PDA

View Full Version : Create bonfire + thornwhip

LVOD
2016-08-22, 06:11 PM
This seems like an obvious combo, so has anyone had any luck using these cantrips together?

Common sense would say that you should be able to concentrate on your bonfire, and just sort of move each turn so your enemy is on the other side of it. Then thorn whip and profit.

I'm making a druid soon, and was trying to decide on an attack cantrip. So thoughts?

RulesJD
2016-08-22, 06:19 PM
In terms of Druid cantrips, I can confirm that combo is both useful and fun. Works well with Cantrip + Wildshape -> next round Grapple and pin in fire. Then burn + attack.

RickAllison
2016-08-22, 06:24 PM
This seems like an obvious combo, so has anyone had any luck using these cantrips together?

Common sense would say that you should be able to concentrate on your bonfire, and just sort of move each turn so your enemy is on the other side of it. Then thorn whip and profit.

I'm making a druid soon, and was trying to decide on an attack cantrip. So thoughts?

Works best if you have other people to combine it with. A grappler, a warlock with Repelling Blast, the works. You need to keep having fodder for the fire.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:30 PM

Throw this combo onto a Monk.

DragonSorcererX
2016-08-22, 06:40 PM

I thought you were trying to make a Flaming Thornwhip... I was clickbaited... :smallfrown:

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:42 PM
I thought you were trying to make a Flaming Thornwhip... I was clickbaited... :smallfrown:

Are you telling me you can't tell an thread from an ad? Are you working with whole foods?

Dalebert
2016-08-22, 06:42 PM
Or wildshape into a creature with good grappling/restraining options like a giant constrictor snake or a giant scorpion to move and hold them there.

Shaofoo
2016-08-22, 06:49 PM
You can only pull with thorn whip. I can't see how this combo can work more than once unless the enemy is constantly trying to move over the bonfire over and over and there is little space to work with.

The combo works but probably not as well as you are imagining it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:51 PM
You can only pull with thorn whip. I can't see how this combo can work more than once unless the enemy is constantly trying to move over the bonfire over and over and there is little space to work with.

The combo works but probably not as well as you are imagining it.

Shadow Monk. Teleport around to the other side of the bonfire, I mean, it should be casting shadows due to the other creatures or teammates.

Waffle_Iron
2016-08-22, 07:12 PM
Shadow Monk. Teleport around to the other side of the bonfire, I mean, it should be casting shadows due to the other creatures or teammates.

Oooo. Shadowmonk/ underdark land Druid.

RickAllison
2016-08-22, 07:19 PM
Oooo. Shadowmonk/ underdark land Druid.

Ah, the shadow of nature. His natural enemy is the flashlight, beacon of the light of civilization.

Shaofoo
2016-08-22, 07:26 PM

Kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise since the purpose is to consider Druid cantrips. It isn't a good combo if we have to multiclass to make it work.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 08:51 PM
Kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise since the purpose is to consider Druid cantrips. It isn't a good combo if we have to multiclass to make it work.

What are you talking about?

Multiclassing doesn't defeat any purpose and Monk/Druid is a fantastic multiclass combo.

Maxilian
2016-08-23, 11:10 AM

Why does it defeat the purpose? MC is not a bad option, also it doesn't mean its needed either, its just a nice combo.

I mean we will still be using a Druid cantrip (and Monk and Druid share their main stats)

Shaofoo
2016-08-23, 03:35 PM
What are you talking about?

Multiclassing doesn't defeat any purpose and Monk/Druid is a fantastic multiclass combo.

Why does it defeat the purpose? MC is not a bad option, also it doesn't mean its needed either, its just a nice combo.

I mean we will still be using a Druid cantrip (and Monk and Druid share their main stats)

It does because the purpose of this discussion is to discuss the Thorn Whip + Create Bonfire combo as is, saying that it needs a new class to make it work defeats the purpose especially since the OP makes no mention on Multiclassing or wanting to take monk levels at all.

GitP: You'll multiclass and you'll LIKE IT! Never change you crazy dogs.

Maxilian
2016-08-24, 09:51 AM
It does because the purpose of this discussion is to discuss the Thorn Whip + Create Bonfire combo as is, saying that it needs a new class to make it work defeats the purpose especially since the OP makes no mention on Multiclassing or wanting to take monk levels at all.

Noone said it was a necessity to make it work, its just an option.

Note: You're right, he never mentioned MC but never took out the possibility of it, so yeah...

R.Shackleford
2016-08-24, 09:59 AM

OP: how can this work
Giantitp: Use MC
You: OMG DON'T USE MC

???

It's like getting mad at people for answering the question "how do you get 5" and then answering "3 + 2" and you don't want addition to be used.

Not sure why you have a problem with all this.

I would say to go straight Shadow Monk, no druid levels at all, and make yourself into a druid by using magic initiate (Druid: Create Bonfire + Thorn Whip + Goodberry). Then you can teleport around and use these two cantrips.

Take the folk hero or hermit background and you have yourself a druid.

