PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Benefactor

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-22, 06:50 PM
So I play a bit of 13th Age every so often and I really love the Icons.

Then I realized something, the Warlock has a watered down but more direct version of these as their class features (so do clerics too technically) called the Patron.

Well... I think a Fighter redesign allowing for a Benefactor to be part of their class features. This benefactor will give the Fighter special gifts, which can be secrete techniques or even magic (Eldritch Knight). Your benefactor will determine your Martial Archetype.

If your benefactor is a wizard, say an uncle or friend of the family that helps you out from time to time, well you become an Eldritch Knight

If your benefactor is a military general, one that you met during your time in the military, you will become a Warblade.

If your benefactor is Grizzly Adams the Ranger, you will become a Warden.

But why do this change?

Because as it is right now the Fighter is the odd one out. Everyone else has a group or entity that they can call on r have some sort of support group. In game it makes little sense that such a grand warrior wouldn't have friends in high places. Hell, maybe you were friends with a prince who is now a king? Sure he won't do anything to make him lose his thrown, but you two are still friends. Perhaps he sends the fighter, say at level 12 or so, a magic weapon that bonds to him? Maybe he sends a tome to the fighter that details a new fighting technique?

There is so much roleplay material here that it is just begging to be looked into

Barbarians have their totems, clerics have their churches, bards have their colleges, monks have their monasteries and traditions, rogues have thieves guilds and thieves cant wove right into their class...

So how would you go about this?

Sigreid
2016-08-22, 06:59 PM
This just sounds like the faction ranks and faction perks, as described in the DMG.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-08-23, 08:54 AM
This just sounds like the faction ranks and faction perks, as described in the DMG.

Those factions are somewhat like what Icons are but... Icons are bigger and more specific.

Plus I'm thinking of specific class features to tie to them, much like deities and patrons, and not just something anyone can gain.