PDA

View Full Version : make a legendary captain tankier

willyryan
2016-08-23, 01:19 AM
so the dm is creating an aquatic campaign and I was going to make a 1expert, 5 swashbuckler, 10 legendary captain not sure after that
the stats i rolled is 17, 15, 15, 12, 12, 9 and 987g 5s
I'm getting knowledge geometry and able learner from expert
and I just found out I am the tank what can I do to "beef myself"
everything's allowed except gestalting

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-23, 05:46 AM
Geometry or Geography? Knowledge (Geometry) doesn't exist, normally.

Instead of taking a level in Expert, take a level in Ranger. Take Favoured Environment (sea/ocean), and you're not only a better captain, you also have additional hp, saves, bab and a bonus feat (even if it's only Track).

To tank up, don't go swashbuckler 5 - it's a weak class at best, and going further than 3 is really not useful. Instead, take two levels in swordsage. That gets you a bunch of counters (good for acrobatic fighting) and wisdom to AC in light armour. Ask your DM if you can use Kung-fu Genius to switch that over to intelligence. If you can't, and you can't spare the wisdom, you may want to go monk 1/swordsage 1 instead, and get int to AC that way.

willyryan
2016-08-23, 06:44 AM
Geometry or Geography? Knowledge (Geometry) doesn't exist, normally.

yeah meant geography

Instead of taking a level in Expert, take a level in Ranger. Take Favoured Environment (sea/ocean), and you're not only a better captain, you also have additional hp, saves, bab and a bonus feat (even if it's only Track).
i thought it was favored enemy not favored enviroment

To tank up, don't go swashbuckler 5 - it's a weak class at best, and going further than 3 is really not useful. Instead, take two levels in swordsage. That gets you a bunch of counters (good for acrobatic fighting) and wisdom to AC in light armour. Ask your DM if you can use Kung-fu Genius to switch that over to intelligence. If you can't, and you can't spare the wisdom, you may want to go monk 1/swordsage 1 instead, and get int to AC that way.
ok i was thinking in making wis my dump stat anyway

so 1 ranger, 3 swashbuckler, 1 swordsage, 2 legendary captain, 1 swordsage, 1 monk, 1 swordsage, 8 legendary captain
or did i get that wrong

A.A.King
2016-08-23, 06:50 AM
I thought it was favored enemy not favored enviroment

Favoured Enviroment is a Class Feature Variant from the SRD/Unearthed Arcana (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm)

willyryan
2016-08-23, 06:51 AM
a friend suggested I'd go 2 Swordsage / 2 Rogue / 2 Expert / 2 Iaijutsu Master / 3 Swashbuckler / 9 Legendary Captain.
is there a better way

willyryan
2016-08-23, 06:53 AM
Favoured Enviroment is a Class Feature Variant from the SRD/Unearthed Arcana (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm)

ok cool sounds awesome

A.A.King
2016-08-23, 07:04 AM
a friend suggested I'd go 2 Swordsage / 2 Rogue / 2 Expert / 2 Iaijutsu Master / 3 Swashbuckler / 9 Legendary Captain.
is there a better way

Yes, there is a better way, there is always a better way when you are considering an NPC class like Expert.

The thing is that Legendary Captain is a class whose sole purpose is too boost your Leadership score and your abilities to man a ship, so because it doesn't boost or favour any particular fighting style (outside of naval combat) you can combine it with most every fighting style.

The question isn't: Is there a better way?
The question should be: What kind of fighting style do you want your character to have when he isn't commanding a ship and what other things do you want your captain to do?

willyryan
2016-08-23, 07:13 AM
Yes, there is a better way, there is always a better way when you are considering an NPC class like Expert.

The thing is that Legendary Captain is a class whose sole purpose is too boost your Leadership score and your abilities to man a ship, so because it doesn't boost or favour any particular fighting style (outside of naval combat) you can combine it with most every fighting style.

The question isn't: Is there a better way?
The question should be: What kind of fighting style do you want your character to have when he isn't commanding a ship and what other things do you want your captain to do?

i am the tank of the party so absurd ac and ill prob be flanking a lot with the rogue so some heavy hits and or sneak attack wouldn't go astray

A.A.King
2016-08-23, 07:25 AM
i am the tank of the party so absurd ac and ill prob be flanking a lot with the rogue so some heavy hits and or sneak attack wouldn't go astray

Okay, final question before I give you some suggestions: What level will you be starting at?

willyryan
2016-08-23, 07:50 AM
Okay, final question before I give you some suggestions: What level will you be starting at?

srry forgot that info lol level 1

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-23, 07:53 AM
is there a better way
Yeah, there is, though it's sensible to include Iaijutsu Master, if you like that sort of thing.

Basically, you want lots of skill points, high intelligence, Weapon Finesse, and int to damage and AC, right?

