PDA

View Full Version : Fashion of D&D: How Is Your World Dressed?

RickAllison
2016-08-23, 01:52 AM
Title, how does fashion work in your world? Is it reserved for the rich, does it pervade every aspect of society? What cloths are in style, what cuts and draping? Footware? Jewelry? Matching hair? Or am I crazy for getting hung up on these details?

ZenBear
2016-08-23, 01:59 AM
This is a good bit of roleplaying to explore. I've never met a D&D player or DM that discussed it, and that's a shame. It would really help to get immersed into the story when you can imagine what the characters and NPCs look like.

Scaleybob
2016-08-23, 02:43 AM
Usually rather important in my games - clothes are important at any level of society and a good way of judging someones wealth or social class.

My game is set slightly later than most (sort of early industrial) so mass production of cloth has become a thing, allowing for more affordable and accessible clothing and fashion to become available.

There's also all these nouveau-riche adventurers and merchants running around spending up on what they think in high fashion, and looking absolutely ghastly.

Different races have different styles, but human fashion designers and tailors loot freely from any culture for their designs.

As a GM describing fashion, or clothes can be a good way of differentiating areas, or people.

Baptor
2016-08-23, 11:48 AM
Title, how does fashion work in your world? Is it reserved for the rich, does it pervade every aspect of society? What cloths are in style, what cuts and draping? Footware? Jewelry? Matching hair? Or am I crazy for getting hung up on these details?

Like a Renaissance Festival.

No seriously.

If you ever go to a Renaissance Fair, about 90% of the people are dressed in medieval or renaissance period garb. Then there is a small percentage dressed like adventurers would be: overly armed and armored and not necessarily in a fashionable way (8%). A smaller percentage dress up as monsters (2%) And then there's always that one guy or gal who comes to a Ren Fair dressed as a Sci-Fi character (i.e. someone from Planescape, less than 1%).

Tanarii
2016-08-23, 12:25 PM
It's by clothing style.

Common Clothes: draw-string pants & tunic, or simple dress. May include some fashion / fripperty, but not much. Shoes may be clogs, or basic simple shoes.

Traveling Clothes: heavy duty durable clothing, including warm cloak & heavy boots. This category also includes common winter clothing.

Costume: This is "simple fashionable" level. It can include things like a passable suit & tie, or vest & bowler hate, or a nice lace trimmings on your shirt.

Fine Clothes: Fashionable. Unless it's specifically designed to travel / adventure in, it's going to be ruined after your first expedition. Includes things like local Armani analogs and Nobles-of-France extravagance.