PDA

View Full Version : Druid Curse and Enchantment Spells

Rakoa
2016-08-22, 06:02 PM
I am making a Witchdoctor character for an upcoming game, and have decided that Spirit Shaman is the way to go. The class is capable of many things I envision for my character, but a few things it is not. I have not been able to find any Druid spells that can enchant targets on any level, be it charming or dominating (outside of animals), or even Suggestion-type spells. I've also not found a way to curse enemies, such as by the Bestow Curse line of spells or some other permanent (or at least long-lasting) method.

I turn to you now, to point me in the direction of Druid spells that can fulfill these tasks. Failing this, I hope for other options that I can use to reasonably accomplish this task. I have noticed that the Domination and Destiny domains fulfill each of these niches nicely, but I have not found a satisfactory way to get them on a Spirit Shaman. Extra Spell is an option, but it would likely eat up 3/4 of my feat slots (and that is assuming I can convince my DM that the spells chosen can be from any list).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sapreaver
2016-08-22, 06:54 PM
Couldn't you re fluff a cleric and take bonus domain twice to get those two and start not as a god worshipping cleric but instead as a cleric of a cause?

eggynack
2016-08-23, 01:40 AM
There's certainly not a massive amount of that sort of effect. Druids more frequently get such things through proxies. Perhaps the most powerful such effect druids get is summon fey, from kingdoms of kalamar. In this context, it's a first level spell that lets you summon a pixie, which has a lot of good not-druid stuff, or a nixie, which specifically has charm person, or a bunch of other cool fey. That effect eventually scales up, with the far more powerful (but not for its level) fey ring (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a). There's a ton of cool fey that have effects like this, and my handbook has a lot of the good ones. For curses specifically, I don't know many of them, but curse of the gypsies (Dragon Magazine #348, 75) is a druid accessible spell with some cursing effect. I mean, it's not all that good, and my primary claimed use for it is hitting someone in the party so you can repel animals, but it fits thematically super well. Another interesting spell which happens to include the word "curse" is curse of spilt water(Dragon Magazine #334, 74), and fey also happen to have some bestow curse access, so that's a thing. It's not a great set of things, but, y'know, even a small list is better than no list.

weckar
2016-08-23, 05:22 AM
When in doubt, UMD.

Failing that, isn't there a Divine/Warlock hybrid class out there somewhere? Because I feel Warlock could basically shore up those shortcomings.

Wonton
2016-08-23, 05:32 AM
3.5? You could try importing the Witch from Pathfinder, it seems to do exactly what you want to. Curses, enchantments, charms, witch doctor flavour, even some druid flavour, it's all there.

Darrin
2016-08-23, 09:02 AM
If you don't mind or can mitigate the LA +2, consider adding the Half-Fey template (Fiend Folio) to the spirit shaman. This adds a lot of charm/enchantment spells as SLAs, including charm person at will.

If you want to add a domain to a spirit shaman, then take Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion) to get Knowledge: Religion as a class skill, then go into Contemplative (Complete Divine). Finding a nature-friendly deity with the Domination domain might be a bit tricky... actually, no. Quetzalcoatl is pretty nature-ish, he's got animal and sky and air, birds and snakes, etc. Or try Myrhiss, Flan goddess of Love, Romance, and Beauty. For Destiny, maybe try Celestian (Fharlanghn's brother).

As far as spells go, mark of the outcast (Spell Compendium, Dru 2) is a type of curse. Disease kinda works like a curse, so maybe look at contagion (Dru 3), contagious touch (Spell Compendium, Dru 4), or plague (PHBII, Dru 7). Langour (Spell Compendium, Dru 4) can be used like ray of enfeeblement/slow. Dire hunger (Spell Compendium, Dru 5) is sort of like an enchantment, but technically transmutation. Ah, here's an actual enchantment: sleep mote (Sandstorm, Dru 5) can put creatures to sleep.

Checking the Summoner's Desk Reference (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?255219-The-Summoner-s-Desk-Reference-D-amp-D-3-5) for SLAs available via Summon Nature's Ally... not a lot of fey, though, and no interesting SLAs up through SNA3.

SNA4: Unicorn has mostly healing stuff.
SNA5: Nixie has charm person 3/day.
SNA6: Pixie has lesser confusion 1/day, Oread has charm monster 3/day.
SNA7: Kelp Angler has confusion 1/day.
SNA8: Not much, but Sporebat (FF) has enervation, kinda a curse.
SNA9: Kelpie has charm person and emotion 3/day.

As eggynack mentioned, fey ring (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040710a) can be used something like planar ally to gain the services of a fey creature. You could negotiate a period of service, or add them as a cohort/minion via Leadership. Even if they aren't a tag-along sort of minion, a spirit shaman with a spell-storing item (Glyph Seal, Ring/Arrow of Spell Storing, Chardalyn, Skull Talisman, etc.) could visit a dryad, gloura, or elemental weird and ask them to cast a spell into that.