The NPC druid example actually doesn't have wildshape

Joe the Rat
2016-08-24, 11:30 AM
Meh, why be druid at all? Magic Initiate and a decent Wisdom score lets anybody try this.
(Or Charisma on a Tomelock. Bonfire, Thorn Whip, Repelling Blast. No matter where you go, you're going to end up in the fire.)

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 11:31 AM
Meh, why be druid at all? Magic Initiate and a decent Wisdom score lets anybody try this.
(Or Charisma on a Tomelock. Bonfire, Thorn Whip, Repelling Blast. No matter where you go, you're going to end up in the fire.)

"I have an unhealthy obsession with fire, and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Rysto
2016-08-24, 11:48 AM

On a Tomelock, wouldn't Lightning Lure be better? It's on the warlock list natively so you don't have to burn one of your tome cantrips on it.

I've long wanted to build a Arcana cleric with Booming Blade that takes Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and Thorn Whip. Get Spirit Guardians up and then use Thorn Whip to drag them into Spirit Guardian range, and use Booming Blade to encourage them to stay there.

Joe the Rat
2016-08-24, 12:00 PM
On a Tomelock, wouldn't Lightning Lure be better? It's on the warlock list natively so you don't have to burn one of your tome cantrips on it.

I've long wanted to build a Arcana cleric with Booming Blade that takes Magic Initiate for Shillelagh and Thorn Whip. Get Spirit Guardians up and then use Thorn Whip to drag them into Spirit Guardian range, and use Booming Blade to encourage them to stay there.

Tractor beam or spikey tentacle? Hmmm.
I like that spirit guardian/thorn/boom combo. I may have to introduce that to my players by the usual method.

Shaofoo
2016-08-24, 05:09 PM
OP: how can this work
Giantitp: Use MC
You: OMG DON'T USE MC

???

It's like getting mad at people for answering the question "how do you get 5" and then answering "3 + 2" and you don't want addition to be used.

Not sure why you have a problem with all this.

I would say to go straight Shadow Monk, no druid levels at all, and make yourself into a druid by using magic initiate (Druid: Create Bonfire + Thorn Whip + Goodberry). Then you can teleport around and use these two cantrips.

Take the folk hero or hermit background and you have yourself a druid.

The NPC druid example actually doesn't have wildshape

Bolded to show you the problem.

The OP wants a druid and you (and everyone else apparently) are saying "Screw that go monk!" as if somehow the two cantrips are much more important to the character as literally anything else that you might want to be a druid (cause stats is king) even if the combo might not work out as well as you'd like. So yeah good job trying to represent the entirety of GitP as a bunch of minmaxers, at the least you are on the pulse cause I do think that the usual GitP wisdom is to never ever go multiclassing as a Druid cause then you'll ruin your "infinite HP level 20 OMG such broken" so in a way I can't really say that you are wrong.

But to actually be on the actual topic and not be all about on the two cantrips, the combo is not that good even with monk minmaxing because you can only have 10 feet to work with from the bonfire even if you can pull from any angle. It'll only work in very closed places where you will have the bad guys enclosed. It will only make a curbstomb battle the easier but I don't think it'll help you when the odds aren't in your favor.

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 05:35 PM
Bolded to show you the problem.

The OP wants a druid and you (and everyone else apparently) are saying "Screw that go monk!" as if somehow the two cantrips are much more important to the character as literally anything else that you might want to be a druid (cause stats is king) even if the combo might not work out as well as you'd like. So yeah good job trying to represent the entirety of GitP as a bunch of minmaxers, at the least you are on the pulse cause I do think that the usual GitP wisdom is to never ever go multiclassing as a Druid cause then you'll ruin your "infinite HP level 20 OMG such broken" so in a way I can't really say that you are wrong.

But to actually be on the actual topic and not be all about on the two cantrips, the combo is not that good even with monk minmaxing because you can only have 10 feet to work with from the bonfire even if you can pull from any angle. It'll only work in very closed places where you will have the bad guys enclosed. It will only make a curbstomb battle the easier but I don't think it'll help you when the odds aren't in your favor.

Spell Sniper can help, but it is really difficult to pull off unless the party is built to take advantage of it.

Shaofoo
2016-08-24, 05:58 PM
Spell Sniper can help, but it is really difficult to pull off unless the party is built to take advantage of it.

Spell Sniper does nothing about the 10 foot pull, it only increases the distance from 30 to 60 feet.

The Cantrips does have some synergy but I doubt that they'd become your bread and butter since they rely too much on positioning to make it work consistently.

RickAllison
2016-08-24, 06:05 PM
Spell Sniper does nothing about the 10 foot pull, it only increases the distance from 30 to 60 feet.

The Cantrips does have some synergy but I doubt that they'd become your bread and butter since they rely too much on positioning to make it work consistently.

True, true. But can you imagine the chaos if you had a party dropping Spike Growth, Hunger of Hadar, Create Bonfire, and then all were rocking either push/pull effects, grappling, or otherwise screwing with movement? It would just get ridiculous :smallbiggrin: