PDA

View Full Version : Boardgames 2 (imagine your own comic subtitle, I'm not creative)

caden_varn
2016-08-23, 08:02 AM
Since the original thread has passed beyond the pale (and because I have played some new games since), I thought it was time for another. Original thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?322238-Board-Games!)

So - new games.
A little while ago I got my Kickstarter copy of Kill Doctor Lucky. Cleaned up rules, faster play, actual pieces & a board that stays together! Quite fun for a quick game. Works pretty similarly as the original, with the ability to get activated multiple times & jump over other players turns, but you cannot do as much - if anyone (including the DR) can see you you cannot search, so the multiplt activation only really works to get him away from prying eyes (or to move multiple spaces without playing a move card). The corridors are now free moves, so no more getting stuck in the corridor for hours either.

Also got my preorder of Dead of Winter: Long Night. Only played one game so far, and haven't really done much with the modules. As a base game, it is basically Dead of Winter with some minor but interesting tweaks - for example, you can vote to stop the first player marker from moving at the end of the turn, so a traitor may need to be a bit more careful in his treachery. Some other little bits, like unruly helpless survivors & explosive traps add a few more elements, otherwise much the same game with new survivors.
We tried using the Improvements module, but we did not get any cards that allowed us to add anything, so no real impact (I suspect this was due to horrible shuffling and/or not reading the rules properly, although we only played 4 rounds, so might just be bad luck). Main advantage here is I have the game for myself rather than having to wait for my mate with the base game to come over.

Also played Liguria. A fun short game (around 1-1.5 hours) involving picking up paint for the local bishop's mural-painting project (or so I am told anyway). It has 2 main parts - upgrade your ship/port and sail around picking up paint & invading islands.
In the first part, you randomly pick a set of tiles that are up for grabs for upgrading. Thenj each player picks haw many tiles to pick up, in order. The lowest number of tiles gets to pick first, but you have to pick a contiguous set of tiles however (unless you can pay to jump), so it is difficult to get all the good tiles. Deciding whether to go first & just get one or 2 tiles, or last & get 5 is the strategy here.
The next phase, everyone picks a steering card, which gives some VPs and improves your capabilities for the turn - it might let you turn around in mid-journey (normally only allowed in parts), dock twice rather than once, or move faster. Each player then gets to sail round a circular island circuit, picking up paint for contracts, invading minor islands (for more paint), usurping other players control of minor islands, etc.
It has enough elements to be strategically interesting, and not so many that it makes my brain hurt. I'll happiliy play that one myself.

Any other new games people have played recently? Or interesting ones coming up/being Kickstarted?