PDA

View Full Version : Druid/Fighter Action Surge Question...

Nefariis
2016-08-22, 05:17 PM
Another interesting debate occurred surrounding a druid/fighter and multi-attack and I was curious as to how you guys would rule.

Fighter2/Druid2

MultiAttack (Brown Bear) and Action Surge.

Action Surge:
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action

Multi-Attack is an Action (It's a 'MultiAttack Action') and the Action Surge gives you one additional action.

Is there any reason why this character cannot multi-attack twice?

As a side question (this was also debated) - Would a character be able to break up his multi-attack action, say to move or to use his bonus action?

So claw, move, bite or claw, Bonus Action, bite? or would you consider it all one action and that has to be resolved before he can take another action?

Thanks

Dalebert
2016-08-22, 05:54 PM
Definitely, you can multi-attack twice with action surge just like if you have extra attack you can attack twice with your action surge.

How you attack has always been flexible in certain ways.

1) You can use your movement very flexibly at different point, e.g. move 10 ft, attack, move 5 ft, attack, move 10 ft, off-hand attack as bonus action. Action surge gives no additional movement unless you use it for the dash action but what movement you have can be used at any point in your turn.

2) You can take your bonus action before your attack action as long as you meet the criteria, e.g. with two-weapon fighting, you're allowed to take your off-hand attack first but you MUST then take the attack action or you weren't qualified to do the off-hand. I'm not sure about when you have two attack actions and a bonus action but I see no reason to handle it differently. Two-weapon fighting isn't relevant in wild shape but if you action surge, it should be fine to take the attacks granted by the two multi-attacks in any order and with any amount of movement between them, at the risk of triggering AoO, of course.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:27 PM
Another interesting debate occurred surrounding a druid/fighter and multi-attack and I was curious as to how you guys would rule.

Fighter2/Druid2

MultiAttack (Brown Bear) and Action Surge.

Action Surge:
Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action

Multi-Attack is an Action (It's a 'MultiAttack Action') and the Action Surge gives you one additional action.

Is there any reason why this character cannot multi-attack twice?

As a side question (this was also debated) - Would a character be able to break up his multi-attack action, say to move or to use his bonus action?

So claw, move, bite or claw, Bonus Action, bite? or would you consider it all one action and that has to be resolved before he can take another action?

Thanks

You can take any action with action surge.

Which is what makes action surge broken, especially when you multiclass.

orange74
2016-08-22, 06:54 PM
I would rule that Action Surge turns you into two bears.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:57 PM
I would rule that Action Surge turns you into two bears.

Well, only if your original form is a "bear" as using it twice like that would turn you into a bear and then into your original form (or perhaps a different bear).

RickAllison
2016-08-22, 06:58 PM
Well, only if your original form is a "bear" as using it twice like that would turn you into a bear and then into your original form (or perhaps a different bear).

He's a werebear bearbarian bearfolk who turns into a bear, rides a bear, and summons more bears. His onslaught is unbearable!

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 10:18 PM
He's a werebear bearbarian bearfolk who turns into a bear, rides a bear, and summons more bears. His onslaught is unbearable!

The character could also be the Bear in his relationship, which would make things even more hairy.

Nefariis
2016-08-23, 10:43 AM
The character could also be the Bear in his relationship, which would make things even more hairy.

Damn, GITP is on to me already - and this is only my third post....

Specifically the question was pertaining to this -

- Turn into a bear on turn one.
- On turn two, use multi-attack to attack with a bite first, then move 10ft, then use a Bonus Action for an attack (assuming he qualified), then use the second attack of multi-attack (claws).

We were debating whether or not with multi-attack, he could start another attack while he was still resolving his first multi-attack (an attack within an attack).

Thanks,

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-23, 11:20 AM
Damn, GITP is on to me already - and this is only my third post....

Specifically the question was pertaining to this -

- Turn into a bear on turn one.
- On turn two, use multi-attack to attack with a bite first, then move 10ft, then use a Bonus Action for an attack (assuming he qualified), then use the second attack of multi-attack (claws).

We were debating whether or not with multi-attack, he could start another attack while he was still resolving his first multi-attack (an attack within an attack).

Thanks,

Why do you need to turn into two bears?

Moon Druid
BA: Wildshape (Bear)
Action: Multiattack
Action Surge: Multiattack

(Move whenever you wish)

Nefariis
2016-08-23, 12:13 PM
Why do you need to turn into two bears?

What? No I dont, where did you get that?

We were just discussing if it were possible to take a bonus action to attack in the middle of a multi-attack action.

We got in a magic card-esque rules question where a few of us think you can do anything you want between attacks and a few of us thought that you have to resolve the multi-attack action first, before you can use a bonus attack action.

This has nothing to do with the "unbearable onslaught" that would occur if someone turned into a "werebear bearbarian bearfolk who turns into a bear, rides a bear, and summons more bears."