Then try swashbuckler 3/factotum 3/monk 1/Iaijutsu Master 2/swordsage 1/Legendary Captain 10. Your feats are Improved Initative, Quick Draw, WF (Katana), and Leadership - to meet prerequisites - and Kung Fu Genius and Shadow Blade - to add int and dex to AC and damage, respectively. Due to the wording of the Iaijutsu Master's ability, you can get int to AC twice.

Overall result: dex to hit, damage and AC; int to damage, AC (twice) and to str/dex-based skill checks; cha to initiative.

willyryan
2016-08-23, 08:11 AM
Yeah, there is, though it's sensible to include Iaijutsu Master, if you like that sort of thing.

Basically, you want lots of skill points, high intelligence, Weapon Finesse, and int to damage and AC, right?

Then try swashbuckler 3/factotum 3/monk 1/Iaijutsu Master 2/swordsage 1/Legendary Captain 10. Your feats are Improved Initative, Quick Draw, WF (Katana), and Leadership - to meet prerequisites - and Kung Fu Genius and Shadow Blade - to add int and dex to AC and damage, respectively. Due to the wording of the Iaijutsu Master's ability, you can get int to AC twice.

Overall result: dex to hit, damage and AC; int to damage, AC (twice) and to str/dex-based skill checks; cha to initiative.

sounds awsome
wat would be good items to get

willyryan
2016-08-23, 08:26 AM
swashbuckler 3/factotum 3/monk 1/Iaijutsu Master 2/swordsage 1/Legendary Captain 10.

so out of the noncaptain levels wat would be the best progression I was thinking factorium 1/swashbuckler 3/factorium 2/monk 1/swordsage 1/Iaijutsu Master 2

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-23, 08:43 AM
so out of the noncaptain levels wat would be the best progression I was thinking factorium 1/swashbuckler 3/factorium 2/monk 1/swordsage 1/Iaijutsu Master 2
I put the swordsage level after Iaijutsu Master, to pick up a third-level maneuver straight away, but you can take it at 5th, and pick up a second-level maneuver. I'd move up the monk level, taking it right after factotum 1 or swashbuckler 1, and then what you have looks good.

willyryan
2016-08-23, 08:48 AM
I put the swordsage level after Iaijutsu Master, to pick up a third-level maneuver straight away, but you can take it at 5th, and pick up a second-level maneuver. I'd move up the monk level, taking it right after factotum 1 or swashbuckler 1, and then what you have looks good.

factorium 1/swashbuckler 1/monk 1/swashbuckler 2/factorium 2/Iaijutsu Master 2/swordsage 1
so like that :)

Darrin
2016-08-23, 09:07 AM
Instead, take two levels in swordsage.

Swordsage... for a tank? No. Crusader is the gold standard for tanks. If you want something more swashbucklerish, then I'd take Warblade (d12 HP) over Swordsage.

willyryan
2016-08-23, 09:38 AM
Swordsage... for a tank? No. Crusader is the gold standard for tanks. If you want something more swashbucklerish, then I'd take Warblade (d12 HP) over Swordsage.

because swordsage gives you an ac bonus

ExLibrisMortis
2016-08-23, 10:29 AM
Crusader is obviously the tank class, and I wouldn't suggest swordsage if it wasn't a captain (pirate?). Swordsage fits the class concept much better, and it does increase the tankiness of the build overall. Sure, it was only competing with levels in Swashbuckler, but still. I don't think the OP is looking for a super-optimized tank, just something with a few defensive options, and swordsage provides some movement, concealment/invisibility, Counter Charge, and Step of the Wind (great for moving about on ships). More levels of swordsage would be even better, as always.

willyryan
2016-08-24, 04:50 AM
Wat would be that best items to start with i have 987g 5s

Darrin
2016-08-24, 08:14 AM
Wat would be that best items to start with i have 987g 5s

Talk to Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)): Shapesand, Chaos Flasks, Eggshell Grenades.

willyryan
2016-08-26, 06:07 AM
Talk to Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook)): Shapesand, Chaos Flasks, Eggshell Grenades.

but i need weapons aswell

willyryan
2016-08-26, 06:09 AM

also dont have the wisdom to do that i only have 9

willyryan
2016-08-27, 08:32 PM
factorium 1/swashbuckler 1/monk 1/swashbuckler 2/factorium 2/Iaijutsu Master 2/swordsage 1
so like that :)

I'm not feeling the swashbuckler anymore and I'm having troubles meeting feat requirements what can I use instead so far I need
exotic weapon proficiency
able learner
improved initiative
quick draw
Kung-fu Genius
weapon focus katana
leadership
thinking maybe some fighter or pionic warrior
and replace monk with Ptah’s Cunning
and I can't seem to find deft defence