering a magic item

Tyrant
2016-08-22, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to alter the number of activations of a magic item? For instance, the Deathstrike Bracers can be activated three time a day. Can this number be increased or can the effect be made to be continuous?

InvisibleBison
2016-08-22, 12:22 PM
Yes, this is possible, as per the improving magic item rules in the Magic Item Compendium. You just have to pay the difference in price between the old item and the new one.

Segev
2016-08-22, 01:32 PM
Yes, this is possible, as per the improving magic item rules in the Magic Item Compendium. You just have to pay the difference in price between the old item and the new one.

Which, to be precise, is achieved fairly simply. If an item is usable 3x/day, divide its cost by 3, and add that much to its current price for each additional use/day you want. If you get it up to 5 uses/day, it is actually the same price as an unlimited-uses-per-day item.

SirNMN
2016-08-22, 09:20 PM
Which, to be precise, is achieved fairly simply. If an item is usable 3x/day, divide its cost by 3, and add that much to its current price for each additional use/day you want. If you get it up to 5 uses/day, it is actually the same price as an unlimited-uses-per-day item.

but I find that DM are more likely to allow a 5/per day than unlimited

Segev
2016-08-23, 02:58 PM
but I find that DM are more likely to allow a 5/per day than unlimited

Sure. They're just the same price, by the rules provided for pricing magic items. If a DM won't allow an unlimited-uses item, then obviously you can't have it.

Fizban
2016-08-24, 03:57 AM
There is no rule explicitly covering such an upgrade, but as mentioned it's easy enough to figure out. However, for some items it seems pretty clear they're meant to be balanced by their low number of charges. Even if you can buy multiple copies for cheap you'd still have to switch them out mid combat, wasting many actions and AoOs. As with any custom magic item you've got to get through the DM.

Deathstrike Bracers shouldn't need the restriction though, there are other items in the same book that let you sneak attack certain types at-will (the weapon crystals), the bracers are meant to be your versatile option with a limit, but paying a bunch to increase that limit is the same as buying the other items.